FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » JK Rowling drops hints of possible eighth Harry Potter book (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: JK Rowling drops hints of possible eighth Harry Potter book
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=505148&in_page_id=1773

Interesting..... could be fun. I see a Harry's Shadow book. Maybe she should have a talk with OSC on how it's done!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Do not want. Not unless they get her an editor and stat. Books 5 through 7 were such amazing let downs that I really don't want an 8th. And I kinda want them to go back and edit the ever lovin' crap out of the back half of the series. Maybe include 4 in it too. Her edited books are amazing, she has a talent for plot, her world is wonderful and her style -- once shortened and cleaned up -- is a blast. But once the editors stopped trying her books went hard core down hill. The plot became messy with unnecessary turns, her style became slow and bogged down and the world became harder to get lost in.

But I guess there isn't much chance of her being edited more in the future... unless her fame dies down or people start to actually read her books more closely. Oh well.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see how this is special news. She's already said before that it's a possibility, but not for at least a decade, but that we'd likely get an encyclopedia of some sort regardless.

I'm in the middle of that Time Magazine article, and it sounds like she really wants to get back to it, but that she really, really needs a break. I won't be surprised if she goes back to that world again, but I bet I have kids of my own by the time she does.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Books 5 through 7 were such amazing let downs that I really don't want an 8th.

Agreed. Totally. I quit after book 5. It was twisty too a point of losing me. She had the first 4 books down pat, they were fantastic and original. It just kind of felt like she lost her vision, like so many TV shows that go on for too long.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I like second half better.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, the first two books do nothing for me, and it isn't till the third that i begin really liking them.

5-7 are my favorite books in the series.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Strider.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Though I like 3-7 the best I think.

If it's a good book, i'll devour it.
Heck, I'd devour it while trying to find out if it's good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
<shrug> I've liked them all; the early ones are just different from the later ones. The only one I mild-to-moderately disliked was "Harry is a teenager, it's time for him to start screaming at everyone" book 5.

I thought _Deathly Hallows_ finished things off pretty effectively and satisfyingly. I wouldn't hold it against her if she wanted to write another, but I think she's right that it shouldn't focus on Harry. I won't wait with baited breath.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the new book could be about when Harry travels at near light speed throughout the universe trying to find the perfect world for the Voldomort egg he has been carrying... etc.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaaaaaaah! Nooo! Don't do it, JK! Don't give into the pressure!!

[Angst]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Books 5 through 7 were such amazing let downs that I really don't want an 8th.

Agreed. Totally. I quit after book 5. It was twisty too a point of losing me. She had the first 4 books down pat, they were fantastic and original. It just kind of felt like she lost her vision, like so many TV shows that go on for too long.
Heresy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the actual article (and not the misleading title) it seems some mild, off-hand, hazy remarks by Rowling about possibly doing another novel set in the Potterverse some day has been spun into "The Harry Potter series will continue!"

Which isn't what she said. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree strongly with Alcon, and second what Shawshank said. Books 5-7 were J.K. Rowling's best books of the series. You might even add book 4, where most reviewers concede the stories began to get "darker." They were electrifying. Maybe you cannot ask perfection of any writer, but I don't know how she could have tied up all the plot threads better than she did in book 7. By hindsight, someone might say they wish she had said something about this, or about that; but on the whole, as a creative work, Rowling has done a truly superb job, and deserves to be compared to J.R.R. Tolkien.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite books in the series were books 3 and 7. Book 6 is the only one that I really didn't like that much. I felt that in 6 she twisted characters around to push the plot and started in altogether the wrong place. But 7 was astounding and divine.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be the only one who is happiest nestled snugly in the middle of her series, specifically books 3, 4, and 5. Maybe a bit of 6.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, I come close. 3,5, and parts of 7.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought book 7 was one of the best 2. The other would either be 3, 4, or 5, probably 4. It's funny how people talking about a book series jumping the shark. They never mention how a series can un-jump the shark.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it jumped the shark. I just think her editors made a bad call by deciding her books would continue to sell whether they were edited or not and therefor deciding not to spend the time editing them. If you like books 4 through 7 now imagine how awesome they would be if they'd been edited down and sleeked up a bit. Like the first three were.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I say we let OSC rewrite them all, without the "she said fiercely" stuff.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like people that have commented on that article...

Sherlock Holmes was killed off, but returned due to pressure on Doyle from his friends, family, and thousands (perhaps millions) of fans, much to the enjoyment of everyone.

Perhaps the same will happen with Harry Potter, due to pressure on Rowling from her friends, family, and millions (perhaps billions) of fans, much to the enjoyment of everyone.

While she doesn't need to continue the Harry Potter series, it's honestly more desirable than simply leaving an intricately-designed world and setting on the shelf to rot. There's so much potential there for her to build off of--all we've seen so far are London and the deep countryside of Scotland, along with some random spots around the English countryside. To say that she has room to expand is a severe understatement.

And we need not suppose that she'd restrict herself to the happy, eerie setting of Hogwarts; I can see the potential for some seriously gripping, dark stories in the world she has created.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the order of my favorites is: 4, 6, 7, 3, 2, 5, 1. Five was a lot like SW Ep 3, to me - some cool stuff, some painful character stuff.

I'm just looking forward to her Encyclopedia Hogwartsia, or whatever she'll call it.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Hogwarts?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"Hogwarts-A History".
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"I say we let OSC rewrite them all, without the "she said fiercely" stuff."

My favorite was the use of "bracingly." I don't think there was anything that Hermione wouldn't consider saying bracingly.

Is that even the word? My spell check is tossing it out.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

No way! He's just going to posess Hermione and make her lecture everyone about morality!
Not to mention McGonagall, and Hagrid as well.

I love all of the books, but 2 is probably not my favourite. Compared to 3 it isn't as strong. It's not bad though.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Reading the actual article (and not the misleading title) it seems some mild, off-hand, hazy remarks by Rowling about possibly doing another novel set in the Potterverse some day has been spun into "The Harry Potter series will continue!"

Which isn't what she said. [Wink]

Well, natch. But then what would all the rapid Potterfen squabble about? [Wink]

And yes, bracingly is a real word.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe my problem is more that 1-4 were released on a timely schedule. Then 5 seemed to just take forever. By the time I actually got a chance to read it, the series had lost all of the magic, at least for me. Hogwarts was simply another school, and just happened to house wizards instead of normal children. I guess I just kinda felt like it was the same thing over and over again with a little bit of a twist to keep it partially interesting. I liked the first one; two was ok, not great, but not bad; three really got me into the series; four was phenomenal to me; and then five killed any interest I had. Maybe I should give it another chance.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If Rowling wanted to do us a favor, she'd release the setting to the world and let us fill it with for-profit fanfic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Please, no. The deluge of "Draco is GOOD, it's those filthy stuck-up Gryffindors who were REALLY evil!" stories alone would bury us all in moments! [Angst]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, you have to add:

but Harry knew all along that Draco was good and they made passionate love twice an evening, just like Sirius and Remus.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
"I say we let OSC rewrite them all, without the "she said fiercely" stuff."

My favorite was the use of "bracingly." I don't think there was anything that Hermione wouldn't consider saying bracingly.

Is that even the word? My spell check is tossing it out.

How about "sallow"? Everyone had some sort of sallow feature in the series.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

I say we let Stephen R. Donaldson rewrite them, and Harry can clench a lot.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Potter book would seem dangerously close to Lucasism to me. Sometimes you just have to step away from the painting and call it finished.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, if she did books about James at Hogwarts, I could see it being Lucasism. But she's created such a cool world. I mean, I think she should definitely not write more books about Harry, but she said that herself in the link in the first post. Why not explore that world a little?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Puffy, you have to add:

but Harry knew all along that Draco was good and they made passionate love twice an evening, just like Sirius and Remus.

The absolute creepiest stuff I've run across is the Snape/Hermione fanfic. Granted, most of it takes place after Hermione is an adult, but still. <shudder>
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Well, if she did books about James at Hogwarts, I could see it being Lucasism. But she's created such a cool world. I mean, I think she should definitely not write more books about Harry, but she said that herself in the link in the first post. Why not explore that world a little?

Although I believe that it is possible to revisit a world effectively, I wonder how much could be added to her world before it starts to detract from it. I use Lucas as an example not just because of 1-3, but also because of the re-release of 4-6. I think he returned to his canvas after having lost the focus that created the original work. I'm not saying Rowling can't pull it off, but somewhere within me the undead ghost of a disillusioned star wars fan boy stirs, shuddering when considering what could go wrong.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Puffy, you have to add:

The absolute creepiest stuff I've run across is the Snape/Hermione fanfic. Granted, most of it takes place after Hermione is an adult, but still. <shudder>
[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] I am so ashamed for being momentarily intrigued. [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

I agree that some books set in the Potterverse could be great fun. Especially so long as they are far enough removed from Harry and his Crew.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I like Snape/Hermione!

I would love to see another book, possibly based in Hogwarts (through a teacher's perspective, maybe Neville). Or some even less known charecter like Susan Bones or Dennis Creevey.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most interesting spinoff book a la Ender's Shadow would be from Ginny's perspective.

Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea to do a prequel with James, Sirious, Snape, and the crew. I don't think they'd come off well.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I think the most interesting spinoff book a la Ender's Shadow would be from Ginny's perspective.

Agreed.
quote:
Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea to do a prequel with James, Sirious, Snape, and the crew. I don't think they'd come off well.
Meh, it's not like they come off very well in the existing novels. Rowling makes it pretty clear they were jerks in school.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was trying to say.

More than that, though, I think it's tough to write an enjoyable book where the protagonist is an a-hole.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'd much rather see it later, after the Voldemort stuff, from someone else's perspective. I'm afraid it would be too much harry worship and hate if done while he was at hogwarts.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Madeline L'Engle did a good job of telling completely different stories about the children of characters from earlier books, and the earlier characters were only peripheral parts of the story, usually. I think it can be done well, but it has to be done carefully.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yes, but I think that's largely due to the nature of the Wrinkle in Time universe. What with the time-travel and dimension-hopping it's relatively easy to keep your characters from bumping into one another. Hogwarts is a lot tougher, I think, in that respect.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I still want to see the story of the Hogwarts Founders. There's a lot there- the Gryffindor/Slytherin split over ideology, Helga Hufflepuff and her daughter (who was killed by her lover). And that's safely removed enough from Harry and the crew.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Rowena Ravenclaw's daughter.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
JT, I disagree. The books that focus on Meg and Calvin's daughter (why am I blanking on her name? Poly!) don't have that much time travel. There's only one that's really all that involved in the time travel. But it's been a while since I've read them all, so I could be wrong...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

I like Shawshank's idea about the founders. And what about a collection of short stories that happen at Hogwarts several years before Harry ever showed up?

OOOOooh, I want her to do more adult oriented stories that happen in the Potterverse long before Harry was born. Neato. (And scandalous!)

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's now official: Hermione Granger and the Revolting Potions
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.