FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2007 Hatrack Gift Exchange (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2007 Hatrack Gift Exchange
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack gift exchange

Everyone who signs up will be giving and receiving a gift. It’s lots of fun, last year we had 80 entries, let's make the 2007 goal 100 gifts given and recieved. I’m trying to get it going earlier this year so you have two weeks to sign up and extra time to pick out and purchase gifts. I’m stating two extra rules this year you need to have 100 posts or an established member to vouch for you, and if you fail to send a present, the person who vouched for you is responsible for sending one on your behalf (unless you or an immediate family member has participated in the past) and those who did not send gifts last year but did sign up will not be included.

Gifts: Please spend close to $10, absolutely no more than $20. Home made gifts and gifts that are local to your area are the most fun. There will be a thread where you can say what you want, or at least your favorite colors and things you can’t have. Last year I got a model horse from Libbie, the year before I got gorgeous yarn from Coccinelle. Hatrack Festivus will gladly act as a go between for people who aren’t sure what to get.

November 14th: Deadline to sign up
To sign up please email hatrackfestivus@gmail.com with your mailing address, intent to participate, and special requests (only from your country, no college students, allergies). If you are a college student, include both addresses just in case, or just the home one if that’s what you want. If you have some special situation like you are leaving for a mission, or traveling most of the holiday, you can still participate, just let us all know.

November 17th: Everyone will receive an email with their match. Please reply to that email as soon as possible after you get it.

December 1st: Mail gifts to college students (yes that will be listed in your info)
College students, if that date is too late please let me know.

December 10th: All presents must be mailed. When you have mailed your present please email hatrackfestivus@gmail.com again.

When you receive your gift, please email once more letting us know that, then post in the “what I got thread” and reveal who it was. If you haven’t received a gift by December 24th email again and the hatrack angels will be notified.

Any questions just ask or email. If you have ideas, also email. The only way this can grow and develop is having ideas and problems with past years addressed and fixed.

Entries closed, info will be sent by the date required.

[ November 15, 2007, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's fair to require 100 posts (although we have participated in a past so it's not a problem for our kids, we've had lurkers and newer members that have not had that many and have participated well in past years. I'm not sure I had many more than that when I first participated, the gift exchange was one of the first things I did on Hatrack.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe modify the 100 posts rule to be "you need to have 100 posts or an established member to vouch for you, and if you fail to send a present, the person who vouched for you is responsible for sending one on your behalf."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a good modification.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We had three lurkers and new members not send gifts last year, they just fell off the board. If someone is willing to do what Eros suggested please email.

KQ I'm fairly certain you had over a thousand posts in three months at hatrack.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I dunno, I FELT new...
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Maybe but you posted a lot over that time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think we need a sticky on this thread.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you, O Sticky Gods of Hatrack. [Smile]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I love this time of year!

I just sent in my email. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and Mrs. BB just signed up. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent an email saying that I would be an emergency stand-in if somebody doesn't send a gift. I hope that I'm not needed.

Hope everyone has a great time buying/making/picking out/sending gifts!

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Katdog, didn't get your email (unless you sent it to my private account, I'll check).
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope i get a present this time [Embarrassed] (
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I hope you do too.

An no, didn't get an email from KatDog in either account.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Thank you, O Sticky Gods of Hatrack. [Smile]

Woohoo! A promotion!
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok, Katdog's email finally showed up in the spam folder. No clue why.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
email sent.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd totally do this if I actually gave a flying fart about any of you hosers.

Bah-freakin'-Humbug.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

So Primal Curve, your email will pe here at 2am?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
So Primal Curve, your email will pe here at 2am?

Mmm... pee email.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! The Gift Exchange is back!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Ooh! I've been so broke the past couple of years I haven't participated . . . this year I may just, how fun!

Breyerchic, thanks for coordinating this. I'm always so impressed by people who step up and take on things like this of their own free will! ;-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! Email sent.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have sent it from my secondary account. For some reason that account gets counted as spam a lot.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
not enough posts [Frown] Maybe next year.

As a side note, I have found that it can be a good idea to require that all gift givers get a tracking number on pakages sent out. Maybe that is obvious, I dunno [Smile]

[ October 31, 2007, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Pegasus ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Pegasus:
not enough posts [Frown] Maybe next year.

Actually, I think breyer has said she's willing to change the rules to what I suggested - that people with less than 100 posts can participate if an established member will vouch for them. I also told her I'd be willing to vouch for a few, so if you wanna participate, just e-mail as directed in the first post. [Smile]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Email sent.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yes Pegasus, please email since Eros is willing to vouch.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Eros, I believe I will take you up on the offer, as I don't personally know anyone on this board.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd be willing to vouch for a new person or two as well, if any others are wishing they could participate.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. It was great fun last year - although I didn0t have 100 post then. In fact the gift exchange was the thing that switched froma lurker to a poster.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think whoever vouches for a new member takes it as their responsibility to send a gift for them, should the new member end up not doing it for whatever reason.

Just trying to avoid the unfortunate eventuality where people send gifts but do not receive one. It really kills the whole experience.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, I'm in!
I'm so glad to be hanging round here again.
^_^

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I think whoever vouches for a new member takes it as their responsibility to send a gift for them, should the new member end up not doing it for whatever reason.

Just trying to avoid the unfortunate eventuality where people send gifts but do not receive one. It really kills the whole experience.

That's my understanding. I understand why the restriction is in place and support it, but I also feel like the exchange is a great way to help new people people come to feel more integrated in the community (as anti-maven said). I'm more than willing to foster that by volunteering to be a second, so to speak, for a few new members who want to participate.

[ November 01, 2007, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

erosomniac
Member # 6834

My thinking exactly, Noemon.
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent an e-mail as well. I don't think I have 100 posts yet, but I got Eros to vouch for me. I'm excited! Last year was a lot of fun.

Edit: I just noticed it said 149 posts! I'm surprised.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You're covered with 149 posts, but I have to say that I'm surprised that you have so few; I'd have guessed that you had 8 or 9 times that number.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Squish, you would also be covered under the "you or an immediate family member has participated in the past" exemption, even if you didn't have over 100 posts.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Err, she's my girlfriend, not my wife. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Huh?

I was assuming from "last year was a lot of fun" that indicated prior participation.

My bad.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

Wait, I misread. You're right, and I'm an idiot. Whee! [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh. I'm right? I just assume I'm wrong these days. Pregnant brain and all.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia, maybe you could count the Boy Scout Field Book as a belaited gift? I knew I had a "higher motive", I just didn't know what it was.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok ^^ Boy Scout Manuals are useful just in case civilization should end or I end up lost in the woods.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I have to few posts to participate. Thats what I get for being a reader and not a poster on this forum.

Sounded like fun too, now that I am into college and have my own money and independence in which I can do so.

[ November 03, 2007, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: miamiandy ]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amused and definitely not his wife... ^_^ Or at least marriage is one of those things I'd like to be in the loop about.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by miamiandy:
Guess I have to few posts to participate. Thats what I get for being a reader and not a poster on this forum.

Except that several of us have volunteered to vouch for members who'd like to participate but don't have the requisite number of posts.
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone willing to vouch for me?
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Squish:
I'm amused and definitely not his wife... ^_^ Or at least marriage is one of those things I'd like to be in the loop about.

I didn't think you were married to him... In fact, I forgot you knew him at all...

Brain not work so good.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.