FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Time to move out. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Time to move out.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Parents called the police on me today, they say they don't want me to leave, but they're actions are leaving me with fewer options. They're answer to everything is threating me with a variety of threats, police, kicking out of the house, physical violence, and disconnecting the internet when it is 99% relient for me to success at my studies.

I'm definately going to have to leave on my own terms before I'm left hanging out to dry with my stuff on some sidewalk in the middle of nowhere (which they have threatened before) with no life or hope left to pursue.

I'm talking with one of my friends now this wensday Ill go to his house to talk with his parents, offer room and board and to do chores around the house and extra stuff that they may require, everyone says I'm a good kid but somehow I always draw the short straw.

[Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang... That sucks.
Good luck to you. It's good to be on yourown, but not easy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

That was a fast response.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to me that they just want you to get out and live your own life. I would be willing to bet that they are just worried about you. You can't live with your parents forever. Not being around, I can't really speak regarding the circumstances.

Finding a new place to live is obviously going to be a priority right now. However, I don't think you should necessarily view this as just a negative thing.

You're out of the house. You've got a little bit more freedom. Take some time to find yourself and explore the outside world a little. Don't use the internet for awhile and expierence some fresh air.

Go to an art museum.

I think you should view this more as a new opportunity rather than a new problem.

Edit:

Good luck too! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious question, Blayne, would be what did you do to warrant calling the police? Obviously you had to do something, or else they had to make something up.

If you are up to something that merits police intervention, perhaps it is time for your parents to put you out of the house, on their terms and not yours.

--ApostleRadio on my girlfriend's name, so please direct all nasty criticisms regarding my lack of sympathy for Blayne my direction, and not hers. I am simply too lazy to switch names while I am on her computer.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Blayne.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded. I hope things work out well for you soon.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, while I'm glad you've realized you need to move, you seem to be saying you're planning on moving from your parent's basement to your friend's parent's basement. I hope you are planning this as an extremely temporary, stopgap measure.

If your parent's don't like the noise you make playing video games at night, how do you think these people are going to feel? Even doing chores, you are going to have to act as a guest in their home, and as the saying goes fish and guests start to stink in three days. You need to get a job that you can support yourself on and find a roommate situation where you are paying a fair rent and supporting yourself. Your life is not going to get better until you do so.

Good luck.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What Eljay says. Good luck, Blayne. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your life is not going to get better until you do so.
I wouldn't go so far as this. "Better" is pretty subjective.

However, getting and holding a job to support oneself IS kind of a good thing to do.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
everyone says I'm a good kid

[Frown]

You're not a kid Blayne. Good luck on moving out, but you need to realize that you are in fact, an adult.

I hope you land on your feet. Believe it or not, I get excited when I see you have started a thread, hoping each time that when I click on it you will be announcing that you HAVE moved out on your own. Sadly, that post hasn't been made yet.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Third what ElJay says.

You don't need to borrow your friend's parents. Get your own place - you're not a kid.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
To add another perspective...do a 180--be more submissive to your parents, becoming a huge help rather than a burden. Show them that you can be an adult at home, and when the time comes to move out on your own, you have monetary help. This was the route I took, and I've got a car and a computer for my trouble.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You need to get a job that you can support yourself on and find a roommate situation where you are paying a fair rent and supporting yourself. Your life is not going to get better until you do so.
Judging from your posts on the topic, Blayne, the most important part of this very excellent advice is that every time you think, say, or hint at this being too hard or impossible to remember that the truth is, it's not impossible, and it can't be that hard or else billions of people wouldn't do it all the time.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I have three questions:

1. What did you do to cause your parents to call the police? I get the feeling we are only hearing part of the story.

2. Why is disconnecting the internet such a big threat? People were successful at studying long before the internet existed. If you really think you are that reliant on it, I'd suggest picking four days and trying to go without any internet at all for those four days - just to see how it would go.

3. If you suddenly inherited 50 million dollars, and could live on your own doing anything you want, what would you spend your time doing? Would it make you happy?

Having asked all that, my advice is pretty simple: If you don't like how things are, change something. Something significant. I don't think it has to be any particular given thing, but it has to be something. And if it doesn't work, change something else - eventually things will work out.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Disconnecting the internet is a big threat because Blayne is addicted to it. 'Studying' is nothing but a hollow excuse.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

and you made an asine statement based nothing but your perception.

Web programming: requires the schools linux server
Oracle: Requires the schools oracle server
telecom: requires the linux server
Unix Networking, requires the linux box at school.
User Interfacing: requires email for backuping projects and emailing my work back to myself.

I only play games about an hour or two a day. I spend most of the time spent at home working on homework.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ifi got 50 million dollars I would get an apartment within bus ride to school, put it all in a savings account, convert half ofit to gold and make strategic investments, once i graduated ild start up a buseness developing games and software.

they called the police because they felt I was acting crazy and suicidal.

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
<nevermind, you answered me while I was posting>
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I only play games about an hour or two a day. I spend most of the time spent at home working on homework.

Why not use the computer lab to do the programming you mentioned above? My first two years of undergraduate coursework in computer science, I did absolutely none of it at home. I probably spent 20+ hours a week there.

You may make some real-life friends in the computer lab, like I did.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

about 2/3 of the time spent in class is elcturing (this semester) i have very little time to do the work much less catchup on the work im currently lagging behind.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

they called the police because they felt I was acting crazy and suicidal.

What were you doing that they interpreted in that way?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
about 2/3 of the time spent in class is elcturing (this semester) i have very little time to do the work much less catchup on the work im currently lagging behind.

It might help if you cut that hour or two a day of gaming out of your schedule.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne

Who said anything about doing it during classes? Do it on campus, at the computer center, instead of at home.

Most of the computer programers I knew practically lived in the computer lab.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my classes are form 8:30 to 5:30 with about a 1 hour break for lunch.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
everyone says I'm a good kid but somehow I always draw the short straw.
My advice would be to ditch the self-pitying and the "woe is me, life is unfair and bad things only happen to me" attitude. It never actually solves anything and usually ends up only making existing problems last longer. Once you fall into the downward spiral of despair, it becomes too easy to blame everything else instead of actually motivating yourself to change something that you do have control over.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my classes are form 8:30 to 5:30 with about a 1 hour break for lunch.

Why does this preclude using the lab? Most campus labs I've been to are open until at least 10.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ill go to his house to talk with his parents, offer room and board and to do chores around the house and extra stuff that they may require
Have you offered any of these things to the people whose house you are currently living in, your parents?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why does this preclude using the lab? Most campus labs I've been to are open until at least 10.
And on weekends. If you don't spend at least 8 hours in the computer lab on a given weekend, you are the exception as a computer science student.

Edit: Though I don't know why I am even bothering to be in this discussion. Blayne will respond with some other excuse for why he can't do this. If there is one constant in Blayne's mind, it's that nothing is ever his fault.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I dont have a means of transportation to get from home to school, if I stay to 10 PM how do I freaking get home!?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to stay out of any discussion with the originator of this thread. As such, this is making for good popcorn fodder. I should probably read this thread with some old-timey soap opera music in the background.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dont have a means of transportation to get from home to school, if I stay to 10 PM how do I freaking get home!?

I biked to work and school for several months before I finally got a car.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i can't bike to school with my laptop and its a good 2.5 hours away by bike.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can bike with your laptop, but yes, 2.5 hours is a bit much.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Carpool. Save up money to buy a horrible car that nonetheless runs. Or barring that, ride your dang bike.

You are not in a position to flinch at these sorts of problems. And yes, you can bike to school with your laptop.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're doing your work at the school's computer labs, you don't need to take your laptop.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

no one lives near where I live, I do infact need my laptop for school work, and nor would I be allowed to bike to school because my mom doesn't want me wrecking her bike somehow by hitting a stop sign.
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
You've decided it's time to move out... so move, or don't. Either way, your problem is not insurmountable.

With regards to labs--both weekends, and an hour or two after class both seem like viable options. Some of your work presumably can be done offline, too--that can wait till you're at home.

Anyway, you're not in a dire situation (so long as you're not actually suicidal). Find a solution, and commit to it. No one wants to hear excuses.

And best of luck.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
no one lives near where I live, I do infact need my laptop for school work, and nor would I be allowed to bike to school because my mom doesn't want me wrecking her bike somehow by hitting a stop sign.
So buy your own bike. They're not prohibitively expensive, again especially if you have an eye to utility rather than aesthetics or newness.

So let's say then that literally no one lives near you, not just near you and goes to that college. Ask a neighbor. Offer to chip in for gas. Or barring that, look around for people who go to that school between your home and campus, and that might make the trip much shorter.

You've got serious, real-world problems. Your objections make it clear you'd rather complain about them and solicit sympathy than actually tackle them.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'll be doing 3 things.

Negotiating with my friend's parents.
Getting a programming job (there are 4 or so availiable part time.)
and getting a student loan and burseries.

That is it that is all, livng at my firnds would put me closer to school, closer to anglophone jobs.

Offering a similar offer to my parents wont work because they make it clear they don't want me living there, I'm insulted daily and my work and contributions disrespected and blamed for everything that goes wrong with no effort to ask my to fix anything. Enough is enough.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, every single one of your problems is directly under your control. But you'd rather whine about them and make excuses than to act like the grown up you keep claiming to be.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hasn't everyones advice been "move out and hopefully things will improve" for the last 3 of my family related threads? I am not whining about anything, I am stating what is fact.

1) I lack the means to get to school, spending 2-3 hours biking is implausible.

2) I require internet access always for my homework, you have no right to say otherwise it is not you who is doing my work.

My problems are 100% family related, they cannot be fixed at this time, there is no way to fix them, even when I do do things right I am still criticized, I am still verbally assaulted, I sat down once did absolutely nothing and my dad walks up to me saying what a effing fat ass I am and how he can't believe that someone my age is this fat etc.

Our career choises are insulted, our choices desrespected in every way, and our hobbies discarded as trivial, this is not something I can fix except by sacrificing my own personal gains as a person. I can't handle this, there's no way to fix this except by making distance.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm all for Blayne getting out of his house and taking out loans to pay for things. But I think he should consider emergency student housing, which is often available.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Actually, I'm all for Blayne getting out of his house and taking out loans to pay for things. But I think he should consider emergency student housing, which is often available.

I'm asuming you mean student loans, yes?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, talk to your school, there are ways (like what Tom said) to go about this without just flopping at someone else's place.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) I lack the means to get to school, spending 2-3 hours biking is implausible.

?
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are so overweight that your dad just randomly calls you fat (sounds like a jerk), then 2-3 hours of riding your bike everyday might be exactly what you need.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you are so overweight that your dad just randomly calls you fat (sounds like a jerk), then 2-3 hours of riding your bike everyday might be exactly what you need.

Too harsh.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
How many miles are you talking about?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.