FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints calls Monson, Uchtdorf (p. 2) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints calls Monson, Uchtdorf (p. 2)
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't know what to think of Pres. Monson as the president of the Church. He has always been great as a support to others (be they widows or Prophets), but seems very meek for a hard-boiled world. I know that each Prophet has changed in character once they have the mantle. Still, you could always tell what direction they would take the LDS Church by previous talks and experience. Perhaps Monson will seek to increase our awareness of the less fortunate. Hardly a bad direction to take.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warmaker
Member # 11467

- posted      Profile for Warmaker   Email Warmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I was already writing when I heard of his death, so I stopped and wrote this:

Mortal like me but so much more, I only imagine the celestial glory he has in store
Taken home by divine invitation, the star of a people, the rock of a nation.
A man whom sinners deny and saints dearly love, a century old now in Heaven above.
Gods flagbearer, a holy crusader, President Hinckley our prophet, seer, and revelator.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...but seems very meek for a hard-boiled world.
It is possible to be meek and yet also be a strong leader.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite talk on meekness.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just don't know what to think of Pres. Monson as the president of the Church. He has always been great as a support to others (be they widows or Prophets), but seems very meek for a hard-boiled world.
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
...seems very meek for a hard-boiled world.

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
--Matthew 10:16

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn Beck tribute to Pres. Hinckley
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I just don't know what to think of Pres. Monson as the president of the Church. He has always been great as a support to others (be they widows or Prophets), but seems very meek for a hard-boiled world. I know that each Prophet has changed in character once they have the mantle. Still, you could always tell what direction they would take the LDS Church by previous talks and experience. Perhaps Monson will seek to increase our awareness of the less fortunate. Hardly a bad direction to take.

Occasional, I used to think something similar, I guess, then several years ago he came to speak at a regional conference in my area. His talk was very different from those I'd heard from him in General Conference, and any misgivings I may have had were allayed. He may talk on sweet, gentle themes in conference, but he's a tough guy who gets things done. He was completely bold and unafraid in all his work behind the Iron Curtain that led up to the temple in East Germany. You might want to find his book Faith Rewarded to read his account of those events.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong. I thought of those scriptures when I wrote my thoughts. God is in charge no matter who leads, but that still leaves my current lack of imagination.

Oh, and something like this is hardly surprising, but the political irony is fascinating. Wonder if there will be any impact at all as they have been discredited.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think many people are starting to see it as a positive thing when Fred Phelps decides to protest at your funeral.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they were too cheap to fly to Greece and protest their religious leader's funeral?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Why irony? Isn't this the kind of thing you would expect them to protest?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I think that the political irony lies in the fact that people who criticize Phelps have also criticized the LDS church for their stand on homosexuality and gay marriage.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
When Phelps called Falwell a friend of homosexuality he lost any shread of knowing what he is talking about in my mind.

If you read biographies on him, it's very interesting to see how early in his career as a lawyer he took on Jim Crow laws in the state of Kansas and was frequently called a, "N***** Lover" by opponents for it.

It's hard for me to see how he transitioned into who he is today. I would be very much interested in reading a well done biography on him or even an autobiography when Phelps dies.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I would be very much interested in reading a well done biography on him or even an autobiography when Phelps dies.

Are you expecting him to write an autobiography from beyond the grave or has he written one he's keeping under wraps until his death?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want to wait until he dies?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate reading biographies when the subject is still living, it just seems wrong to my mind. Almost like you can't really write one until he/she is done living their story.

It would not surprise me if Phelps writes a book once people stop paying attention to his picketing.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this will be on 60 Minutes tonight. President Hinckley's interview might be the second segment-- not sure.

quote:
60 Minutes (New)
February 3 8:00 PM EST
--a replay of an interview with President Gordon Hinckley, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who died Jan. 27, 2008.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thomas S. Monson announced as new president of LDS church

quote:
Monson named as his two top advisers First Counselor Henry B. Eyring, 74, and Second Counselor Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

Eyring previously served as Hinckley’s second counselor.

Uchtdorf and Monson have known each other since the 1980s. He was a regional church leader in Germany when Monson was working as an envoy to nations behind the Iron Curtain and dedicated a Mormon temple in Freiberg, then part of East Germany.

Official news release
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Very interesting news. Now there is a vacancy in The Twelve to fill.

Monson and Uchtdorf are both big guys, I hope they don't squish Eyring, I rather like him. [Wink]

pooka
Member # 5003

That Uchtdorf will be in the first presidency is very exciting news. Monson's calling was pretty well assumed.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I believe that Uchtdorf is the person to be called as a Apostle since pioneer times who didn't have Mormon pioneer ancestors. I'd have to double check that to be sure. He is unquestionably the only apostle in my lifetime who wasn't born in the US.
pooka
Member # 5003

A new apostle will likely be called April 5, at General Conference.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I believe that Uchtdorf is the person to be called as a Apostle since pioneer times who didn't have Mormon pioneer ancestors.
Evidently I'm wrong. John A. Widsoe was the last person called to the quorum of the 12 who was born outside the US. He and his mother emigrated from Sweden in the 1880's after the transcontinental railroad. So he doesn't qualify as a Mormon pioneer.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Grandpa should have lived to see this day. He always said that the Apostles were all Englishmen. Danes and Swedes could be Seventies. But, that was as far as the Church would trust them. He always thought that Elder Widsoe was kind of an accident. He married into the Young Family. Now we have a Swede for a President.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Each time there's a slot open for a new apostle, I wonder if he'll be Latino.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering the same thing, PH.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

I know that a Latino would be a good choice. I also know who I would want is not my choice. However, if I was to pick then I would want either Kakuchi(sp) or Didie(sp) to be picked. I have been impressed with both of them each time they spoke.
pooka
Member # 5003

Didier and Kikuchi. But I was able to tell who you meant. [Smile]

There was a strong sense that Eyring "studied out in his mind" the selection of Elder Cook. I mean, they can't call someone they've never met, or rather, they could but it seems unlikely. I think the "studying it out in your mind" is an important part of this process. So I wonder if President Uchtdorf's impressions will be given additional weight in this process. It will be interesting to see.

I'm not holding my breath for a Latino Elder again, though. It made me kind of upset last time.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I'm not holding my breath for a Latino Elder again, though. It made me kind of upset last time.
Why?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:

There was a strong sense that Eyring "studied out in his mind" the selection of Elder Cook.
I mean, they can't call someone they've never met, or rather, they could but it seems unlikely.

You mean you had a strong sense or this was speculation discussed somewhere?

Who had never met Elder Cook? I'm confused.

quote:

I think the "studying it out in your mind" is an important part of this process. So I wonder if President Uchtdorf's impressions will be given additional weight in this process. It will be interesting to see.

But how will we know what process they use to reach their decisions and whose opinions/impressions are given what weight? It's not like they tell us how they arrive at their decisions.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh wait, now I'm wondering if you're saying that Pres. Eyring had a close association w/ Elder Cook and therefore it was probably his suggestion that he be called?

And by extension, that we may be able to extrapolate from Pres. Uchtdorf's experience and associations what he is contributing to the process?

If that's it, still pure speculation, but an interesting exercise.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
How to Bury a Prophet

http://marty-center.uchicago.edu/sightings/archive_2008/0207.shtml

quote:
Hinckley's sons and daughters with their spouses led the casket out of the hall and between an honor guard of church authorities. Cameras followed the mourners, focusing on his five children, twenty-five grandchildren and sixty-two great-grandchildren who formed the cortege to the cemetery. There, possibly most surprisingly, the eldest son dedicated the grave without fanfare. Notwithstanding the presence of the entire church hierarchy, the son stepped forward to pronounce: "By the authority of the Melchizedek priesthood, I dedicate this grave for the remains of Gordon B. Hinckley, until such time as thou shall call him forth." Then, church leaders were "dismissed," as Monson put it. As the church teaches is the case in the afterlife, only the family remained.

Families are, as Latter-day Saints like to say, forever. What they don't say is that the church is not forever. It is only the instrument for endowing families with the right and duty to mediate the gifts of the gospel to their members, thereby sealing the willing among them as families in the life to come. This was Hinckley's message as a prophet. As he would have it and as the best Mormon funerals do, his message was embodied and enacted by his family who blessed him in death, no less than in life. This is how the Latter-day Saints, at least, bury a prophet.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I thought it was nice that his daughters gave the family prayer before the funeral and both if the prayers of the actual funeral. I hope his sons didn't feel slighted.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
On a lighter note, I read the title :"Topic: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints calls Monson, Uchtdorf (p. 2)" and then I read Pooka's first post: " [Frown] ."

I thought, "Man Pooka really doesn't like Monson!" It took me a minute to realize this must be a morphed thread that started off about Hinckley.

I liked Hinckly. He was a good man who did good things. It will be interesting to see what direction Monson takes the church.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Gosh I think it will be interesting to continue to see what direction GOD takes the church in now that he has a mouthpiece again.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gosh I think it will be interesting to continue to see what direction GOD takes the church in now that he has a mouthpiece again.

That rubs me the wrong way.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The prophet is not just a drone operating by spiritual remote control. Each has brought a certain character to the church during their leadership and each has had different areas of emphasis/focus.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Matt.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I somewhat agree with the idea Blackblade was trying to say, but the delivery was a bit off. Also Monson specifically said he did not anticipate any big shifts in direction in his first news conference.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:

The prophet is not just a drone operating by spiritual remote control. Each has brought a certain character to the church during their leadership and each has had different areas of emphasis/focus.
Yes, just as a different mouth piece adds a certain nuance to the tone or a different size reed will give an instrument a distinct voice, a different prophet will will bring his own characteristics to the tune. But overall the instrument remains the same, and the player still plays it.

Of course I believe that there are many things in the church that need doing and often God is content to just let the prophet decide prayerfully where he will employ his efforts.

I just detected a bit too much, "I wonder what direction the prophet is taking the church" tone. I understand that we talk about Moses leading the children of Israel out of Egypt, Brigham Young leading the establishment of the church in the West. But any prophet will tell you it's "God's work" not theirs, and that He directs it.

edit: Also I am alittle sorry that my initial comment was a bit snarky.

[ February 08, 2008, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
When the reporters asked Monson and Co what their plans were after the press conference, I REALLY wanted him to say, "Lunch."

Instead, I think he said something along the lines of, "We'll keep moving this work forward, with God's good grace."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have given my left arm for him to respond, "Broadway."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

That's quite a sacrifice for a one word joke.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a very good arm.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Don't you need it to play the barrel house blues?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
When the reporters asked Monson and Co what their plans were after the press conference, I REALLY wanted him to say, "Lunch."

TBH I could hear the late President Hinckley saying this very thing. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Don't you need it to play the barrel house blues?
I bet they'd be even blusier without it.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that "bluesier" or "blousier"? [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Possibly both, depending on where the arm is hypothetically severed.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.