FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TSA: Protecting your air travel with moronic rules (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TSA: Protecting your air travel with moronic rules
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had trouble with knitting needles. Though I use wooden ones, so that might make a difference. I haven't had trouble with metal crochet hooks either.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
I didn't know knitting needles were ok. I don't think they should be.

It has varied at different times over the last couple years, and with different airlines, according to my mom. Plastic ones have usually been ok, though.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Knitting needles have been OK on all the airlines I've flown with since about a year after 9/11.

A few years back, I was knitting on a flight between England and Germany The man next to me expressed concern that knitting needles were allowed on the plane. I said something about how, I though the 200 or more passengers on the plane should be able to handle a terrorist armed only with knitting needles. He said "Well you could, you've got knitting needles".

I had to laugh. He was a big muscular guy and the idea that armed with knitting needles, I, a woman of ~115 lbs, made a more formidable opponent than he was simply ridiculous.

All these airline restrictions ignore the fact that the 9/11 tragedy wasn't the result of failures in security screening or the inherent danger of plastic knives and box cutters. Outdated policies on dealing with hijackers in the air were the real problem. A few men armed only with box cutters could never have taken over a plane without the rules which advised airlines to cooperate with hijackers. It was those guidelines more than any other factor which facilitated the 9/11 hijackings.

I've been in self defense classes where I was taught to use the heels of my shoes, my car keys and my fingers as weapons. Unless we are all willing to get on planes naked with our arms duct taped to our sides and then be cuffed into our seats, there is no way to keep people from having any weapons on planes.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
What Rabbit said.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said. The fact that the one plane whose passengers and crew did NOT go along with the hijackers did not reach its goal and crashed without loss of life other than that of those on the plane says a whole lot.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now we don't get to take wallets on planes.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a back brace, not a wallet.

They mentioned that LAX fails 75% of the time. That jives with what I've gone through-- LAX has never questioned me on ANYTHING, even things that other airports (like Tulsa) questioned (such as a package of baby wipes in my purse.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky you. I've had stuff confiscated at LAX.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.