FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Registration Suspension Suspense And Temporarality Suspended Extemporaneously (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Registration Suspension Suspense And Temporarality Suspended Extemporaneously
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE writing essays. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
As do I.

When they're about topics I care about.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I hate to be a persistent nagger, but we're at the point now where what just happened was what I warned was going to happen and there's a number of reasons, most notably that the lock-and-edit used for the Spam Whistle Race left spammer info intact on their profile pages, such as is the case for users like these:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00011433

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00011432

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00011425

Since the spammers only need to seed information on as many sites as possible, if they get to keep even this much information on the site left by them, then Hatrack is a successful target for them. The issue with this oversight is that yhis is one of the primary things that greatly increase spam frequency load. CAPTCHAs and other automated processes help but generally the most important thing is to ensure zero breakthrough so that the people hired to do this don't see any reason to continue.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an account that's never been posted in. Someone who'll use it is welcome to it.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking o' spam: to be on the safe side, guys, you may not want to put full legitimate working e-mail addresses into a forum post... Occasionally one encounters roving spam-bots that love to scan forums for such information. Spelling out "ats" and "dots" makes things a little more secure.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
i have a spare user ID that can be reassigned ....

Surely the correct user test is:

Which are you? (please be forgiving of spelling)

Frameling
Utlaning
Ramen
Varelse
Djur

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only gotten one request at the Janitor account, and I wrote back and never got a response, so I guess we haven't had anyone new yet. If there is anyone, you're still welcome to e-mail me or use the "Contact" link near the top of the page (use Forum: Hatrack River as the topic if you want it to get to me). Or follow the instructions of other people who have given instructions.

If we continue to have no requests for a while despite this thread, I'll be unstickying this thread due to uselessness.

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

(Added at the end so people using the "Jump to new posts" link will see it, too.)

Inserted new info:

The webmaster has reopened registrations, but this is mainly for test purposes. Those of you who are already members, please do not take this time to register new names. If there's a new person out there who wishes to register you can try, but since the process designed to block spambot registrations is still in testing, it's possible that you won't get registered anyway -- I'm not sure exactly how it's working (haven't tested it myself, either). For those who got various server errors today, that's likely the cause. Thanks for your patience.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

Registration is back open, hopefully permanently.

--PJ

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
rrrighteous.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.