FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enchanted ::swoon:: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enchanted ::swoon::
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We just got back from seeing Enchanted. What a wonderful movie! It was better than I could have imagined.

It's better for adults than kids, I think. Tova liked it, but she was a little young to really appreciate it.

Go and see it. Honestly. Stop reading this, and go. Now. You won't regret it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Any reason not to take an 8-year-old, in your opinion?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? The posters make it look lame. "The enchanted world and the real world collide" or whatever...'cause, y'know, we've never seen THAT before.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The print ads are lame. The trailers and music videos are awesome.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Any reason not to take an 8-year-old, in your opinion?

There's some innuendo in a couple of scenes, but it doesn't last long and is quite mild.

Still, your mileage may vary.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

No reason not to take an 8 year old. Tova gets this sort of vicarious embarrassment when characters find themselves out of place. That really bugs her.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I. LOVED. IT!

I think it captured the magic of all the old Disney animated greats and brought it into the modern world. The music was catchy as all hell, the jokes were hysterical...it was just awesome! Frankly I think the ads made it look lame too, because it's a framework (animated meets real life) that's been done before to varying degrees of succuess, and I can't think of anything that has come close to how awesome this was.

I didn't see anything that would be inapproproate for a child.

If anything my only complaint was that there weren't enough musical numbers. Loved Julie Andrews as the narrator though, and all the extremely slight yet awesome references to past Disney movies, from the obvious stuff like the little bits of music, to the more subtle like naming the restaurant next to the apartment "Belle Notte."

I recommend this gushingly to all!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

That wonderful scene where Amy Adams portrays Giselle crossing the emotional threshold between viewing the world like a 2-D animated princess and viewing it like a human being was truly awesome.

I also liked that her boundless optimism wasn't completely discounted and discarded.

I would have liked more development of Idina Menzel's character Nancy...and less telegraphing of what Nancy's ultimate fate would be...but that's a minor complaint.

Between this and Hairspray I'm convinced James should never be cast as "the boring guy" in a super-hero film again. Keep him in musical comedy! [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha?
Idina Menzel is in it!?
I love her!
She's soooooooooooo..... OOO! and MM!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, just finished reading Enchantment (by OSC). I haven't seen the movie yet but is it just a coincidence that the two both have the same name and have to do with princessess, knights, and witches flipping between the present day world and the fairy tale world?
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment *does not equal* Enchanted.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by gsim1337:
Hehe, just finished reading Enchantment (by OSC). I haven't seen the movie yet but is it just a coincidence that the two both have the same name and have to do with princessess, knights, and witches flipping between the present day world and the fairy tale world?

They are not the same plot. They do not have the same title. They do not have the same characters. At most, they both use the "fish out of water" concept, but to very different purposes.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tova gets this sort of vicarious embarrassment when characters find themselves out of place. That really bugs her.
I used to be SO embarassed by Lucy's foibles that I couldn't get through an entire episode of I Love Lucy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by gsim1337:

They are not the same plot. They do not have the same title. They do not have the same characters. At most, they both use the "fish out of water" concept, but to very different purposes.
However, they do both start with E.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I used to be SO embarassed by Lucy's foibles that I couldn't get through an entire episode of I Love Lucy.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend really wants to see this and while I was rather skeptical at first, I'm glad to hear it's good. We're probably going tomorrow evening. I do have to agree that the trailers, commercials, and such do make it look lame.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, my mistake. I've only seen commercials for Enchanted anyway so I really wouldn't know. I had just finished Enchantment so they seemed similiar (and they both start with enchant, its only the suffixes that are different).
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

You mean I'm not?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
No, as a kid I felt the same way -- I died during every silly Lucy escapade. Now I think they're funny.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The land Ivan travels to in Enchantment most is most definitely not the color-saturated, musical, cute friendly talking animal-infested, 2-D cartoonland Giselle comes from in Enchanted. [Smile]

If anything, Enchanted harks back to the lands and creatures seen in films like Disney's versions of Snow White, Cinderella, etc.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Wha?
Idina Menzel is in it!?
I love her!
She's soooooooooooo..... OOO! and MM!

A duet between her and James Marsden was cut from the film, but some are saying that they might add it back in as a special feature for the DVD when it comes out. Good luck.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

You mean I'm not?
I used to be that way too. Well, used to might be a bad way to put it since I am still kind of like that, but not even remotely as much as when I was a child.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband is that way.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I'm like that too. I can't watch most romantic comedies... or really most comedies period since they all seem to center around awkward situation humor these days. It's kinda sad, cause I really do love a good slap stick as well as Monty Python/Douglas Adams style absurdist comedy. But no one seems to do that anymore unless it's overloaded with embarrassment comedy as well.

Editted to add: Just got back from seeing this movie by the way and it was excellent. Absolutely hilarious. I don't even generally go for the type of movie it's making fun of, so I expect at least a few of the jokes missed me.

[ November 24, 2007, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I found "Something About Mary" pretty difficult to watch, for, I think, the same reasons.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I have mixed impressions of the reactions to this movie.

I hear people calling it a parody, but it didn't feel that way. I mean, the CGI movies that've come out recently that are real parodies of the old fairy tales and stories, like Hoodwinked or something similar, now those are parodies. This felt much more like an homage to the old Disney flicks.

Even the review that I read in TIME (which gave the movie a C-) said that it cannibalized Disney and wasn't fun. I guess it really all depends on the person watching it, but I really don't see it.

Anybody else? Parody or homage? Cannibalized or did justice to?

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I would view it as an affectionate parody, Lyr. Parody can be gentle, affectionate, and a good example of the story type being spoofed.

And there was a lot of fun poked, from the first gag about the eerie rapport Disney heroines have with animals to the wry observation that of course a slipper was left at the ball.

But it wasn't "HAH! This is so STUPID and LAME! Disney SUX!" humor, it was "yes, this is corny...but isn't it fun?" humor. [Smile]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Puffy. I loved Enchanted, and part of the reason I did was because it reminded me of all the classic Disney elements without judging them. I also loved the way that the actress playing Giselle moved, especially in the scene where they're dancing through central park. She looked just like a Disney princess, which must be extremely difficult given the fact that they were never animated with the idea that a real person should ever be able to do that.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ahhh, well worded. Now that description I can get behind Puffy.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
She looked just like a Disney princess, which must be extremely difficult given the fact that they were never animated with the idea that a real person should ever be able to do that.

Well, yes and no. Almost all the Disney princesses were animated after the movements and manners of live models. They didn't rotoscope or anything like that, but they intensely studied specific ladies moving about and whatnot.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In fact, that first animal rapport gag got one of the biggest laughs of the screening I attended. I loved how the animators got as many mutually incompatible animals together as possible, made them all insanely cute, made them sound like a children's choir... [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was amused by the fact that pip sounded like he was from Jersey.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah, Pip was a fun take on the "sassy animal sidekick".

It's a shame that excrement joke was shoehorned in. [Razz]

Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
In fact, that first animal rapport gag got one of the biggest laughs of the screening I attended. I loved how the animators got as many mutually incompatible animals together as possible, made them all insanely cute, made them sound like a children's choir... [Big Grin]
I loved the bit in the real world when after the whole clean up song one of the pigeons ate one of the cockroaches [Big Grin]

Welcome to the real world, you can make the vermin help you, but you can't stop them from eating each other [Razz]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I saw it tonight with my 9-year-old. We both loved it.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it and so did my kids. Gets a big thumbs up from the whole clan.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

AWESOME! What Puffy said! And Lyr! And OH!

So great! So amazing that after I finished watching it once, I went to the screen next door and watched the last 45 minutes again.

Oh, that's not true. I skipped the credits the second time.

And I just ordered the soundtrack. And I'm trying to figure out when I'll have a chance to take the kids . . .

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Let me know how the soundtrack it. I'm hesitant to get it because some of the songs seem like numbers that I love the movie version of, but the soundtrack version might not leave me totally fulfilled. I especially don't like it when they cut out the dialogue that's sometimes mixed in with songs, it really ruins it.

And I'm not ashamed to say that I've had YouTube sitting open on my desktop for the last week with "That's How You Know" playing on a fairly regular basis.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

I just saw this and yeah, wow. It takes a lot for movies like this to impress me beyond "hey, that was fun!" but Enchanted was easily one of the best movies I've seen this year.

My only gripe is that while James Marsden is Disney-Prince-handsome, Amy Adams is so unattractive as to be unbelievable. It actually drew me out of the movie a couple of times because I couldn't stop thinking, "wow, she's really not pretty enough to be a Disney princess." Thankfully, she did such a fantastic job in the role that this small problem is easily forgivable.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I thought she was cute. She's no Angelina Jolie....mmm, Angelina...wait, what?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Amy Adams is so unattractive as to be unbelievable. It actually drew me out of the movie a couple of times because I couldn't stop thinking, "wow, she's really not pretty enough to be a Disney princess."

HUH?

She's ADORABLE! That nose is so perfect, I kept wondering if it was really 100% natural!

steven
Member # 8099

There's no accounting for taste, as we see.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that it was excellent.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Hey, I think she's pretty darn attractive. But then I find cute to be incredibly sexy so... perhaps I'm not the best judge.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

My only gripe is that while James Marsden is Disney-Prince-handsome, Amy Adams is so unattractive as to be unbelievable. It actually drew me out of the movie a couple of times because I couldn't stop thinking, "wow, she's really not pretty enough to be a Disney princess." Thankfully, she did such a fantastic job in the role that this small problem is easily forgivable.

Are you serious? Personally, I find her really attractive.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Hey, I think she's pretty darn attractive. But then I find cute to be incredibly sexy so... perhaps I'm not the best judge.

Oh, I do too.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

eros -

Are you serious? I generally don't find myself super attracted to Hollywood types, and to date, my only real celebrity crush is Zooey Deschanel, but I've added Amy Adams to my list. I think she's amazing, and amazingly attractive. I think I might be in the same boat as Alcon as I too find cute to be sexy, well, plus she sings, which I also find unexplainably alluring (might also be why I love Zooey). But wow, I can't believe someone said that.

I didn't for a moment question whether or not she was pretty enough to be a princess. But if you don't want her that's fine with me...less people in my way.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Frankly I think the ads made it look lame too, because it's a framework (animated meets real life) that's been done before to varying degrees of succuess . . .

I totally agree. The television ads and trailers did not make this movie look good to me. I thought it was going to be lame and forgettable.

I'm glad to hear everybody loves it. I can't wait to see it myself!

And Idina Menzel is it it?!?!?! Why did I not know this?!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Warning, she plays a fairly small role, never sings (her song was cut) and doesn't speak very often. I actually didn't know who she was until I saw this, but I thought she was good. I hope they release her song with James Marsden on the DVD.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
eros -

Are you serious? I generally don't find myself super attracted to Hollywood types,

Yes, I'm serious, and the fact that you aren't generally attracted to Hollywood types puts you in the minority.

To expand, though, I'm not exactly sure what it is about Amy Adams that I find so unattractive. It's probably a combination of things: she has really bizarrely disproportionate features, is way too pale for the rest of her features (come to think of it, I think this about most redheads), and she just looks...old. Maybe it was her makeup? I dunno. I looked up the ages of the cast and was shocked to discover Marsden is older than she is.

It may also have to do with the fact that I see reds & greens as grays, and this includes a lot of the tones in "red" hair.

Come to think of it: has Disney ever had a redheaded princess?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.