FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dreamweaver and Google Search (A cry for help)

Author Topic: Dreamweaver and Google Search (A cry for help)
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hatrack!

I made a webpage for my father's company Century Roofing. I know it's simplistic, I plan on adding to it as I learn the program Dreamweaver, but I've come across a problem I can't figure out.

I can't get the website (www.thecenturyroofing.com) to be found on search engines. This is a big problem, because, well what's the point of a website if people can't find it? I know lots of people who aren't very computer or even internet savvy who when looking for a webpage will use google to look for it, even if they have the URL.

I've added meta-tags with keywords, but I guess it's not working?

if I type in "thecenturyroofing" in google, it will come up, but only then. I really would like the keywords "Century, Roofing, Coatings, Southern California, Roof Maintenance, Repair" to point to the website when people are looking for a roofing company.

Am I doing something wrong here?

PS- If anybody wants to critique the site, please feel free [Smile]

[ January 25, 2008, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Sm34rZ ]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Posting here will get it added to search engines soon. A article on the subject.

There are many more out there. Basically, you want to use the keywords in your title and get links pointing to your website. It's a heck of a lot more complicated than that at the same time as it isn't.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Posting here will get it added to search engines soon. A article on the subject.

There are many more out there. Basically, you want to use the keywords in your title and get links pointing to your website. It's a heck of a lot more complicated than that at the same time as it isn't.

How will posting it here get me more hits? Oh, wait.

OK, but I want the webpage to be found through the website, not hits on this board.

There's lots of content on the website, how come google wont pick it up?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Because google finds websites by following links. For your website to be found, there has to be a link to it - and google has to find that link.

It works via an automated bot.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
google uses a fantastically complicated equation when determining how to order search engine results including content and keywords and tags and lots of other stuff, but probably most important is links coming in to your site from other sites. That's why posting that link in this thread will help it a bit.

But it's completely unrealistic to put up a new site and expect it to show up high in the search results right away. It takes a bit for it to get crawled anyway. I'd suggest submitting the site to as many free directories as you can find, which will help, though links from sites related to your site topic would help more. Try looking for specialty directories.

Your site looks pretty nice btw.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
a couple other little things. I'd suggest putting a sitemap on your site since your navigation is all done through an image. Another thing you can do is submit sitemaps to google and yahoo. It's a bit complicated. I'd go to the sites and look for their tutorials on submitting site maps to them.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
click.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.