FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do not try this at home.

Author Topic: Do not try this at home.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I laundered my flash drive.

And it still works!

No kidding, a few weeks ago I heard a clankety-clank in the dryer and when I went to see what it was, it was one of the 40-gig flash drives I'd recently purchased. Dang, I'd been wondering what I'd done with that. (note to self: no more sticking flash drives in pants pockets)

I almost threw it out, assuming that an electronic device that had just experienced a cycle in the washing machine and dryer was not going to work. I also had this hunch that any retailer/manufacturer would say that I'd voided the warranty! ;-)

But tonight I was cleaning up for Christmas guests and came across it, and despite some misgivings about what the defective drive might do to my computer, went ahead and plugged it into the USB. Lo and behold, nothing unusual happened, the files are all still on there and appear to be intact, and I was even able to save a new file onto it.

Who'da thunk?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Are you sure you didn't plug in an unwashed flash drive by mistake?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing. They make 40-gig flash drives?!
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Sorry, big typo -- 4 GB, not 40!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I know it's the same one because I'd marked the other one w/ a piece of tape to be able to tell them apart.

It doesn't even have a cap/lid on it. It has one of those retractable USB thingies, so I figured that the water would have totally wrecked the insides.

I can't remember if I got to it before it had been in the dryer long; I may have heard it clanking before it got really hot in there.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine went through a complete washer/dryer cycle a few months ago and still works without a hitch. I was sure I had destroyed it.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that to one of mine. It worked fine for about a week then decided to die. [Frown]
Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was fine the first time I did it, but the second time..
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had pen drives survive wash cycles multiple times. I think they have a tiny wizard inside.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done that to my 1 GB flash drive so many times. It surprises me more every time it happens. I don't know how much more abuse the thing can take.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Sooo . . . I guess what you're all trying to tell me is that I'm not a participant in a unique, special, miraculous event? [Wink]
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Sooo . . . I guess what you're all trying to tell me is that I'm not a participant in a unique, special, miraculous event? [Wink]

Sorry, but no. I think they're built to withstand a certain amount of abuse. How much depends on the brand and the particular model. I had a Verbatim flash drive that got plugged into a USB port and didn't like, and it said 'see ya' and died.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.