FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I do NOT understand my friend's parents! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I do NOT understand my friend's parents!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, some financial aid (especially on the state level) is specifically targeted at students taking the route porce described. Which can mean that you qualify for substantially cheaper tuition even after transferring to a 4-year school.

(porce, you know about Transfer Entitlement CalGrants, right?)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything wrong with a chaperone either. My mom's friend "chaperoned" all of her daughter's spring breaks in Florida. They pretty much flew there together, rented homes in the same town, and if there was an emergency the adults were close, but not in the same house. It took the edge off for most parents because the adults could be there. This doesn't prevent all misbehavior that a parent might be worried about, but just knowing an adult could show up, does prevent some of it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend like that in high school, only more extreme. Her parents did not like me at all - I was a bad influence.

Me! They thought that I was a bad influence!!

My main problem with them was the huge disparity between the rules for the boys and rules for the girls.

As an example: The guys had no curfew from age 14 and didn't have to ask permission. My friend has a curfew of midnight until well into college and was not permitted to get any job where she'd be out after dark.

As a side note, they were her parents and she's the one who had to deal with them, and it turns out part of the reason they didn't like me was because if she ever did anything wrong while with me, she blamed it on me. Heck with that. We are not friends anymore.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up on breyer's suggestion, that reminds me that I actually chaperoned a few graduation parties for high school seniors. I was 21 or so, and I'd bring a few friends with me to the party (2 or 3 other guys).

We were the only 'adults' there, so the kids felt all growns up, but we stayed out of sight (for example, one year we basically took one room for ourselves and just played cards and hung out).

Our only purpose was so that if something happened (accident, injury, overdose) someone would be there to handle things.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
And JT, that seems reasonable. I'm fairly certain in this case the parents would perfer the 21 year old was a girl they knew, and that might not even be enough, but it is worth suggesting.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Tara, it sounds like you're describing me in your first post.

It's a tough world out there and as a parent I want to make sure my kids have all the help they need in making safe, smart choices. I love them. I don’t care if they’re 3 or 63.

Due to finals this week, my kids got out early today. My son was very quiet on the way home. I asked his sister to get out of the car when we got home, to give us a chance to talk. As soon as she shut the door, he broke into tears. I knew it was something horrible, he usually keeps his emotions so tightly pent up inside. A boy in his first period class died this weekend, he was only 16. . They've not yet released the cause of death; however, all the kids are convinced that he overdosed.

This is just one example of why I tend to be more on the safe (read strict if you wish) side when it comes to my children or any other children that are in my care.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
To follow up on breyer's suggestion, that reminds me that I actually chaperoned a few graduation parties for high school seniors. I was 21 or so, and I'd bring a few friends with me to the party (2 or 3 other guys).

We were the only 'adults' there....

Our only purpose was so that if something happened (accident, injury, overdose) someone would be there to handle things.

On the one hand it's good to have someone who can function in that capacity in case of emergencies. On the other hand, I'd be very, very leery of being that person, just because of the possible legal ramifications were something to happen that would involve the police.

[Edit--of course, I'm enough older now that I wouldn't be able to function in that role, and when I was young enough to do so the possible legal ramifications wouldn't have really made much of an impression on me.]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You hit it exactly with your edit.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a senior in HS, I was against sex, drinking, and drugs too. Of course, once I got into college with no supervision and ample opportunity to experience taboo things, my adamant beliefs started to slide a bit. I was by no means a "bad" kid, but temptation is a wonderful thing.

I can understand why parents wouldn't be happy with a week long, coed vacation. You only have to submit to temptation once during a week on your own and maybe somebody gets pregnant or arrested (or worse).

At the time, I'm sure I would have felt that the parents were WAY out of line. Now that I'm in my 30s, I think they might have a point.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Noemon probably has a point.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.