FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Frozen Pizza? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best Frozen Pizza?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The recall includes both "pepperoni" and "classic pepperoni." At least 21 symptomatic people had tested positive for the E. coli O157:H7 bacteria after eating pepperoni from this supplier. They all recovered, though, from what I understand.

I think the term is generally "suspected" regarding *causality* for legal purposes, but the E. coli problem itself is confirmed.

---

Enjoy Mrs. BB. [Big Grin]

---

Edited to add: recall details as follows
quote:
The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels]
10.2-ounce packages of "Totino's The Original Crisp Crust Party Pizza Pepperoni."
10.2-ounce packages of "Totino's The Original Crisp Crust Party Pizza, Classic Pepperoni."
10.2-ounce packages of "Totino's The Original Crisp Crust Party Pizza, Pepperoni Trio."
10.7-ounce packages of "Totino's The Original Crisp Crust Party Pizza, Combination Sausage & Pepperoni Pizza."
10.5-ounce packages of "Totino's The Original Crisp Crust Party Pizza, Three Meat Sausage, Canadian Style Bacon & Pepperoni Pizza."
10.9-ounce packages of "Totino's The Original Crisp Crust Party Pizza, Supreme Sausage & Pepperoni Pizza with Green Peppers & Onions."
6.8-ounce packages of "JENO'S CRISP `N TASTY PIZZA, PEPPERONI."
7.0-ounce packages of "JENO'S CRISP `N TASTY PIZZA, COMBINATION SAUSAGE AND PEPPERONI PIZZA."
7.2-ounce packages of "JENO'S CRISP `N TASTY PIZZA, SUPREME SAUSAGE AND PEPPERONI WITH GREEN PEPPERS AND ONION PIZZA."

Each package also bears the establishment number "EST. 7750" inside the USDA mark of inspection as well as a "best if used by" date on or before "02 APR 08 WS." The company applies the "best if used by date" on the package based on a 155-day shelf life, however consumers are urged to look in their freezers for similar frozen pizza products and discard them if found.

The frozen meat pizza products subject to recall were produced on or before Oct. 30 and were distributed to retail establishments nationwide.

-- from http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_049_2007_Release/index.asp

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! You might want to double-check that "combination" one, too, since it looks like it may be listed in the recall as well.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Yep. I have some recipes that I put in the night before so they are ready for lunch. That's about 16 hours. That sort of thing is what crockpots are designed for.

Pfft. Pikers. [Wink]

Many Orthodox Jews labor under the delusion that Crock Pots are exclusively used for cholent. Since cholent has to be put to cook before Shabbos starts (and preferably fully cooked by that point), that means an absolute minimum of 16-18 hours (depending on sunset time and lunch time), and more often 20-24 hours.

That's what the "keep warm" setting is for. The name is misleading, but it's plenty hot to cook at that temperature. Chicken going in for more than 6 hours, or red meat going in for more than 8, stays at "keep warm" the whole time in my house. And comes out great -- frequently after cooking for 12 hours or so. (Longer on Shabbos. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine doesn't have "keep warm" just "high" and "low." I put the long cooking stuff in on low and it comes out wonderful.

I bought some Totino's pizza tonight, but no pepperoni.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Mine doesn't have "keep warm" just "high" and "low."

Sounds like my old one. It worked fine on "low," but when I needed a new one, I deliberately got one with a lower setting, and it does help. (Unlike some people, I dislike overcooked cholent, and cook Shabbos food on as low a temperature and for as short a time as I can manage.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeek! *takes the pizza's outside and sets them on fire* GAH! NOW THE SWEET AROMA OF PIZZA IS FILLING MY HOUSE!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even HEARD of Totino's but this thread really makes me want to try it. I'm also interested in giving Trader Joe's pizza a shot.

Lemme tell you something though; I went to Italy this summer and....wow. Five pizzerias on every corner and down every alley...and the competition was so high, the prices and quality were all top-notch. I sampled as much as I could and washed it down with Italian soda...I gained five pounds during my stay; it was just so....heavenly [Cry]

edit: Oh my gosh. I just went to Totino's website and came to the realization that the pizza rolls I've been snacking on for years are made by them! I never even took note of the brand name or noticed that they also made normal pizzas! This is so weird [ROFL]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I can't even eat them and I know Totino's makes pizza rolls.

Alas, Madison Avenue has a long-term lease on part of my brain.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the store with my husband Wednesday night and tried to remember what the pizza in the first post was called. I knew it was something hearty and non-gay sounding, and as I tried to express these parameters to my husband, he said "Red Baron?" I had to laugh. I mean, the idea of the Red Baron is not in any way gay, but the chap pictured on the box does look awfully cheerful. And let me say that in most respects, a gay-sounding name is promising in a pizza. Uno, Giordano, Connie...
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
*eats raw liver*

*stares at thread*

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
As far as I can tell, all frozen pizza in New Zealand sucks. [Cry]

They don't know what pizza is in New Zealand. My friend Nikki was staying with friends in New Zealand and they got a "pizza." She was horrified, and showed them what an American Pizza is like. They were in sacred awe.
That pretty much sums up pizzas here, too. Only I haven't made real (to me, which is not necessarily American, since I've never had pizza in the US) pizza here, so, you know, they're still all in the dark.

The frozen pizza here sucks. So so so very badly. Dominoes was... okay. For a while, when it first opened. Now it bites so bad. And you know what they use for sausage on their pizza? Hot dogs. Cut up, but still.... They have no clue. *shakes head* [Cry]

I had pizza from a takeaways restaurant here that was kinda... Sorta... Okay. Basically ham and chicken with cheese and barbecue sauce. But frankly, most of the American chains (even the ones I've forsaken since college, like Domino's) would blow them out of the water.

And many of the menus at pizza places here make me go "Nooooooooooo....!!!!" Refried beans, guacamole and sour cream?! Uh, wrong?!

God as my witness, I will never take American convenience foods for granted again.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
a) Where are you from, Sterling?

b) I am making a new topic about delivery.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the United States, but I'm temporarily living in Coopers Beach, New Zealand. Thus the culture, uh, pizza shock.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We can get devilled squid on our pizza. And there's burizza, a chicken buriyani (chicken in fragrant spiced rice) on a pizza, that sounds so totally disgusting to me. There's also fish pizza - chunks of white fish. It's just... so bizarre.

I've had pepperoni pizza, and I don't know what the pepperoni was, but it wasn't pepperoni.

The worst is when they use local cheese. Imported cheese is fine - we don't have much variety, but it tastes good and how you'd expect it to. The local stuff is soggy, tastes like petrochemicals, and is so incredibly squishy.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
DiGiorno used to make these "Deep Dish DiGiorno" pizzas. they took an hour in the oven to make, but i loved them. i havent seen them in any stores for a while now. Maybe they weren't as big a hit with the rest of the world...

[ November 29, 2007, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: krynn ]

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chipmunk
Member # 7975

- posted      Profile for Chipmunk           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this useful (and timely!) reference.
It inspired me to try some new brands, during the holiday frozen pizza sales.

So far, the best "new" (to me) brand has been Freschetta. Other good showings were Bellatoria (nice thin crusts), and Hy-Vee's (a regional grocer) in-house-brand.
My all-time-favorite microwave pizza remains Red Baron breakfast pizzas.

I have not been able to find any Trader Joe's - are they a regional brand?

Has anyone tried Digiorno's new stuffed crust variants? I've been tempted, but haven't succombed yet. [Smile]

The absolute worst frozen pizza I've ever experienced was Tombstone's "Light" vegetarian. Close your eyes and imagine the subtle cardboard taste of Tombstone's, combined with broccoli. I most certainly had a problem-with-my-brain-being-missing when I bought that one. [Frown]

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Trader Joe's is a regional grocer. There's a location finder on their homepage.

Interesting about Hy-Vee. There aren't any Hy-Vees where I live now, but they exist in my hometown. I'll have to ask my parents if they've tried their pizzas.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I took a chance on some rectangular pizza that looked like what they used to serve for lunch in Fairfax Public Schools. It was pretty close. I don't know why I have such fond memories of cafeteria food. I guess it's because we were a big family and mostly we had to pack lunch, so cafeteria food is kind of magical to me. I love Boca burgers too.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I used to love the cafeteria spaghetti. As an adult, I'm not sure why...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chipmunk
Member # 7975

- posted      Profile for Chipmunk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Trader Joe's is a regional grocer. There's a location finder on their homepage.

Ah, mystery solved! I knew I'd heard of them (have lived in California).

Ditto on the cafeteria nostalgia. My mom started working when the last of us reached high school, and upped all our allowances, which suddenly made school lunches an (occasional) viable luxury. [Smile]

Of course, the big treat was the occasional trek to the closest McD's (just barely close enough to walk to, but far outside the budget of my generation).

Back to Pizza (whenever I say or type that, I hear Mickey Smith's voice in my head): I have my first ever California Kitchen one in my freezer, and am planning to try it tonight, after the caucus, if it doesn't go too late. [Smile]

[ January 03, 2008, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Chipmunk ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ate at an elementary school cafeteria, and the rectangular pizza was just as vile as I remembered.

We always had the choice whether to eat school lunch or pack a lunch and I usually brought mine because the cafeteria food was disgusting.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I could never figure out why the other kids liked that pizza. Man was it revolting. I did develop a taste for the school's chickenwichs, though. And I have fond memories of both the tostada (with shredded lettuce) and their cinnamon rolls.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.