FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cloverfield

Author Topic: Cloverfield
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love when special effects are used well. The marketing for this is just brilliant too. I am seeing this movie when it comes out. Anybody else?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but what's with the name? Last preview i saw it was still untitled. This new preview looks awesome, but the name seems sort of uninspired.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's still another working title...Puffy?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
The working title is the thread title; Cloverfield.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Overwrought attention grabbing. I want to know what it is about.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of up in the air. It could be really cool, or it could be one of those things like Blair Witch, where it really isn't that good, but relies completely on clever marketing and anticipation.

I hope it's actually good.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumbles* You people need to put links when you talk about trailers. I had to go find it and it made me grumpy. [Grumble]

After watching it, it looks like a combination of Blair Witch, Signs, and Independence Day. Not the most stellar recommendation, to me...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
*grumbles* You people need to put links when you talk about trailers. I had to go find it and it made me grumpy. [Grumble]

After watching it, it looks like a combination of Blair Witch, Signs, and Independence Day. Not the most stellar recommendation, to me...

What would be the most stellar recommendation for you KQ out of curiosity?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I love monster flicks.

The problem with this much hype is that it has the potential to create such broad expectations that no one will be fully satisfied with the end product.

So far this movie looks like it will be about running and screaming while we see lots of shots of people getting taken out by or military engaging something just off screen. You know, the typical J.J. tricks of not showing us anything and revealing as little else as possible.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we watched the entire movie without actually seeing the fire breathing black mist enshrouded eighty foot polar bear from space.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

See? It's LOST: The Movie!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

I'm just there for the exploding people. O.O
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah that part might be a turn off for me. I can't tell from the trailer, but it looked like a person exploded or liquified or something from the shadows on the tent.

And that kind of stuff isn't usually my cup of tea. Frankly I like a nice green tea with honey.

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 

We are very, very different people.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The jiggly, crappy camera work turned me off.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Yeah that part might be a turn off for me. I can't tell from the trailer, but it looked like a person exploded or liquified or something from the shadows on the tent.

And that kind of stuff isn't usually my cup of tea. Frankly I like a nice green tea with honey.

Your lousy taste in beverages is no one's problem but your own, Lyrhawn. Until you come to appreciate the complex flavor and aroma of liquified person (shade liquified, of course; it's more environmentally sound), I'm not sure I have anything else to say to you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well. I mean I'd be willing to give it another try. It's been awhile. Maybe my taste buds have changed?
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I definitely caught what looked like someone swelling and exploding in the shade of a tent. Not my cup of tea either. Rumor has it that another working title for it is The Parasite. So we have giant godzilla-monster plus human exploding parasite. The godzilla-monster I could go for, not so much the parasite thingamajigger.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Great, now it's Aliens mixed with Blair Witch, The Faculty and ID4 and War of the Worlds.

Only one of those is a movie I'll watch more than once. But hey, maybe the combination will create something uniquely good. For Thanksgiving my cousin made a dip that had refried beans, sour cream and cream cheese, all of which I don't like, but together it was amazingly good.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It's had numerous working titles during filming in LA and NYC, such as:

- Slusho
- Cheese
- Chocolate Rage
...etc...

There is a whole "Alternate Reality Game/Experience" going on in the Unfiction forums over it. The "official" website is http:///www.1-18-08.com/ and contains pictures salvaged from the party and from other sources.

There's a site for the fake Slusho drink that appears both in the original teaser (before Transformers) and, originally, in one of the first episodes of Alias. They also sell Slusho! shirts and hats.

There is also a website for the fake company that's reportedly behind whatever causes the big monster to attack, Tagruato. This site was found because of a Japanese recipe found on the back of one of the pictures on the 1/18 site.

The characters in the movie, seven of them in total, also have MySpace pages.

The Tagruato website, two days ago, was hacked by an unknown organization, believed to be a group known only as "The Cause" and seeks to protect the world's oceans from Tagruato's offshore drilling.

Tagruato mines a special "deep sea nectar", the composition of which is unknown, and uses it as a secret ingredient in their Slusho! drinks. It is speculated that this offshore drilling is what either awakens an existing monster or creates one through some sort of contaminant.

I'm actually pretty involved in that ARG, to be honest. Entertaining in its own way.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Well. I mean I'd be willing to give it another try. It's been awhile.

Now that's more like it! You're a swell guy, Lyrhawn (which of course means that you're liable to be the next one to melt, just to warn you).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Exploding human parasites. Sounds like a job for Sierra 117. Where are you master chief?
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.