FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Grief, More Cat Help Needed, (Now with Picture!)

Author Topic: Good Grief, More Cat Help Needed, (Now with Picture!)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking care of a kitten that I got for free as I did not want her to be put down at an animal shelter. For about 1 week her left eye has been dripping fluid that solidifies into the eye boogers you see every morning when you wake up.

I am not sure what is causing this or why it is just the one eye that is tearing constantly. When she sleeps it seems to stop dripping but while her eyes are open she always squints the one eye and it drips fluid.

Leaky valve? Something in her eye? I can't see anything when I look it over.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

[ November 03, 2007, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be infection. I have Blepharitis, and it seems like the symptoms are the same. No idea about treatments for cats--for me, it's face scrubs and artificial tears, and when it gets bad, antibiotics and steroids drops.
Good luck.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an infection to me. You'll probably need drops. Take her to the vet.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes if it's at all possible take her to the vet. Our cat had that the week we got him, possibly a reaction to the dog. We were given cream instead of drops though.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Cream works well cause it seems to last longer. They hate anything in their eyes, though, so all eye medicines are hard to administer.

Kittens are so adorable! I'm so glad you rescued the kitten. Do take him/her to the vet, though, because kittens can get some diseases (panleukopenia) that are deadly if not treated.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The kitten's eye seems to have stopped leaking fluid so crisis averted! I'm glad we didn't have to pay a vet this time around.

My brother named the new kitten Maya, so she is essentially Mao Mao's best friend.

I'm very surprised by the effect Maya has had on Mao Mao's personality. Where once Mao Mao was once very vibrant, energetic, meowed in a specific manner, and hostile towards anyone but me and Tiffany. Now she is much more nurturing, more relaxed, slightly less energetic, coos alot more then meows, and is more tolerant of strangers.

Initially when we got Maya, Mao Mao hissed at her and stayed 20 yards away at all times, within 48 hours she got closer and closer and started diciplining the kitten into submission. Within another 5 hours she was cleaning and nurturing the kitten. Now the are inseperable, I am very happy with the arrangement.

The only down side is Maya tries to nurse off Mao Mao and Mao Mao has never had a kitten, and hence cannot lactate. Mao Mao does not discourage her from doing it and so Maya just keeps trying until Mao Mao starts bleeding.

I've been trying to get them to stop but now they just try to hide around the house and get away with it, the moment they see that I have noticed them nursing they scatter.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That's so cute that they love each other now.

After my cat Mouse had mostly weaned her kittens, and would swat them away if they tried to nurse, (they were bigger than she was by then) they would wait until she got very deeply asleep then gang up on her and nurse her. That went on until they were over a year old. Poor Mousie! Kittens are unscrupulous things.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww ...
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I echo everyone else, take the cat to the vet. It could be some sort of upper respiratory infection. Especially if she's brand new, or adopted, it can spread between most cats kept in together in small quarters.

And cats do react strangely to new animals. When I got my new kitten and introduced him to my girlfriend's cats, one generally friendly-yet-prissy cat became a monster and hit you in the face if you got near her. The other cat, the generally grumpy-but-loyal reacted as yours did-- more nurturing and loving.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

They can surprise you so much. When I brought a new kitten home to my house once, I thought Mouse, who was the playful one with whom nobody much wanted to play, would love the new kitten. But she didn't at all. She felt threatened in her role as the small cute playful one, and didn't like Drive By at all. Brando, though, who was big and slow and very secure in his social position in our home, I guess, just loved Drive By, and those two were best buddies.

You can never tell how a cat will act. They just all have their own personalities. [Smile]

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
They sound adorable. Got any pictures?
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem random, but they have a product called Bitter Apple at most pet stores. It's supposed to keep animals from chewing at things they aren't supposed to chew on. Maybe if you were to spray some on Mao Mao then Maya may back off.

However...... it make keep Mao Mao from bathing herself.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Squish:

Sure do!

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0339ri0.jpg

I'm not a very sappy guy but that picture makes me melt. [Big Grin]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww awww awww ...
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That is the cutest picture! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Or frightening. It kind of gives me that "one step closer with the camera and I shoot" kinda feeling.

[Wink]

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

LOL, Emp^2, I had to look again to see what you meant.

"Nobody move or I lick the kitten!"

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great picture. The kitten is TINY! She does look a bit lost in the cat's arms there.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Squish:

Sure do!

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0339ri0.jpg

I'm not a very sappy guy but that picture makes me melt. [Big Grin]

HOLY CUTENESS, BATMAN!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.