FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Illegal Immigrant Labor (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Illegal Immigrant Labor
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
What gets me mad is a friend of my mother is refused disability AFTER she gets laid off from her job because she is very sick. She really is sick to the point that she can no longer work.

There are illegal immigrants in this county that have absolutely nothing wrong with them, yet they get food stamps, disability, etc. There is nothing at all wrong with them physically. How do I know this? I here their children bragging about it.

Now you see why I take the stance I take? An American citizen is not entitled help that people here illegally receive.

Of course, the illegals that live in the trailer park a mile from me constantly shooting each other and selling drugs might also have something to do with it.

Another example: I was at a job site one day when a roofer, an American, was hurt on the job. There were illegal immigrants working for the same company and at the same job. When OSHA got involved, the injured one told OSHA that the other workers were illegal, which in my mind is one's civic duty--they were breaking the law. The illegal immigrants were deported; the injured guy lost his job BECAUSE HE DID HIS CIVIC DUTY AS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.

There is a local plumbing company that employs a whole family from Mexico. They are all here legally, and all are great guys. Nothing wrong with them, and they do fine work. I have no problem with them.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Lain,

quote:
What gets me mad is a friend of my mother is refused disability AFTER she gets laid off from her job because she is very sick. She really is sick to the point that she can no longer work.

There are illegal immigrants in this county that have absolutely nothing wrong with them, yet they get food stamps, disability, etc. There is nothing at all wrong with them physically. How do I know this? I here their children bragging about it.

Let's just pretend for a moment-I know it's a stretch, but work with me-that the reasons behind serious flaws like you describe in our government's health care and welfare systems aren't primarily that some small portion of <5% of our nation's total population is screwing that system over. Let's just imagine for a moment that there are other problems, many of them that are much bigger, that just might lead to that sort of thing.

quote:
Now you see why I take the stance I take? An American citizen is not entitled help that people here illegally receive.

Of course, the illegals that live in the trailer park a mile from me constantly shooting each other and selling drugs might also have something to do with it.

Oh, OK. I see the problem now. The problem you have is that you're incredibly short-sighted. You rather foolishly think that if we solve the problem with illegal immigration, we'll have successfully leapt the biggest hurdle in overcoming our problems in medical care and welfare. Also that you won't have people in trailer parks shooting each other and selling drugs once we deal with those pesky <5% of the population that's doing that.

quote:
The illegal immigrants were deported; the injured guy lost his job BECAUSE HE DID HIS CIVIC DUTY AS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.
Why did this guy lose his job, exactly? I can easily imagine that he lost his job because that job wasn't there anymore-that the government came down on that company, and it no longer exists. But let's just imagine for a moment that those dirty, government-cheating, drug-selling, gun-shooting illegal immigrants screwed over your buddy and he lost his job...somehow they did this from a detention center, or from Mexico...now clearly, your buddy has no recourse for this, does he?

I mean, it's not like he can sue or something, get restitution or anything.

Let's also not forget to avoid noticing the fact that your arguments remain totally anecdotal, and that you're refusing to address your own ignorance (as evidenced by your whining about income tax, and your ridiculous remarks about "them" shooting each other in the trailer park). Here's a newsflash for you: plenty of poor white American-born people are living in trailer parks, selling drugs, and shooting guns at each other like it's going out of style.

Geepers! I wonder if that might suggest that their legal status as citizens might not have less to do with their behavior than, say, things like poverty and low quality of education? That couldn't be it.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy in question lost his job because he was fired, not because the company went out of business.

And you seem to have missed my whole point: I don't care if they come here legally, I've no problem with that at all. It's the ones that come here illegally that I have a problem with.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
lain- perhaps your friend should look into whistleblowing laws then (laws that protect you from getting in trouble for reporting the illegal acts of your company). However, there may be more to this story. There was an accident which caused the man to be injured. Perhaps he was fired for causing the accident or fired for being injured (wrong, but it wouldn't suprise me one bit).
Look into the work it takes for an unskilled man with no US family to legally immigrate sometime. It is essentially impossible. But it is nice to know that you are ok with the "good ones".

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The guy in question lost his job because he was fired, not because the company went out of business.

And you seem to have missed my whole point: I don't care if they come here legally, I've no problem with that at all. It's the ones that come here illegally that I have a problem with.

If your friend was fired for reporting illegal immigrants in his workplace, then I find it difficult to believe that he doesn't have a whole host of options as far as recourse is concerned. Your problem here isn't illegal immigration, it's that your buddy's boss is an schmuck.

As for your point, my posts illustrate that I understand your point very well. My point is that your complaints have thus far been totally shortsighted, or generally invalid. Complaining about illegal immigrants shooting guns and selling drugs leads one to believe that your problem isn't strictly rooted in a firm respect for law and order.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.