FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Consumer Alerts (Candy Corn Kisses) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Consumer Alerts (Candy Corn Kisses)
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I really value about Hatrack is the opportunity to draw on the experience of dozens of intelligent people of diverse background and experience. And I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we warn each other about "learning experiences" we, as consumers, have faced.

There is a pretty good chance this will just turn into a whine thread, but we'll see how it goes.

#1. The Lego (tm) fruit snacks from Kellog's don't actually interlock in any way. I was very disappointed.

[ October 27, 2008, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Spiderman utility belt sold from the back of Marvel comics in the late 1970s does not contain an actual working walkie talkie or wrist watch. Its grappling hook and rope are made of plastic, and are not strong enough to support the typical 7 year old boy. The "net" of webbing is both tiny--not nearly large enough to throw over someone you wish to capture--and relatively stiff.

The lesson that I as a young consumer learned from this is that advertising copy can be deceptive. And that allowing 6-8 weeks for delivery is an agonizing thing to do.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Walmart's prices on specific items are often not the lowest in the area, though they are usually competitive. They create this perception in various ways. One of the most effective ways is using the endcaps (displays at the end of aisles) and floor stacks which are priced dirt cheap. This sucks you into the aisles where prices are higher.

So, buy from the displays, and shop around. Especially for big ticket stuff.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the name brand product than the WalMart brand. Last weak, Philly cream cheese was 20-30 cents cheaper than Fresh Value. Also, it's sometimes cheaper, per ounce, to buy the smaller package of a product than the larger one. I noticed this on frozen vegetables.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
HEB (grocery store here in the South) store brand pop tarts are always broken. Always. Can't put them in the toaster or give them to my kid without making a HUGE mess. Blah!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Target brand prenatal vitamins are much more gag-inducing than other store-brand prenatal vitamins, for some reason I cannot fathom. I have switched to the Kaiser pharmacy brand instead and my stomach is much happier.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Clorox bleach is the only bleach that will whiten clothing as opposed to generic that produces a nasty yellow color.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You're just not buying the right generics. I've had great success with some brands.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The sauce in Hamburger Helper Microwave Singles (at least the stroganoff variety) takes far more than 3 minutes to thicken, even when prepared with slightly less water than the directions say to use. By the time the sauce is appropriately thick, the pasta is cold.

(However, it's still tasty. And since I got it at $0.45 a box, I'm not complaining too much.)

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bought a package of Wal-Mart crescent rolls (in a tube) and discoved a large dead bug squashed in there...
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
And you didn't sue for all your worth? Think of all the pain and suffering and...and emotional trauma!! Yeah, that's it!

(Seriously, though, that's pretty nasty.)

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
And you didn't sue for all you're worth? Think of all the pain and suffering and...and TRAUMA!!
Yeah! That's it! You've been traumatized. That'll be a few million bucks, easy.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I mailed a valuable piece of electronics using an APC (insured, delivery confirmation with return receipt) and placed it in the drop, then opened the drop again to make sure it was gone.

The only message I have gotten through their tracking system is that the APC has notified the postal service to expect the package.

I filed a claim on it this morning, and the postal worker who specialized in claims said that they have know way of knowing I actually put the box into the drop.

Well, I suppose in one sense this is true, but the whole APC concept is based on trust. It allows them to save massive amounts of money.

If you send anything through an APC, and with the lines this time of year, it's probably a good idea, do not send anything of great inherent value.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
Veg-o-matics don't work.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I did obtain remuneration for the XBox the Postal Service lost, eventually. Like, 3 months after filing my claim.

But on to today's topic: There was a sale on Egg Nog ice cream, and I tried to make a Root Beer Float out of it. It was really gross. Fortunately I only made one scoop. The resulting flavor was reminiscent of when you get root beer out of a founatain machine that is low on syrup.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The pancake recipe in Betty Crocker's cookbook is actually better with one cup of milk instead of the three fourths it calls for.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to get Sudafed decongestant that actually decongests, go show your ID to the pharmacist and get the old-school stuff behind the counter. The new-school stuff on the shelves (Sudafed PE) is pseudo-Sudafed. It doesn't actually decongest you.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wal-Mart stores in my area sell 12ct and 18ct eggs. The 18ct eggs have been just under twice the cost of the 12ct eggs for several months now. Getting 50% more eggs at 80% more cost is not a savings! Are there people out there who actually think 18 is twice as many as 12?

Same with tomato sauce. Small 8oz cans are priced x. Larger 16oz cans are priced at y. 2X<Y. Its cheaper to buy a cart load of small cans than a couple of big ones.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Benadryl is also good, but it apparently makes people sleepy and it has something called "rebound congestion" which sudafed does not.

Possible TMI to follow:

However, I had a very unpleasant experience recently when I followed a night on benadryl with a day on sudafed (the real stuff) and for some reason, my body's solution to the dilemna was to route all moisture out through my eyes.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
[

But on to today's topic: There was a sale on Egg Nog ice cream, and I tried to make a Root Beer Float out of it. It was really gross. Fortunately I only made one scoop. The resulting flavor was reminiscent of when you get root beer out of a founatain machine that is low on syrup.

My ex-husband used to make floats with pineapple sherbet and diet coke. ugh. (Actually, he probably still does, but I'm not around to witness it anymore, praise be)

But 7-Up/Sprite/Sierra Mist with strawberry ice cream is quite good.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Benadryl is also good, but it apparently makes people sleepy and it has something called "rebound congestion" which sudafed does not.

Benadryl is an antihistamine, not a decongestant. Completely different effect.

And all antihistamines can cause rebound; it's caused by the body compensating, not by the medication itself.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not be in the first wave to buy any new electronic device. Wait about a year. It will get cheaper and more reliable.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Those little plastic safes you buy when you're 8 years old to put money in are not big brother proof.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Those candy corn Hershey's kisses are awful, and I love candy corn and white chocolate. Blech blech blech.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I thought you were warning us that they were poisoned...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought, too. I thought we were being warned of a recall.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those candy corn Hershey's kisses are awful, and I love candy corn and white chocolate. Blech blech blech.

The peanut butter kisses? Mine! Mine! I'll trade you for my white chocolate and regular candy corn.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Naw, this is just more of a "don't waste your money" thread.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pancake recipe in Betty Crocker's cookbook is actually better with one cup of milk instead of the three fourths it calls for.
Flour has different absorbencies. Always experiment with recipes if you think it looks wrong or tastes wrong (too dry, too wet). It's probably not your cooking.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-Mart is evil. But, then, I suspect most of you know that.

The Shasta Root Beer they sell at Dollar Tree stores in 3 liter bottles is actually superior (at least IMHO) to the generic root beer they sell in most grocery stores in 2 liter bottles.

The battery-free mini-speakers they sell, however, are useless.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Pepto-Bismol chewable tablets turn your tongue and teeth slightly brown. It's not bad, just slightly surprising when you first notice it.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair dryer doesn't work in the shower. It's also not particularly safe. They should put some sort of war-...

Oh.

Never mind.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Those little plastic safes you buy when you're 8 years old to put money in are not big brother proof.

Amen.

"Why did you violate my privacy!?"

"Well if you didn't want me taking stuff you shouldn't have tried so hard to stop me."

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
Pepto-Bismol chewable tablets turn your tongue and teeth slightly brown. It's not bad, just slightly surprising when you first notice it.

It depends on how your body reacts to one of the ingredients. (I don't remember which ingredient it is that causes it.) My tongue turns almost black.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

It's called bismuth subsalicylate. When it combines with the trace amounts of sulfur in your saliva, it forms that black substance, called bismuth sulfide. I'm guessing that the darker your tongue turns, the higher the sulfur content in your saliva.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
quote:

It depends on how your body reacts to one of the ingredients. (I don't remember which ingredient it is that causes it.) My tongue turns almost black.
Mine turns green. Dark green. And turns my vomit and, um, other problems I'm taking it for the same color, without doing anything to slow them down.

I don't take it any more.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
It's called bismuth subsalicylate. When it combines with the trace amounts of sulfur in your saliva, it forms that black substance, called bismuth sulfide. I'm guessing that the darker your tongue turns, the higher the sulfur content in your saliva.

Very interesting! I've always wondered what was going on there, chemically.

What's the significance of having more or less sulfur in your saliva? Is there any?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Kroger dairy products are the best.

And Walmart is not evil. Walmart rocks!

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by lobo:

Why's that?

[Edit--or rather, in what way are they better than any other dairy product?]

[ October 28, 2008, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I find them more tasty. Especially their yogurt and extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Walmart isn't evil, but it most definitely does not rock.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by lobo:

And Walmart is not evil. Walmart rocks!

I disagree on both.

Walmart is exceedingly evil in many ways. It rocks very infrequently.

And Altadena Dairy eggnog, Knudsen sour cream, and Philidelphia cream cheese are the very epitome of each of those dairy items; Kroger products cannot compare. (Daisy is acceptable sour cream.) Kroger yogurt is quite decent if you don't have access to better and their milk and butter are fine, but other than that...

pooka
Member # 5003

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say more sulfur in your saliva equates to more odor on your breath.

I probably have a lot of sulfur in my saliva. I wonder what I could do to reduce that.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Quit eating matches?

Alert: Target sells little 3-4 inch key lime pies in the bakery area. While YMMV, the one we tried was not food.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I just almost crapped my pants because I thought I gave myself a dose of botulism or something. I ate about 8 of those kisses last night... I thought they were awesome.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-Mart gas is frequently a lot cheaper than neighboring gas stations, but only when demand is low. During very high-demand situations, Wal-Mart gas is substantially more expensive than nearby competitors. I first noticed this during Hurricane Ike, when gas prices shot up. Everyone was in line to fill up on gas at Wal-Mart that was nearly $4.00 per gallon, when there was $3.75 gas right next door, at Valero. No one was in line there at all. I assume that Wal-Mart was intentionally trying to take advantage of consumers who expect "low, low prices".

So, yeah. Wal-Mart IS evil. Caveat emptor!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
What's the significance of having more or less sulfur in your saliva? Is there any?

Sulfur can come from a number of different sources. It can be released from sulfur containing foods, like garlic or cabbage, during digestion, after which it is absorbed into the blood stream and carried to the lungs.
More common, perhaps, is that the bacteria living in your mouth produce volatile sulfur compounds.

The more sulfur compounds present, the worse the breath, the darker the hue your tongue will acquire.

Excess sulfur, and therefore bad breath, can be reduced simply by brushing your tongue, which is where about half of the bacteria in your mouth like to hang out. (I find scraping to be less gag-inducing than shoving a toothbrush back there.)
Saliva helps in washing away bacteria and dissolving those sulfur compounds. A dry mouth provides a great environment for bacteria, so bad breath usually happens if you're dieting, fasting, or talk for long periods of time, as well as consuming alcohol or breathing through your nose while exercising. Eating or drinking increases the flow of saliva. The way that breath mints work is actually not by masking odor or killing bacteria directly, but by stimulating the salivary glands.

/way more than you probably wanted to know

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Wal-Mart gas is frequently a lot cheaper than neighboring gas stations, but only when demand is low. During very high-demand situations, Wal-Mart gas is substantially more expensive than nearby competitors. I first noticed this during Hurricane Ike, when gas prices shot up. Everyone was in line to fill up on gas at Wal-Mart that was nearly $4.00 per gallon, when there was $3.75 gas right next door, at Valero. No one was in line there at all. I assume that Wal-Mart was intentionally trying to take advantage of consumers who expect "low, low prices".

So, yeah. Wal-Mart IS evil. Caveat emptor!

Was that the price with or without a Sam's Club card?
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Sulfur can come from a number of different sources. It can be released from sulfur containing foods, like garlic or cabbage, during digestion, after which it is absorbed into the blood stream and carried to the lungs.
More common, perhaps, is that the bacteria living in your mouth produce volatile sulfur compounds.

The more sulfur compounds present, the worse the breath, the darker the hue your tongue will acquire.

Excess sulfur, and therefore bad breath, can be reduced simply by brushing your tongue, which is where about half of the bacteria in your mouth like to hang out. (I find scraping to be less gag-inducing than shoving a toothbrush back there.)
Saliva helps in washing away bacteria and dissolving those sulfur compounds. A dry mouth provides a great environment for bacteria, so bad breath usually happens if you're dieting, fasting, or talk for long periods of time, as well as consuming alcohol or breathing through your nose while exercising. Eating or drinking increases the flow of saliva. The way that breath mints work is actually not by masking odor or killing bacteria directly, but by stimulating the salivary glands.

/way more than you probably wanted to know

Actually, I think that's kind of cool to know. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Not a problem. :}
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.