FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You have got to read this article

Author Topic: You have got to read this article
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about reading faces, and lies, and...it's fascinating. Here it is

Anybody got any thoughts, or experiences?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good article. I've seen other stuff on Dr. Ekman, but this article covers the subject well.

Using microexpressions to tell what people are really thinking (especially if they are lying) is slowly percolating through society. My brother mentioned microexpressions yesterday on a phone call--he was talking about how he tried to use them as a supervisor.

I'm not very good at it. I just took a quiz on microexpressions and got around 50-60%, and that was after repeating the expressions multiple times before guessing. http://www.cio.com/article/facial-expressions-test

The quiz is based on "The Micro Expression Training Tool" developed by Dr. Ekman. That goes for $50 at Ekman's website. [Frown] Maybe I can coax my brother into buying it and I'll borrow it.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually was pretty good at that test. I noticed that I focused mostly on the mouth, then the nose, then the eyes. Funny since the eyes are supposed to be "windows to the soul."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

The mouth and eyes, sure. But the nose? I usually only notice the nose when it does that *crinkle in disgust* thing. Maybe that's why I test poorly--"the nose is the transom to the soul."
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I got 7 of 10 on the first try. One of them I had to literally click on every emotion in turn to get right.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
That is crazy. I don't do well with facial expressions and emotions so I don't have anything really to add. But I liked the bit at the end about why most people probably don't bother to learn the skill. We don't want to know what people are really thinking.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, steven. I'd read about this before in the context of customs agents, but this was a much more in depth piece than I had seen then.

Some online quizzes:
Facial Expressions Test (based on Paul Ekman's work on microexpressions) [edited to add: same as Morbo's link above]
The Ability to Read Emotions(Eyes) Test from OkCupid
Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (Revised, Adult) -- another eyes test; has some of the same pictures

---

10 of 10 for me -- I usually do well on these

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I got around 5 on the first try and the other 5 on the second. I didn't consciously try to focus on any one part of the face, but when the pictures flashed I focused most on the mouth.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, see, I'm horrible at the eye tests (I've done them before.) But the flashes I got really well, focusing on the mouth.

I think that says less about the science and more about me...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I am also uncomfortable making continuous eye contact, always have been. I get freaked out if someone continually focuses on my eyes, and when talking to people look away from their eyes frequently or focus on other parts of their faces.)
steven
Member # 8099

I just spent almost $100 on amazon on books about this. I bought 1 Ekman, 1 by Vrij, and one about the Reid technique. I have a friend who's a cop who recommends the Reid technique. This is going to be fun. For all my brains, I'm totally awful at detecting liars. Let's see if that will change.
Threads
Member # 10863

Good links Claudia. I only got 60% on the OkCupid test but somehow managed to pull off 33/36 on the questionwriter.com one!
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I did 60% on OkCupid and 34/36 on the other. [Dont Know]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

steven, if I were you I'd get Ekman's program on CD that I mentioned. It will probably help more than books because it's interactive.
steven
Member # 8099

The CD didn't get a good review on Amazon. Otherwise, I'd have snapped it up.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Ah, I see.
This is fascinating. For most of my life I've had a vague idea that people can "smile with their eyes", and when they don't it's a sure way to spot a phony. I didn't know there was research into it from the 19th century.
quote:
Perhaps the most famous involuntary expression is what Ekman has dubbed the Duchenne smile, in honor of the nineteenth-century French neurologist Guillaume Duchenne, who first attempted to document the workings of the muscles of the face with the camera. If I ask you to smile, you' ll flex your zygomatic major. By contrast, if you smile spontaneously, in the presence of genuine emotion, you' ll not only flex your zygomatic but also tighten the orbicularis oculi, pars orbitalis, which is the muscle that encircles the eye. It is almost impossible to tighten the orbicularis oculi, pars lateralis, on demand, and it is equally difficult to stop it from tightening when we smile at something genuinely pleasurable. This kind of smile "does not obey the will," Duchenne wrote. "Its absence unmasks the false friend."

steven
Member # 8099

60% on OKCupid. It said I scored 99% on "observation". WTF is that? Does anybody else have a result on that?

29/36 on questionwriter. Interesting.

Threads, are you male or female?

I'm wondering if all these have a strong gender component like the OKCupid one does.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
60% on OKCupid. It said I scored 99% on "observation". WTF is that? Does anybody else have a result on that?

Yes, I did 99% on observation (whatever that means), and I think it said something about relative to age and gender with that. (?)
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize that that test wouldn't keep track of my score, so I'm not sure if I got 6 or 7 right on the first try. I think at least half of those I only watched once.

The second time through, I got all but the sad one right with only watching once. I got that one wrong the first time, too. I think it's the nose that confused me; both times I said disgust.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

quote:
Originally posted by steven:

29/36 on questionwriter. Interesting.

Threads, are you male or female?

I'm wondering if all these have a strong gender component like the OKCupid one does.

I'm male.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
60% and 29/36. And now I have a headache.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
There's always jerks who claim they can "read bumps on heads" to determine character,
micro-expressions is just the latest in a long long long line of such frauds

[ November 04, 2007, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

See, I'm still going to investigate the issue, because I know you don't know shit about it, and you're just guessing and posturing based on your guess.
Morbo
Member # 5309

"No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up."--Lily Tomlin

Thanks for keeping us plugged in, aspectre!

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
On this subject, I recommend the book Conquering Deception, by Jef Nance.

[Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks to somebody's response to a prior question at Google Answers, there is a whole compilation of related online tests:

quote:
Hello Erspertus,

I have found several sites with facial expressions quizzes:

http://www.cio.com/archive/120104/faces.html

http://www.medicine.manchester.ac.uk/psychiatry/newmood/faces.asp

http://www.wwnorton.com/psychsci/activity/ch10_activity.htm#introduction

http://www.prosopagnosia.com/interactive/facexpressions1/index.asp

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~wsun/sa/project/node15.html

http://www.rgbpost.com/he/mindreading/mainfeatures.asp

You need to register here (free) to take a facial recognition test:
http://www.emotionsworkshop.org/emotion_assessment/index.php

Here is an 8 face test.
http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/nvc/nvc3a.html

Other information on facial expressions
========================================
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,60232-2,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/compvisn.htm

http://www.journalofvision.org/5/1/6/article.aspx

http://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/expression/interpretations.html

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues04/jan04/readingfaces.html

This is an interesting facial test, based not on emotions, but country of origin.
http://alllooksame.com/

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This is fascinating. For most of my life I've had a vague idea that people can "smile with their eyes", and when they don't it's a sure way to spot a phony. I didn't know there was research into it from the 19th century.
quote:
Perhaps the most famous involuntary expression is what Ekman has dubbed the Duchenne smile, in honor of the nineteenth-century French neurologist Guillaume Duchenne, who first attempted to document the workings of the muscles of the face with the camera. If I ask you to smile, you' ll flex your zygomatic major. By contrast, if you smile spontaneously, in the presence of genuine emotion, you' ll not only flex your zygomatic but also tighten the orbicularis oculi, pars orbitalis, which is the muscle that encircles the eye. It is almost impossible to tighten the orbicularis oculi, pars lateralis, on demand, and it is equally difficult to stop it from tightening when we smile at something genuinely pleasurable. This kind of smile "does not obey the will," Duchenne wrote. "Its absence unmasks the false friend."

I can smile with my eyes on command. So people always think my fake smiles are genuine. I don't know that I could do it if I was really mad about something, but I certainly can do it when I'm bored or with someone I don't actually like. I think it's one of the reasons that strangers talk to me more than I'd like in public, because my "polite yes I acknowledge you now go away" smile looks a lot like a "Hi I'm a really nice person wanna be friends" smile.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Yeah, I think I've mastered this skill too.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
32/36

This is definitely something I could get into. Thanks for the links.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I can smile with my eyes on command. So people always think my fake smiles are genuine. I don't know that I could do it if I was really mad about something, but I certainly can do it when I'm bored or with someone I don't actually like. I think it's one of the reasons that strangers talk to me more than I'd like in public, because my "polite yes I acknowledge you now go away" smile looks a lot like a "Hi I'm a really nice person wanna be friends" smile.

Another here. I can deliberately suppress the eye part of the smile to give off an "I'm being polite, but now eff off" vibe, though. I do it rarely, but there is nothing like it to set off my sweetheart in a fight. (i.e., I have learned that I can do this (and have done it) in anger as game-playing, and I deliberately do not deliberately give a mouth-only smile at those times anymore -- it's indirect communication that I pretty much cannot be called on, because it's so hard to pinpoint and name. That's unfair.)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at fake-smiling with my eyes. My body seems to know what muscles to use, but it overcompensates and gives me this manic, semi-psychotic look instead.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*bites [tongue], eyes dancing merrily

[Edited to add: [/not that freaky]]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.