FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should teachers be armed? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should teachers be armed?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I believe there are certain places where the public's right to expect a certain level of safety out-rules a private person's right to carry a gun.

Hospitals and schools are some of those places. I should be able to visit a hospital emergency room without fear that someone will pull a gun and shoot someone next to me (or me). My kids should attend school without guns around, unless those guns are in the hands of law enforcement personnel.

I hate, hate the idea of metal detectors in school. My kids' schools don't have them - though they do have rules about transparent backpacks and let kids know that lockers, coats, purses, etc. can be searched so they do have some measures in place to try and prevent someone bringing a gun in . I'm not saying it couldn't happen, although we've never had any problems with weapons related violence and I certainly pray that continues. Unfortunately, though, there are some schools around here where weapons-related violence IS a problem and they do have armed guards and metal detectors. It's sad kids have to learn in that environment, but I'd rather those measures than not having them and kids are free to bring guns to school without being caught.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe there are certain places where the public's right to expect a certain level of safety out-rules a private person's right to carry a gun.
That makes sense. Thank you for your answer.

I guess that's the crux of the issue -- does removing that right make people safer or not?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that, for the most part, no. In Belle's example, someone who entered a hospital with a gun with the intent to shoot someone really isn't going to care about whether or not he or she is violating the law.

I really have a hard time fathoming how high schools can need armed security guards and metal detectors and whatnot. Then again, I don't recall ever seeing any sort of violence at my high school. Ever.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I am completely against teachers carrying rifles and pistols to school. But, I am totally for teachers being allowed to arm themselves with blowguns, boomerangs, and maybe, just maybe, the little hand-sized crossbows if they were fitted with non-lethal projectiles.

Nothing to settle a classroom down like a boomerang to the side of the head now is there?

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
A meter stick to the desk works just as well, I've found.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
While carrying a firearm could possibly give a person more opportunity to defend themselves and possibly others, it would not make sense to assume an added level of safety just because you have a gun. Many more factors would have to be in place.
I guess, in short(IMHO): bearing arms ≠ safety

I am generally for the right to bear arms, but this just seemed kinda obvious/common sense.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.