FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sore throat remedies?

Author Topic: Sore throat remedies?
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's the story: My on campus apartment was up for inspection, as well as several others. There was a competition for free pizza and pop if we (Me and five others) were the cleanest apartment. We spent all Monday afternoon cleaning and sweeping, and dusting, and mopping, and washing dishes, and pretty much everything else you do to clean. Somewhere in the process, My roommate decided our room didn't smell nice enough so he emptied somewhere around the equivalent of three (no, that's not an exaggeration) aerosol cans of air freshener. It sent me into a coughing fit, and almost made me gag. Later that night, I realized I had a sore throat. It's now 48 hours later, and no sign of my throat getting any better. It's at a point where I start to gag and feel sick if I lay down and put any pressure on the underside of my chin.

So do any of you have any suggestions? I'm 99% sure this isn't because of a cold. This is MUCH worse than any sore throat I've ever had before.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
See a doctor.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot water, lemon juice, and honey was always my family's throat soother. A little bit of apricot brandy added to the mix is nice, too (ignore that if you're below the drinking age.)

If you're having some kind of allergic reaction, is it possible to sleep elsewhere for a couple of days?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
Gargle a cup or two of salt water 2-3 times a day. Taking any type of pain killer--Tylenol, Advil, Aleve--will help ease the pain. Since it has been more than two days and is MUCH worse than any other one you've had, it may be something other than a mere sore throat, in which case you should follow Fusiachi's advice.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
Running a humidifier, particularly while you're sleeping, will help keep your nasal passages and throat lubricated and clear out irritants. If everything up in there gets too dry, any kind of irritation will be magnified in addition to the possibility of infection from sticky mucus that can't move. If you don't have a humidifier, try warm showers, holding your face over hot water, hot soup, or hot tea. I think one of the reasons people recommend chicken soup for a sore throat is because all that steam is really soothing to your breathing system. Along these lines as well is to drink lots of (tepid) water, but that's a given.

I imagine it's probably pretty cold where you're at, or I'd say open the windows and air out your living space.

quote:
It's at a point where I start to gag and feel sick if I lay down and put any pressure on the underside of my chin.
This makes me think you should at least call your doctor.

BTW, did you win?

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DeathofBees:
This makes me think you should at least call your doctor.

BTW, did you win?

If it keeps going much longer, I will go see a doctor. I'm actually going to be home over the weekend so maybe I'll go see her then.

as for your question, I got this email this morning:
quote:
Your apartment hands down was the cleanest during room checks
So yes. [Big Grin] [Party]

And thank you for all your answers. I've tried the Honey, Lemon juice, hot water thing and it really seemed to help. I'll try the other ones too.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-inflammatories are usually the best for sore throats since the pain is usually caused by a swelling pinching the nerves. Stuff with NSAIDS like Advil (which can either be Asprin or Ibuprofen) or Motrin which is usually Ibuprofen. Tylenol isn't anti-inflammatory (acetaminophen) but it does help with pain and fever. [Smile]

Hope you feel better soon! And yeah, see a doctor for sure if you're not seeing improvement.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a rotten cold all week, and my throat hurts a lot, too. I've been taking Tylenol, NSAIDS, Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat Tea, soup, and wine, with mild amelioration.

Maybe I ought to see a doctor, too, and get that extra-long-Q-tip-down-the-throat test.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Jolly Ranchers. Works great.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.