FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Author Topic: The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, religious fundamentalists may literally agree with that title! [Smile]

Richard Dawkins, Dan Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens sit down for a two hour conversation about all things atheist.

You can watch it for free or go buy the dvd on richarddawkins.net.

I haven't watched it yet(i just stumbled across it), but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a title more appropriate for a rock band rather then a group of tired grumpy old men.
[Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what they want you to think. Little do you realize that the four horsemen of the Apocalypse are four tired and grumpy old men:

Dick Cheyney is War.
Richard Simmons is Famine.
Dr. Kevorkian is Disease.
and
Abe Vigoda is Death

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Horses? Comes the apocalypse, they'll be riding Hummers.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT video.
Love it. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Get it straight: Dr. Kevorkian is death.

And they need to update the 4 categories to include global climate change.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Abe Vigoda is still alive!
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I "watched" it, meaning I had it in the background for the last two hours. Everything they said made sense to me. I do like how ready they are to disagree with each other on some of the very small details--it adds a bit to what is otherwise a pretty boring conversation (if you've already read their books and talked about this stuff).

One good argument came about when one basically said "I don't think I would want to eradicate religion entirely, because then there's no more argument" and Dawkins pipes up with "Why on earth not?" That was funny.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Disease? What happened to Pestilence or Conquest?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dr. Kevorkian is Disease.
It got changed to Pollution in the 19th century, though.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Dawkins, Dan Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens are not the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. They are the Four Other Riders of the Apocalypse.

VROOOM VROOOOM.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Disease? What happened to Pestilence or Conquest?

Forget that! Where's apathy??
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Cynicism, Fluff, Sarcasm, and Tom Davidson.

Who're these other pansies y'all are talking about?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats. I misremembered cynicism as apathy.

You sure there wasn't an apathy?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Procrastination should be arriving tomorrow...

Good video BTW. Thanks. I'm reading the God Delusion and the Bible in parallel - it makes interesting reading.

I have the Hobbit on the go too, for when my brain hurts [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.