FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finger painting prodigy

Author Topic: Finger painting prodigy
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing, that is, if it's real.

This kid is awesome! I tried to find other videos, but this seems to be the only one.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The top commenter seems to think it's fake.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that I heard somewhere about a little kid doing something very similiar to this. Apparently a lot of people somehow caught the parents while they were faking a painting. They had like told the kid where to make the dots and I think the father was the one actually doing a lot of the work.

It's funny because I was almost certain that I heard about the story from Hatrack.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that you never see the kid and the painting at the same time (only up to about half a hand), is pretty suspicious.

Also, it's clearly filmed for production in this way. A real parent filming his kid would get much more of his child in action and less of just the arm and the painting and the kid seperately.

Unless I see a more convincing video, my money's on a fake.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Video isn't loading for me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the video I'm thinking of, I'm also fairly certain it's fake.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
rubber hand
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=w_yani
http://www.artworkoriginals.com/EB5TBWNH.htm

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the first comment on the video, if you watch carefully there is a difference between the first smudge he makes and the series of dots shown in the first zoom.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And when you see the kid, he is kind of slapping at the paper and giggling, but when you just see the hand, the fingers never change position at all.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there some girl---she's around 5, her name begins with an M---who really is a painting prodigy? At least her paintings have been sold for thousands of dollars. To me, though, they're too "abstract" to convey much of anything; they simply look like swirls of color. I'd be more impressed if she could paint a good bowl of apples.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't pay as much attention to the hand's movement or lack thereof, or the kid's hands. What I did look at was the composition. I've worked with a lot of 3-year-olds and while some of them are very talented artists, and many of them do have a strong sense of composition and design, it just is not within the comprehension of most three-year-olds to learn how to do a painting as it's done, even if they were taught the technique. An intelligent three-year-old could learn the dot composition technique, but I cannot believe that a three-year-old would put the dots down in the order they are put down. Does that make sense? Even if he had very, very advanced motor skills and had been drilled in the technique, he would not compose the painting the way it is composed.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if the video was real, I don't know why they wouldn't have shown a shot from above which showed for sure that it was the kid. This is like one of those shots from the movies where you see the star sitting at the piano but can't see the keys, then you see the hands and the keys, but not the star. Kinnndaaaa makes ya wonder ...

Omega, I know who you're talking about. I can't remember her name for the life of me, but I remember having the same thought, that they were too abstract. They were skilled though. I can't remember her age, but I do know it was very young.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.