FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ron Paul rally in World of Warcraft

Author Topic: Ron Paul rally in World of Warcraft
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

I saw this on Political Machine, trying to locate a story about Paul being excluded from a debate (which I never did find.)

On the one hand it pleases me because I think Ron Paul is a nutjob, but I also think it's a fun demonstration of political solidarity.

Also, sorry if this is a re-link, but I did try searching "Paul" and "Warcraft" and got zip.

[ January 03, 2008, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess they could reach a half a million voting eligible adults (or more, maybe closer to a million) through WoW.

Not a bad strategy for someone who embraces the unusual for publicity. Though I'd rather the Ronpaulians not crash my server... because then I'd have to hate them.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who expected this thread to be Blayne talking about some guy he knows from his online video games named Paulista?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

That would certainly surprise me. But I'll clarify the thread title.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
How odd.

If you came across that group of people while playing WoW though, how would you know it was a Ron Paul rally? I didn't see anything with his name on it or anything (though that would probably be beyond the scope of the game) it just looked like a bunch of people standing around.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
If you came across that group of people while playing WoW though, how would you know it was a Ron Paul rally?

You could tell because their tactic of choice is forum-spamming their opponents into submission/assimilation.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could tell because their tactic of choice is forum-spamming their opponents into submission/assimilation.
Just like they spammed 19.5 million in small donations. On a side note, how do you think he will do in Iowa? I am thinking 4th but hoping for 3rd.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
How odd.

If you came across that group of people while playing WoW though, how would you know it was a Ron Paul rally? I didn't see anything with his name on it or anything (though that would probably be beyond the scope of the game) it just looked like a bunch of people standing around.

I saw the guild tag <Ronpaulians> on at least one character when the camera was at the right angle to make it readable. And likely every low level character was in the same guild. 300 people running around with that under their name, and it's not exactly a subtle reference...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Ha! I just got this. I don't even like Ron Paul. I just thought it was a funny idea.
Timoty
Member # 10389

- posted      Profile for Timoty   Email Timoty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe. Server crashing WoW may not be an effective political tactic - but it's worked for other problems in the past. (One particular class in WoW was felt far too weak by the players - the shaman. Shamans from several servers grouped together and crashed a few servers to get a point across to Blizzard Entertainment.)

EDIT: Also - my guild in WoW is named <Grey Orange Grey> (Dragon Army, while a better reference to Ender's Game, just doesn't convey what we wanted in our guildname)

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
Just like they spammed 19.5 million in small donations. On a side note, how do you think he will do in Iowa? I am thinking 4th but hoping for 3rd.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Gandhi

Third would be awesome.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
I'd guess they could reach a half a million voting eligible adults (or more, maybe closer to a million) through WoW.

And many of them non-Americans.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:

And many of them non-Americans.
Already accounted for. 9 million players, I believe approximately 2 million of those are in the US. Taking out all the under 18 crowd and non-citizens (and, you know, convicted felons), I was thinking that would leave between 25 and 50% of those playing in the US as eligible voters.

And <Grey Orange Grey> is much more subtle than the <Salamander Army> I'm in.

lem
Member # 6914

quote:
I was thinking that would leave between 25 and 50% of those playing in the US as eligible voters.
And how any of those are on that server at that time in that area of the march?

I see it as highly unproductive, but I think it is neat in showing the depth of creativity grass roots Paul supporters will go to in order for their candidate to get more attention.

It is pretty cool that you get an array of grassroots support from WoW marches to street corner sign holdings to city marches to money bombs to historical event recreations to a blimps to full page ads in local and major newspapers to air corps sky typing.

We are a tenacious bunch that should have higher then average voter turn out for our candidate.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
I was thinking that would leave between 25 and 50% of those playing in the US as eligible voters.
And how any of those are on that server at that time in that area of the march?

I see it as highly unproductive, but I think it is neat in showing the depth of creativity grass roots Paul supporters will go to in order for their candidate to get more attention.

It is pretty cool that you get an array of grassroots support from WoW marches to street corner sign holdings to city marches to money bombs to historical event recreations to a blimps to full page ads in local and major newspapers to air corps sky typing.

We are a tenacious bunch that should have higher then average voter turn out for our candidate.

Oh, a few thousand at most on that server (one faction, in a capitol city that's the most they would get if they were there for an hour or two). But the fact they had that many people, they could send one of them to each server and each faction to spread the word. And like was mentioned before, these sorts of things gain a cult following in that game, and all the curious and bored will show up at the next one and help the cause in their accidental way. There will be pointless debates about it, imitation events, people threatening to report anyone who does it, etc.

Either way, it'll wind up being a lot of word of mouth press. And usually it will be content and controversy free, and the only thing that will even get mentioned is the name. And name recognition is one of the best things you can have going for you in an American election.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Paul thinks we should leave Kalimdor and let them sort out their own problems.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

lol
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Ron Paul thinks we should leave Kalimdor and let them sort out their own problems.

No, Ron Paul would have to be a night elf... isolationist bastards.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We are beyond Kalimdor at this point, everyone is in Outlands pursuing very aggressive foreign policy, with no end in sight. There are already plans to take the fight to Northrend.

Ron Paul would die instantly if he played WOW.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Paul would do well in Pre-searing Ascalon in Guild Wars.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.