FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Procrastination!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Procrastination!!!
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
So, it seems every time I have a big paper due I end up on Hatrack a lot more than normal. Honestly though, it is just one of an array of procrasination devices I use when I should be completing something else.

I've been working on what we call our "substantial writing" requirement for graduation for the past couple of months and I'm only about 11 pages into a 30 page minimum. Sad, isn't it. But I have watched all of the episodes of about 10 tv shows, played Everquest for the first time in 4 years, played an array of games on addictinggames.com, and read countless posts on Hatrack.

So other than this, what do others use when they are procrastinating?

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Procrastination
Member # 4821

- posted      Profile for Procrastination           Edit/Delete Post 
You rang?
Posts: 75 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
eh, I was gonna make a big long response post, but I'll do it later.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
im the same way. the more and more backed up things get, the more i just want to put them off until later. i have parts of a Marketing Plan due today that i was supposed to finish over the weekend, a Market Analysis project to finish in the next couple of days, and a Sales Management case study i have to answer over the holidays.

Lately the top 3 things to do when procrastinating for me are:

1. Eat
2. check online forums
3. online poker

every semester gets so stressful towards the end all because of procrastination. but hey, at least i'm working efficiently.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

haha. i was about to make a new procrastination thread when i thought i would search for one first. i totally forgot about this one. the above case study i mentioned is due i 3 hours and im just about to start the damn thing. i really need to get some Mocus going (motivation + focus). i think ill leave you guys with these 2 quotes:

"Procrastination is the key to efficiency."
-my HS german teacher

"Later is the best time to do everything."
-Garfield

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

That's ok, I'm still procrastinating the paper that I started the thread about. I think I'm averaging about 1 page a day, which if I continue at that rate I will be about 2 weeks late on the project. I like your contraction (mocus).

Sergeant

Edit to add: upon further review it appears I was at 11 pages on the 19 and 7 days later I am at 15, so its more like .75 pages per day.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say something but... Nah, I'll post at length later.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
how original. [Razz]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something I'm planning on trying: whenever you open up a web browser, write a paragraph, then browse.

You'll be making slow progress, but it's progress nonetheless. I can't say that I've put this to use much, since I'm just as much of a procrastinator as you are.

The combined forces of FaceBook and Hatrack are too strong!

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
quote:
how original. [Razz]

Like I've even read this thread yet... Meh... whatever.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 777:
Here's something I'm planning on trying: whenever you open up a web browser, write a paragraph, then browse.

You'll be making slow progress, but it's progress nonetheless. I can't say that I've put this to use much, since I'm just as much of a procrastinator as you are.

I've actually done things along those lines, although last time it was more to do with really boring data entry. I'd enter a page, then answer IMs...then enter another page...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
quote:
how original. [Razz]

Hey! No one said this was the "Cynicism" thread.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

Hmm, I'll give that method a try. If I didn't need the internet to do research I'd turn off my WiFi alltogether and hope I got something done.

I'll report on the progress [Smile]

Sergeant

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
cynicism would've involved this [Roll Eyes] smiley.

[Hat]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, to answer the actual question:

Before I uninstalled Warcraft III, that was my main draw. Now I have the trial edition of WoW on my computer, and that's in another league altogether.

Of course, I also just joined FaceBook a couple weeks ago, and Hatrack threads can keep me entertained for quite a while (such as right now), and AddictingGames.com is always fun...

If I really start procrastinating, I'll end up getting onto Starcraft, turning on ALL the cheats on a 7v1 Melee custom game, and slowly kill the entire opposition with just two Zerglings.

Or I'll listen to music for six hours straight.

Or I'll watch YouTube for the entire night.

Or I'll start playing TA: Spring. Now that's a slow RTS for you.

Of course, there are all of my gaming sites to look up on--GameSpot, IGN, Spore, Blizzard, SCLegacy, Battle.Net. News lists and forums.

Naturally, if Warcraft III were installed, I'd be playing DotA for hours on end, taking breaks for eating and sleeping.

And then the guilt trips begin.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Chess and AIM.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 777:

This doesn't work for me. In fact, it's just another thing for me to procrastinate doing. Aside from that, though, once I finally do get started I don't like to stop until I'm done - at least as far as papers go.

But I just took my finals today, so I'm free through December. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread inspires me to get back to my conference proceedings. Oops.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

Sergeant, my case study was due yesterday at 2pm. im still working on it. i had misread the directions and had loads of notes and research to do it how all th rest have been... then read that most of what i looked up isnt even what the professor wants this time. this semester is really kicking my ass.

i cant wait for the semester to be over with. im so tired of leaving stuff to the last minute, stressing out like crazy, cramming and busting my ass to get everything done. christmas will be a welcomed vacation. can't wait to watch the Planet Earth box set that i'm buying for my dad. =)

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Write a paper about the psychology of procrastinators.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hokey smokes! This thread was started on November 19th? I've been meaning to click on it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my turn tonight, evidently. I've got two presentations tomorrow - scratch that, today, that I haven't got finished. Granted, one's only five minutes and can be about anything vaguely related to my paper (so I'll read an article before class quick and talk about that), but the other... at least half an hour on Alcibiades' speech at Sparta. Blerg. I've got a rather large amount of notes on it (for me, that is), but I'm YouTubing instead of doing something productive, like finishing it and sleeping.

Mr. T = win. Also, Turk dancing to Poison = double win, because it's longer. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

ok, about a day and some 7 or 8 hours of working on this case later, my professor finally emails me back this morning telling me that i can't turn it in late for partial credit. this was by far the most work i have ever put inot one of these cases and i cant even get credit for it. not to mention i was up all night working on it instead of studying for the final exam that is later today. one of the few times where i wish i had procrastinated either more or less.

blah. the last two weeks of every semester are always extremely stressful for me. im glad this is my last year in school. for now at least. im sure ill be back for grad school in a couple years.

dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article recently-- a serious one-- that was titled, "Five year procrastination study takes ten years."
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: snort :: That's a great title.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

Woot, 19 pages submitted to my Professor for comments. Only 11 pages to go and I've still got a whole week [Smile]

Of course my citations are a complete mess so I will be getting close to my Bluebook again [Frown]

22 days to graduation! (of course we don't have a winter commencement but I'm still going to be finished.)

Sergeant

krynn
Member # 524

good luck and congrats!
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
when I was writing my masters thesis, I played a lot of KoL and also that game where you are in a castle fighting of stick figures with archers, wizards and your trusty mouse pointer. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

So, I haven't done anything since I sent 19 pages to my professor and now it is 12:05 AM monday morning and I'm back at it. Hoping to get to 25 before I have to go to class at 9.

wish me luck [Smile]

Sergeant

krynn
Member # 524

Good Luck.

I have a group 30 page report/presentation due tomorrow and im still clueless as to how i am supposed to do my part. im trying to find the info i need on every business database i know of, but cant find anything.

if anyone knows how to find industry wide information based from NAICS codes, please reply back to me. please.

Sergeant
Member # 8749

Woot! I'm to page 21. Now, for a 45 minute nap and back to it.

Sergeant

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Schadenfreude...

This thread is making me feel a lot better about the comparatively small amount of work I need to do for this week. Granted I have five exams the week after that, but I'm trying not to think about it.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

ah, you get a dead week beforehand. my Uni starts finals this coming wednesday, and i even had an early final last week. lame.

EDIT: It's just going 4:10am and I'm done with my Market Analysis presentation. now just to get some sleep and go over it before I stand in front of the class later with my team. wahoo!

[ December 03, 2007, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: krynn ]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a 24 page paper today...lots of procrastination seeing as I finished it at 5:00 and it is due at 6:30.

At least I had the day off today.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

So far this week, instead of working on, well, anything, I've watched "Tin Man" (twice), bought movies, knitted, cleaned, played NWN almost to completion, and screwed around on the internet.

You may all bow in worship to a minor deity of procrastination.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
I just finished a 24 page paper today...lots of procrastination seeing as I finished it at 5:00 and it is due at 6:30.

At least I had the day off today.

you had a lot of time left you could have watched a couple of more youtube videos.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

haha, ive wanted to get NWN2, but im afraid to get sucked in. i also just found out 30 minutes ago that i have a final exam tomorrow at 2pm. why they hell did i not know about this? ucz im extremely unorganized, stressed, sick, and really starting to not care. all of those can really hurt one's grades. poop.
Sergeant
Member # 8749

Well, I'm down to 12 and 1/2 hours before my paper is due and still have 6 pages and 150+ footnotes to put into correct form.

But at least I know it will all be over in just a bit.

Sergeant

krynn
Member # 524

amen to that
Sergeant
Member # 8749

2 1/2 pages remaining. 4 1/2 hours to go [Smile]

Sergeant

Sergeant
Member # 8749

All done and turned in!!! [Party]

Now five finals in 10 days [Smile]

Then I'm all done. [The Wave]

Sergeant

krynn
Member # 524

congrats.
good luck on all your finals.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just took my first final earlier today, I have one tomorrow, and four next week.

I have a research project and a 6-page paper due next week as well.

I haven't started the paper, but I do have most of the research done.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

whats the paper on?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
A close reading of a poem, from a poet of my choice so long as that poet has a national reputation and is still alive and publishing now.

I'm doing a poem by former US Poet Laureate Louise Gluck called "A Myth of Innocence."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Pshaw. Six pages due next week? You've got it easy.

Try twenty pages, due sometime before I leave Saturday morning.

krynn
Member # 524

haha. i had a Market Analysis report due yesterday that was expected to be 30 pages. i think it all depends on the person and what level of school they are at, to consider any certain lengths to be difficult.

anyway. more procrastinating for me. i have a Corporate Finance final exam tomorrow morning at 7am. I took the rest of the day off starting around noon and am going to cram from 4-7. i hate myself for this, but it's hard to stop once your procrastination become terminal!

Carrie
Member # 394

Alright, I'm a quarter of the way done with my big paper. I've finished my big palaeography project and turned it in, and I've put off my other paper until I get back from Ireland.

Fifteen pages more, and I fly out at 2:45 pm. Totally doable. [Smile]

adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm done with classes for the semester (not to brag [Big Grin] ) but I've got finals coming up and I find myself playing more and more Team Fortress and OGame and spending time on Hatrack than I did ever this semester.

Yay procrastination!!!

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Not procrastination, really, but I just wrote 12,000+ words in three days (39 pages). After spending a week on half a semester's worth of work. *I* still can't believe I did that, and I was there!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.