FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DeBeers Class Action Lawsuit

Author Topic: DeBeers Class Action Lawsuit
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found out about this, and thought I'd pass the word along.

Apparently DeBeers recently lost a class action lawsuit for violating antitrust law, engaging in unfair business practices, and other similar nasty things. If you purchased a piece of diamond jewelry between 1994 & 2006, you could get a significant percentage of your money back. Here's the link: https://diamondsclassaction.com/Consumer.htm

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what happened before 1994 and what happened after 2006...
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The 1994 date probably has something to do with the statute of limitations for civil antitrust actions, which is four years, dating from the time damages would be ascertainable.

The 2006 date probably derives from when the effects of the price fixing worked their way out of the market. A federal action in 2004 put an end to their monopolistic practices (theoretically).

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves correctly, I bought two different pieces of diamond jewelry in those years.

I have no idea if I qualify, and I know for a fact I don't have the receipt or anything for one of those purchases. So I'd imagine it wouldn't matter. Besides, I got them both pretty decently on sale, so, it probably wouldn't be much back anyway.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I think somewhere in the FAQ it says that you don't need a receipt or any proof of purchase for pieces under $10,000, although you might need to show some sort of proof in the future (like a credit card bill).
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
So is this saying that if you bought a diamond anywhere in the US, between those dates, you can jump on the claim band wagon?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously?

'Cause I bought my wedding ring in 2003, and it has diamonds, but I paid cash and don't have a receipt.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Back then I paid with cash. But it's probably not worth it. I think I paid less than $250 for the piece I don't have any proof for, and I can't imagine I'd get that much back for it.

I could produce the jewelry itself, though that'd involve a very strange call to my ex girlfriend.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, sounds like one of us ought to call the "more questions" number.

But I really don't feel like it. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Yeah, I think so Tammy & KQ. I've heard that class action suits don't always get around to actually paying out the money, but I figure it's worth a few minutes of one's time. The worst that can happen is you never get the money, or they ask for proof & you can't show, resulting in not getting the money.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so all over this one. Thanks for posting the link.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Lyr, sounds like one of us ought to call the "more questions" number.

But I really don't feel like it. [Wink]

Think of all the Stargate that money could buy.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, but I spent $300 on my wedding ring (although it's been appraised for about $2200.)

Plus, you know, my phobia of calling people I don't know on the phone. I can barely even make my own doctor's appointments or call when something's wrong and I've been going the same place for more than 2 years. I usually get my husband to call if he can.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, I have a mild phobia of doing the same thing. I don't even like ordering a pizza.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Dag: Thanks, I quickly scrolled through the link but didn't see anything popping out at me. (I admit my legalese parser is below standards)

How does the 1994 date work with that four year limit? Does that mean people proved price fixing from 1990 onwards but four years are added from that date onwards...?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Yeah, I have a mild phobia of doing the same thing. I don't even like ordering a pizza.

I don't mind doing that, 'cause I do it online!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it means that they have to have filed suit within four years of when the damages were ascertainable.

Because the suit was filed in 2004, I assume that the settlement is based on the assumption that damages from 1994 became ascertainable in 2000.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

I don't mind doing that, 'cause I do it online!
Ah, cheater! I remember when I first saw that happen in "The Net" starring Sandra Bullock, I thought that was amazing but it'd never happen in real life. Lo and behold now it's a real thing! There's only one, maybe two places around here that do that, but none of them deliver to my house, they are too far away. Stupid California.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, you know, my phobia of calling people I don't know on the phone. I can barely even make my own doctor's appointments or call when something's wrong and I've been going the same place for more than 2 years. I usually get my husband to call if he can.

KQ: There has been more than one time that you have said something that sounded like my wife, but never more than just now. [Eek!]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I do believe I need to meet your wife. [Big Grin]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you give her a call?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, how 'bout an e-mail?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I bought 3 pairs of diamond earrings, a diamond ring, and a single diamond earring in that time period. All are relatively small/inexpensive, and I don't have receipts for any of them. But I have all of the jewelry except the single earring, which was a gift. Hmmm.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: (self indulgent stuff) I don't care about the money I could get back from this, but I am glad DeBeers lost this suit, they are a terrible organization that causes more suffering then they could ever make amends for.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Why don't you give her a call?

[ROFL]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*glares and brandishes the Ketchup of Righteousness at Morbo*
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice or I will have Theresa Heinz call you. Imagine your shame.....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't mind people calling me. Only calling other people. [Razz]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*is special*
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

I can't help but be happy when those slave driving, demand creating, supply controlling snakes get what's coming to them.

The act of giving a diamond to represent your everlasting love. Irony used in it's correct context.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I am like that, too. I am always sure I am going to interupt someone in the middle of something important and they will be annoyed. I have to make a lot of phone calls at work, so I have overcome it (somewhat). I remind myself that if they shouldn't be answering the phone, they wouldn't be. They would have someone or voice mail answer it for them.

Calling the deBeers people would be good practice. They have people whose whole job it is to answer the phone. And they deserve to be annoyed.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my wife's engagement ring with cash in a Wendy's parking lot right before I jumped on a plane to leave the state. I wonder if I qualify for anything.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Calling the deBeers people would be good practice. They have people whose whole job it is to answer the phone. And they deserve to be annoyed.

Why do you think that people who paid to answer phones by deBeers deserve to be annoyed? They are most likely among the lowest paid deBeers employees and had nothing to do with the price fixing.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Just filed a claim.

This is the second time I've entered one of these online class-action claims. The first time was a couple of years ago against a group of Record Producers for artificially inflating the price of CDs. I think I got $10 out of that.

From the information shown as I filed my claim, it seems like anyone who spent more than $90 on any diamond jewelry, or more than $160 on any mixed gem jewelry and did not resell it is eligible for compensation, regardless of whether they purchased it in a Wendy's parking lot or not. I think they warn those numbers are approximate, since they need to gauge how many actual submissions are made. The claim statement did indicate that the maximum allowable payout for those filing consumer subclass claims was (IIRC) $640; so, even if you bought a J-Lo style $6 million ring, the most you would get back would be $640. They estimated that anyone who purchased diamond jewelry with price in excess of (again, IIRC) $2800 would receive the maximum allowable payout. The minimum allowable payout is $10. If whatever formula they're using determines you should get back less than $10, they will not send you a check (not worth the administrative cost).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Rabbit, the people who answer the phones are being paid to answer these complaints. It is an annoyance for the company; it is a paycheck for the people that the company has to hire to answer phones.

Damn vague pronouns.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
kq, I am like that, too. I am always sure I am going to interupt someone in the middle of something important and they will be annoyed. I have to make a lot of phone calls at work, so I have overcome it (somewhat). I remind myself that if they shouldn't be answering the phone, they wouldn't be. They would have someone or voice mail answer it for them.

Totally not what it's about for me.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Ah...well. No help then.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.