FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Song by Loudoun Wainwright III

Author Topic: Song by Loudoun Wainwright III
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here listen to Loudoun Wainwright III? I never heard of him until I watched KNOCKED UP (which I thought was a great movie by the way - perhaps because I like crude, immature humor).

A couple of songs on the soundtrack were truly fantastic - especially, "Grey in L.A." If you are interested, you can check out a snippet of the song at cduniverse.com. Amazing.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

Ok. So maybe someone here liked other music from the KNOCKED UP soundtrack?

Or perhaps any songs by any musician with Loudoun in his or her name?

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I like his kid's music - Rufus and Martha Wainwright both play. Loudoun isn't my favorite but I'm pretty sure I've heard a song or two of his that I liked.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

I didn't know he did kid's music - I'll have to check it out.

For anyone interested in watching a performance of GRAY IN LA, go to this link on Loudoun Wainwright III's website. I also highly recommend his song, DAUGHTER, which can be viewed at the same link.

Am I crazy, or is this good stuff?

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think ladyday meant his kids' music as in the music of his progeny, Rufus and Martha Wainwright.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
LW III is FANTASTIC, he can really make a great song. I think the first one I heard was Red Guitar.

I've been meaning to see Knocked Up, I loved 40 Year Old Virgin. Guess I have more to look forward to now!

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather partial to Hard Day On The Planet, Dreaming, and Career Moves, but I've heard only a small fraction of his work. They're certainly a family of interesting lyricists. I think I appreciate them for that more than anything. I listen to virtually no folksy stuff on a regular basis. I have to be in the mood.

Rufus played locally last summer and that was an outstanding show. A Fine Frenzy and Sean Lennon both opened for him; also stellar. Rufus and Sean did a duet of Across the Universe towards the end, which was downright magical.

I just listened to Gray In LA. Quite lovely. Not that I'm an expert, but I'd say that it's definitely good stuff.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of Art Garfunckle.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

quote:
I think ladyday meant his kids' music as in the music of his progeny, Rufus and Martha Wainwright.
Porce is correct. Oh, the dangers of miscommunication when one misplaces an apostrophe.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Daughter and Grey in L.A.

I had never heard of him before this thread, though.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
quote:
Porce is correct. Oh, the dangers of miscommunication when one misplaces an apostrophe.
Actually, I knew what ladyday meant. I was just trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny. A bit too dry, I suppose.
David G
Member # 8872

And this must be hugely ironic, but the advertisement at the bottom of this page right now is for a Rufus Wainwright tour.
ladyday
Member # 1069

One of these days I'm going to assume you're kidding. I can see the backfire from here O_o.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.