FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Music Videos ever

Author Topic: Favorite Music Videos ever
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I was having a reminiscent moment yesterday, thinking about how much I liked the music video for "Everything I Do (I Do It for You)" when it came out. I would watch that music video over and over, and I'm not ashamed to say it (at least, not very much). And when I remembered the video, I remembered all those emotions that went along with being 13 or 14 and on the cusp of life and everything.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about the role that music videos (mostly, but not exclusively, romantic pop) played in my adolescence. I guess you'd call it nostalgia. Maybe I'm weird to be nostalgic about music videos, but there it is.

So which music videos make up the warp and weft of your adolescence? Which ones did you watch obsessively, and every time it meant so much to you. Or you associate with those feelings of wonder and discovery that go along with youth. Or, if your boring and unnostalgic, which are your favorites.

Bryan Adams - Everything I Do
Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
Tom Petty - Free Fallin'
Paula Abdul - Rush, Rush
Janet Jackson - Escapade
George Michael - Praying for Time
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
Aerosmith - Janie's Got a Gun
Blind Melon - No Rain
Lisa Loeb - Stay
Guns 'n Roses - November Rain
Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
Extreme - More than Words

I should probably just go find a site that lists the top music videos from 1988-1994, but I thought it would be interesting to see what other Hatrackers had to say.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
This one.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Radiohead - Just
The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Rage Against The Machine - Guerrilla Radio

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dandy Warhols - Not If You Were The Last Junkie.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
By far my number one all time favorite music video is:
Weapon of Choice - Fatboy Slim featuring Christopher Walken

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Counting down my top five:

5. Falco - "Rock me Amadeus"

4. Steve Perry - "Oh, Sherrie"

3. Lacuna Coil - "Our Truth"

2. Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It"

1. Elvis vs JXL - "A Little Less Conversation"

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tool - Sober

Weezer - Keep Fishin' (with The Muppets)

Metallica - One

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Look Ma, no edits!

Mad World

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly everything by:
Michel Gondry (See: Star Guitar, Everlong, Around the World, Dead Leaves & the Dirty Ground)
Spike Jonze (See: It's Oh So Quiet or the Fatboy Slim video linked earlier)
Bjork (See: Hyperballad)
The Beastie Boys (See: Sabotage)
DCfC (See: Brothers on a Hotel Bed)

There's some overlap (e.g. Bjork & Gondry work together a lot), but that's not an accident.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

orlox, fantastic video.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I loved "Oh Sherrie" too. That may be because Steve Perry is a cross between Wayne Campbell and Michael Nesmith, two of my favorite guys.

And my favorite music video is this parody on Right Now.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere
Talking Heads took my taste in music in a radically different direction in high school. The image of a cube spinning around David Byrne's head never left my mind since I first saw it.

but before that there was the trailer for
Ultima Online 2 with Love is Hell by the Grim Faeries
Which is probably THE music video when I was that age, I used to watch it ALL the time.

S'all I can remember.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Do "Ultimate Showdown" and the SNL "More Cowbell" skit count?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
They do if mine does.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that Ultimate Showdown does, and that More Cowbell doesn't. The first is a video and the second is, as you note, a skit.

I can't get to youtube to link it, but the OK Go video for Here it Goes Again is pretty great. I wouldn't imagine that it's in my top videos of all time list, but then I don't know what videos would be.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I can't get to youtube to link it, but the OK Go video for Here it Goes Again is pretty great. I wouldn't imagine that it's in my top videos of all time list, but then I don't know what videos would be.
OK Go - Here It Goes Again

[ December 07, 2007, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: erosomniac ]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I never went looking for the "Mad World" music video.

I'll post a list of my fave videos later, though I swear this is like the third time we've had a thread like this.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Go - Here it Goes Again

Good song. Fantastic video.

Not my favorite, but worth linking

I agree with a lot of the ones posted(Weapon of Choice, One, Sober, Sabatoge...)

edit - whoops, eros beat me to it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
how bout this contribution?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Folds Still Fighting It--love the shots with the piano on the beach

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
Incubus - Drive
Korn - Freak on a Leash
Radiohead - Just (seconded)
Weezer - Keep Fishin' (seconded)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane
Weird Al - White and Nerdy
Tool - Parabol/Parabola

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Oh, and as far as simple and beautiful goes, this one tops the charts:

Coldplay - Yellow

And for a great (cute, sad, uplifting) story:

Part I - Moby - In This World
Part II - Moby - In My Heart

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Quiet Riot -- Cum On Feel Da Noiz (or however they spell it)

Devo – Whip It
Twisted Sister – We’re Not Gonna Take It (seconded)
Radiohead – No Surprises
Dire Straits – Money for Nothing

And that one with the guy standing in the room with all the furniture kind of sliding around him. I can’t think of the guy’s name. I don’t remember the song name. But it was a cool video.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Indigo Girls - Galileo and Least Complicated

I have others, but I have to leave where I'm at!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Guerrilla Radio video. Remember the Gap ads from around the same time?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Holy crap, how did I forget Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem ?!?!?!

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
And that one with the guy standing in the room with all the furniture kind of sliding around him. I can’t think of the guy’s name. I don’t remember the song name. But it was a cool video.
That'd be Jamiroquai, the video is for Virtual Insanity.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
How can we be missing Queen: I Want to Break Free

and

The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny

Oh! I almost forgot RE: Your Brains by Jonathan Coulton

[ December 07, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet (Whitesnake - Here I Go Again)

Was there a teenaged boy during the late 80's who didn't think this would be the best video of ALL TIME!?! [Big Grin]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Pharcyde--Drop

Everything happens backwards in this video. It would be interesting to know how they shot this.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
That'd be Jamiroquai, the video is for Virtual Insanity.
That's funny, because I immediately thought he was talking about the end of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Pharcyde--Drop

Everything happens backwards in this video. It would be interesting to know how they shot this.

The backwards thing reminded me of Enigma's Return to Innocense, another of my favorites.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I always liked the use of text in The Talking Heads (Nothing but) Flowers
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Nsi05HkXw

Sophie Ellis-Bextor: Murder on the Dance Floor

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Numb
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Not all are necessarily favorites, but ran across a "One-Hit Wonders" list and found some smiles worth linking.
Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
Blind Melon - No Rain
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - What I Am
Spandau Ballet - True
4 Non Blondes - What's Up
The Knack - My Sharona
Nena - 99 Luftballons
A-Ha - Take On Me
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract
Huey Lewis & The News - I Want A New Drug

[ December 09, 2007, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

When you say music video, that's what i think. Before my time, but my kind of music.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I forgot to add one of my all time favourites;

Love Is All

The song was written by Roger Glover for the "Butterfly Ball" album, which was a musical adaption of a picture book. The voice for Froggy is done by Ronnie Dio. I'm sure some of you are familiar with it. If I had the means I would link to a Youtube file, but I'm hoping that somebody else will do that in my stead.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this one.

Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, "No More I Love Yous", by Annie Lennox.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
DMB: Crush and Space Between

White Stripes: Hardest Button to Button and Seven Nation Army

Keane: Crystal Ball

Gogol Bordello: Start Wearing Purple

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd never seen the video for Seven Nation Army. That is too cool.
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
It mesmerizes me.

Also I was going to mention Interstella 5555 but eros beat me to it.

Jack Johnson and Coldplay reversed vids: Sitting, Waiting, Wishing and Scientist

More Jack: Breakdown and Taylor

Chemical Brothers : Let Forever Be

LCD Soundsystem: Daft Punk is Playing at my House

Which is inspired by one of the greatest of all times: Around the World

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, Tonightby the Smashing Pumpkins (Seconded)

Thriller by Michael Jackson. That's one I can't believe no one mentioned.

Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie

Thirty-three by the Smashing Pumpkins

Pagan Poetry by Bjork (WARNING: Certain images are not for the squeemish.)

Closer by Nine Inch Nails (WARNING: Explicit lyrics, disturbing images.)

The Perfect Drug by Nine Inch Nails

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
This one.

Now I finally got why this is funny!
[ROFL]

[ December 09, 2007, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Pegasus ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurt: Johnny Cash

Shock the Monkey: Peter Gabriel

Once in a Lifetime: Talking heads

Twist in my Sobriety: Tanita Tikaram

Man in the Mirror: Michael Jackson

Sharkey's Day: Laurie Anderso

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Mute Math's Typical is another reversed video that's fun. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
OK GO - A Million Ways to be Cruel
OK GO - Here it Goes Again
Evanescence - Good Enough
Lacuna Coil - Our Truth
Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Impressed -They Might be Giants
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, Finger Eleven's Paralyzer is one of my favorites.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason Webley - 11 Saints
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Pharcyde--Drop

The backwards thing reminded me of Enigma's Return to Innocense, another of my favorites.
When I heard "everything happens backwards" I immediately thought of Mute Math's Typical. Awesome video, awesome song.

I sort of assumed they were like singing backwards or something, so when they play it backwards, they sing it forwards but the actual movements are all backwards. Otherwise I don't have a clue.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.