FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Online Dice Gen???

Author Topic: Online Dice Gen???
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
k, say there's 5 of us, at a different computer in different locations. We want to play D&D but travel is sometimes difficult and not all of us have webcams and even then webcams have cruddy resolution so the number rolled isnt clear.

Is there a program out there that people can log onto, 1 rolls a dice and everyone else sees the result?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It should be trivial to right a web application for this. Just have everyone log on, then auto-update the page with the results whenever a logged in person rolls, identifying the roller by name.

It would be only a little extra work to have the DM authorize particular rolls.

It'd be a good chance to learn AJAX development.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Alternatively, if you're lazy you could all login to either Yahoo Games or Microsoft's version and play something like backgammon, using just the dice rolls.
That would only work for rolls with normal dice though.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*write [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There is indeed an online dice generator I use regularly when I PBEM. Try googling, per Porter's suggestion. It's not necessary to write your own app.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I used Invisible Castle when I was doing a play by post game. But, for a live game you may want to look for a virtual table top.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're playing by email or by post on a forum, this won't help. But if you're playing over the internet using a real-time chat application, AIM chatrooms have a dice function.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

does it do d4,d6,d8,d10,d20,d30,d100?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you go find out for yourself instead of expecting others to do all your legwork?

Here you go.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out www.irony.com's web dice.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

because asking on a forum is considerably more conveient then rummaging through dozens of webpages for the specific thing one wants, I could say "online dice roller" but specifying "rolls in real time and viewable by Nth party" confuses the search and returns ambigious results, thus asking on a forum in specific detail of what I want is faster and more convenient then googling because a forum community is much more likely to have wanted or found something similar to what I want and contributes to the community database sotospeak. While random googling only helps one person at great expense compared to a topic that helps anyone else who is interested and opens avenues of discussion.

The condenscending www.justf***inggoogleit.com remarks are completely counter productive and not what a forum community is for.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
we used aim chatrooms and had it roll for us.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
The condenscending www.justf***inggoogleit.com remarks are completely counter productive and not what a forum community is for.
So when are you going to start answering questions, Blayne? Because so far you just ask them, and act offended when we note that it would be easy for you to find the answers yourself.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

what do you mean answering questions? If you mean participating in threads where other people ask for help? I have done so, most recent was helping AoD with picking out computer parts.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You're on the other side of that ratio, though, you realize.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Sorry Blayne, I was at work and unable to answer until now.

The way you do it in AIM (only works in chat rooms, not in personal messaging) is you type //roll-diceX-sidesY

Where X is how many dice and Y is how many sides on those dice. So, let's say you're a fifth level wizard casting fireball. You'd type:

//roll-dice5-sides6

It gives you each individual roll listed in a row, you have to add them up yourself.

Edited for minor changes in phrasing

[ January 19, 2008, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Dan_Frank ]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I don't think the issue is that you ask for help, it's that you come off as too lazy to look for yourself. I answered a question for you that took me all of about 30 seconds to look up. I think it took me longer to type my response, than find the information you were looking for.

Yes, Hatrack is about helping everyone out. But it's not about doing the work for that person. Just like we expect people to do their own homework and not ask us to do it for them, we expect people to look on their own before begging us to look for them

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I'm new 'n all, but it seems like a second issue is that even though they think it's silly, people still answer.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. We're partially to blame for Blayne's total lack of self-sufficiency because every time he drags his unbelievably lazy rear-end in here with some trivial question he wants answered, someone always answers it for him.

I can't wait for the next generation of internet to take off so that we can all take turns tying his shoes in the morning.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's said before that he's got velcro straps, so he should probably be okay.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've stopped tying my shoes long ago, i tied them once and by virtue of having a shoe size 1 size bigger I never have to tie or untie them again.
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
www.rpol.net
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I've stopped tying my shoes long ago, i tied them once and by virtue of having a shoe size 1 size bigger I never have to tie or untie them again.

Thank you for proving our point so thoroughly.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Sorry Blayne, I was at work and unable to answer until now.

The way you do it in AIM (only works in chat rooms, not in personal messaging) is you type //roll-diceX-sidesY

Where X is how many dice and Y is how many sides on those dice. So, let's say you're a fifth level wizard casting fireball. You'd type:

//roll-dice5-sides6

It gives you each individual roll listed in a row, you have to add them up yourself.

Edited for minor changes in phrasing

k how do I open up a chatroom?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Peace!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
seriously?

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Edited to remove snark.>
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I go to invite someone to buddy chat, and it times out. What am I doing wrong?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Rolling on line lacks the simple joy of picking up a big wad of D8s for your Horrid Wilting...

Plus you can't throw it across the room when 5 of those dice end up being 1s and all of them are 3 or less.

Pix

(I rolled ones on 8 out of my first 9 damage rolls three weeks ago.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

make sense you don't.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
She is saying, I think, that on line playing lacks the tactile feel of throwing a handful of dice to figure damage. There is nothing like the feeling of throwing 10D6 to see how your fireball did.

A friend of mine had a run of bad die rolls. She took one placed it in the micro wave and then set up all the other dice in front of the micro wave so that they could watch the bad die get nuked.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
msquared: My dice wish you hadn't told me that.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

the thing is is if i do my campaign online via IM, AIM is supposedly the only one that allows for random dice throwing in a non cheating enviroment.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
She is saying, I think, that on line playing lacks the tactile feel of throwing a handful of dice to figure damage. There is nothing like the feeling of throwing 10D6 to see how your fireball did.

A friend of mine had a run of bad die rolls. She took one placed it in the micro wave and then set up all the other dice in front of the micro wave so that they could watch the bad die get nuked.

msquared

I think this is taking anthromorphism a bit to far....but then, I'm not a gamer, so what do I know?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
much as I am loathe to encourage Blayne here, in the interest of helping out anyone else in a similar situation (trying to play D&D or the like over the interweb with friends) my friends and I have been using http://www.openrpg.com/ to good effect... the bare-bones set up allows you to do most everything you need to do for gaming while there are lots of additional plugins and scripts that you can find in order to flesh the program out and make things more convenient.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

I highly recommend these, I wear them 95% of the time. I hate laces.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Blayne your problem would be solved by only playing with decent human beings. That way, they could simply roll the dice and report their results... I've lived the last 4 years away from all my gaming buddies, and we play online every week, and this is what we do. You can still enjoy the feel of all the dice you like. [Big Grin]

But, if decent human beings are not available, then yeah, use AIM or something.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.