FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center - Obama Clinches Nomination (Page 5)

This topic comprises 82 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  80  81  82   
Author Topic: Presidential Primary News & Discussion Center - Obama Clinches Nomination
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only 60% reportinig. I do think the pollsters will have to answer for that if Clinton ultimately takes the show.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Be patient. There's still a huge chunk of votes left.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
MSNBC has it at 39-36
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
About 4,600 votes separating him. Still no reporting from the heavily Obama favored college towns.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Which counties are those?
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Durham and Hanover I believe.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Yeah, they're not in CNN's drop down list yet. *crosses fingers*
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Biden 386 0%
Dodd 119 0%

Heh.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

MSNBC says Hilary Projected winner NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! This can't be true!!!
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, all these "counties" as CNN and others are calling them are actually cities and towns. New England isn't like a lot of the rest of the USA. There is no unincorporated land up here (except maybe in way-up-north Maine).

Looks like Hilary has it. Her real margin has been going up proportional to the reported results percentage. An interesting news day tomorrow.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

AP and MSNBC call the race for Clinton.

Bok, I dunno, they still haven't counted the votes in the cities (counties, cities, whatever, they haven't been counted) that are expected to go heavily Obama, and there are maybe 10-12K votes there. If he takes those by a 2 to 1 margin, it puts the race back into real contention.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

But only 66% is in? what about the remaining 34%?
rollainm
Member # 8318

CNN is still holding out.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
But only 66% is in? what about the remaining 34%?

They're projecting Clinton to win because in the bigger cities she continues to maintain a pretty big lead.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
So did Hillary win because she cried?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Blayne -

A lot of the time they will take the results, especially if they have been consistant for a long time (Hillary's lead has held steady in Manchester and Nashua, the big population centers) and she's been ahead by at least 2,500 for the last hour and change.

Looking at that kind of trend, a lot of them will assume that they will continue and that the last 34% can't save him. And that may be. Generally though places (CNN) like to wait if specific uncounted counties (cities, whatever) are expected to skew heavily to one side.

The pollsters are going to catch hell regardless tomorrow.

pooka
Member # 5003

Probably. My brother said "Don't hit girls" was going to factor large in this race.

Also, Romney has as many delegates as Clinton will at the end of the day. Interesting to consider.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Ugh...the gap is growing.

40-36 now.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

CNN calls it for Clinton.

5,900 vote gap.

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly the blowout win for Obama it looked like just earlier today. What happened? How could the pollsters get it so wrong?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

So, how many delegates will she win over Obama in this race? I know the super delegates are already somewhat decided, but I wonder how New Hampshire divides up those delegate votes.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My question - Obama has already called to congratulate her. What happens if he surges and wins? Does he call back? Is there an appropriate Hallmark card for the situation?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The pollsters oversampled the youth vote and undersampled women. In other words? They overcorrected for Iowa.

The Superdelegates aren't totally decided. Less than half have given their vote. Near as I can tell, Obama and Hillary have 8 delegates each from New Hampshire.

pooka
Member # 5003

CNN.com shows to cumulative delegates, and really, Romney has 23, Hillary has 23, and Obama has 24. Or maybe I have them reversed. McCain, by comparison, has 9.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
So, how many delegates will she win over Obama in this race? I know the super delegates are already somewhat decided, but I wonder how New Hampshire divides up those delegate votes.

CNN has Clinton and Obama with 8 delegates each.

[Edit] I should specify - 8 from NH.

[edit2] Lyr beat me to it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh, he'll do what Gore did and call back to say "wait, I was kidding, I take it back!"

6,900 vote gap.

The Hanover vote is in, Obama took it by a two to one margin, but only netted 1,500 votes. Still a 6,600 vote gap though. Nothing from the more heavily populated Durham. At this point I think we're looking for the margin of victory.

Here's something to think about. Edwards has said he'll stay in the race, well, until the middle class have their say, basically, God knows when that might be. But what would happen to the race of Edwards pulled out. Where would his votes go? Could that hand it to Obama?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You know what, I told you the 19th amendment was a mistake all this time *nods*. [Razz]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"Yes We Can!" *kicks Hilary into the bottomless pit*
pooka
Member # 5003

So when people pull out of the race, what happens to their delegates?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The superdelegates are uncommitted by definition, and only a handful have given endorsements to any candidate.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The margin is back down to 2%, but that's of larger numbers. This reminds me of when I was looking at the rate of change on sunset times the other day, or possibly this morning.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Hilary's speech right now. She seems very quite, reserved, and tired.

Huge difference between this and Obama's speech.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, they usually pledge their delegates to another candidate. That said, I don't think there is anything that binds them to the pledge. Of course, I would bet they get blackballed and lose their delegate status the next time around if they don't.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

To the delegates given to them by the state...I'm not sure. Legally they could vote for whoever they want regardless. So I wouldn't be surprised if those who dropped out are allowed to more or less designate where their delegates should go to in their absence.
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, I think it's good for her to show a little "gravitas" after so much emotion this week.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
Watching Hilary's speech right now. She seems very quite, reserved, and tired.

Huge difference between this and Obama's speech.

She seems relieved. This is going to give her a break from all the "Hillary is Out" headlines we've seen over the past few days.

-So where does the Romney go from here? A Mass politician losing NH is historic in its own way, but I don't think his campaign in "bad" shape -- he's placed second in two contests, and has had one victory, after all. Overall, he may be doing better than the others, even with these two high-profile losses.

--j_k edited to fix paragraph 2

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh.

Durham and Hanover are both in. Hillary still has a 6200 vote lead.

I know it'll never be looked at this way, because in the media a win is almost a winner take all media grab, the gap doesn't matter. But 280,000 votes were cast for the Democrats. First off that's like 70,000 more than in 2004, which is an amazingly good sign for the Democratic party. Considering how many people generally do NOT vote in primaries, this is even more proof that Democrats are utterly fired up this year. 220,000 Republicans, that's actually a drop from 2004 when the candidate, Bush, was running unopposed! Not a good sign for them.

But look, 280,000 votes, and he might lose by 6,000, Hillary doesn't exactly have a mandate. That's a narrow damned margin. I think they come out of Iowa and New Hamphsire neck and neck in the other early states, and they'll barrel into HyperTuesday in a dead heat. New Hampshire proved I think that Edwards and Richardson are done, it's a Hillary/Obama race, and that race is still on.

pooka
Member # 5003

If he got second in every race and the first place winner was different every time, he could in theory win. Not that I think that's our best man to send into the General. [Wink]

I think Thompson may very well be out. Here's a chart that shows all of tonight's tallies:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#NH

Clinton's lead is back down under 6 k.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like all the delegates have been accounted for. Obama and Hillary both have 9. And Edwards snagged 4.

Durham county came in too. Obama beat Clinton handily there, but it still only netted him 500 votes.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

I wonder how many of those independents voted to manipulate the party opposite that of the candidate they plan on voting for in the general election.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

JTK -

Romney is fine...for the moment. He and Huckabee are fighting it out for Michigan at the moment. Delegates there don't matter as much as the media push. We haven't seen the bump that McCain will get yet. It almost makes the polls we have now useless, but Romney is very much alive, even if he may be a little cash poor after the money he has wasted in Iowa and New Hampshire.

All top four Republicans are still alive. But let's see what the polls say at the end of the week, if we even trust them anymore.

pooka
Member # 5003

Top Four?

I suppose you mean Giuliani. But there comes a point where if you're seeing a ton of ads for him, and he's only in 4th place, well, all the ads in the world won't turn Taco Bell into McDonalds.

P.S. Obama just broke 90k, but Clinton broke 95k.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I was amazed to see Clinton's weakness yesterday, and have to wonder if it was planned. The main thing attracting me to her over Obama is that she's made of steel and she would be a strong leader. Getting teary-eyed may not be an ideal trait.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Top four pooka. He's still ahead or in second in the HyperTuesday states. Nationally McCain is the weakest of them. We'll see what sort of bump he gets this week, but he's way down there. Romney hasn't been knocked off, and Huckabee isn't gone, even if he has been quiet lately. There's no clear frontrunner among them. And Giuliani still has a lot of money, and a lot of support.

If anyone wants to chat about this, I'll be in hatrackchat for the next couple hours.

pooka
Member # 5003

The gap between Clinton and Obama is widening out toward 7 k again. I should probably go to sleep. 9 more minutes, mom, promise!
Tstorm
Member # 1871

I was gonna post something earlier about that youth vote being unpredictable. At any rate, it will be fun to read the media's excuses tomorrow morning.

Personally, I'm glad that Clinton's margin of victory was as small as it was. The race is far from over. And with that, I bid political stuff adieu for a long while. Hopefully. [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll be taking a break from this for a little while, with school starting I have a bunch of crap to deal with. After tonight I probably won't pop in here much until next Monday or Tuesday when Michigan votes.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you guys might be interested in this. Here's the Union Leader's (the Manchester paper) article containing the spreadsheet of all the voting data from all the towns and cities.

Democrat

Republican

Also, could you guys please be at least somewhat nicer to Clinton? If this thread is being treated as a main news center/reporting thread (as it seems it is now), it'd be nice not to see a lot of heavy-handed candidate (not even just Hillary) bashing. Or state bashing, for that matter.

Stop picking on my little state, please. [Wink]

[edited to clarify counties vs. towns/cities]

The counties in NH are Belknap, Carroll, Cheshire, Coos, Grafton, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham, Strafford, and Sullivan.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo, it's still a race.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me if Romney, or Obama had broken down and started crying for any reason other then happiness we would be talking about it JUST as much.

Not to mention MANY candidates in preceding pages have been taking hits.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 82 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  80  81  82   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.