FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Brother, Daughter of JFK Confer Mantle of JFK on Obama (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Brother, Daughter of JFK Confer Mantle of JFK on Obama
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, in a very emotional public event before a boisterous crowd at American University in Washington, D.C., Senator Edward (Ted) Kennedy, brother of slain former president John F. Kennedy, conferred the mantle of JFK on Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama. Caroline Kennedy, daughter of JFK, also addressed the crowd and gave Obama her endorsement. The senator's son, Congressman Pat Kennedy, also was present to give his endorsement to Obama as well. This is no ordinary endorsement; the Kennedys still have enormous weight with voters in New England, and are believed to have considerable influence with Hispanic voters, as well, who have come to regard Sen. Kennedy as their champion. Sen. Kennedy's speech was the most animated and enthusiastic he has given in a long time, continually evoking the Democratic icons of John and Robert Kennedy, and applying them unabashedly to Obama.

For many years now, the Kennedy wing and the Clinton Wing have vied for control of the Democratic Party. With this endorsement of Obama against Sen. Hillary Clinton, the conflict has become virtual open war.

From some of Sen. Kennedy's remarks, it is evident he was outraged and disgusted at the recent race-baiting statements of Bill Clinton, in what appears to be a repeat of his tactic when he ran against Jesse Jackson in his own run for president, when he made statements that polarized African-American voters and got them to award the SC primary to Jackson, so that a white backlash would result around the rest of the country that gave the nomination to Bill. This time around, however, it is less likely the tactic will succeed, since Sen. Obama has a wider appeal than Jackson did, and people like Sen. Kennedy are clearly "on" to Bill and are publicly speaking out.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much.

quote:
Kennedy praised Sen. Hillary Clinton and former Sen. John Edwards, saying Edwards "has been a powerful advocate for economic and social justice. And Hillary Clinton has been in the forefront on issues ranging from health care to the rights of women around the world.
The democratic primary race has been remarkably clean as far as I can tell. At least in comparison to the GOP.

Open war? Not really.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Open war? Hardly. The GOP side is closer to open war than the Democratic side.

The whole thing has been incredibly overblown by the media. Every time they say someone "lashed out" or "attacked" another candidate, they make it look far worse than it really is. If you really look at what they are saying, it's really not that heated at all. The media are being sensationalist to a wreckless degree.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that. I'm getting tired of every single remark being turned into a feeding frenzy.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart has a pretty good commentary on how the media is inflating things: http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Stewart_slams_media_for_provoking_campaign_0125.html
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
the Kennedys still have enormous weight with voters in New England,

Ha! That works on multiple levels [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted Kennedy's endorsement does not make me more likely to vote for Obama.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
DEMOCRATS IN OPEN WAR

KENNEDY COMPOUND LIKE "LORD OF THE FLIES"

PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA RULES FROM THRONE OF SEPULCHER AND BONE OVER PIT OF SACRIFICE TO DREAD YUM CIMIL

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Where will we put our green zone in the Democratic Candidate War of 2008?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
H. Clinton has been stumping on behalf of adoption and foster care for ten years. I'm still a little bit shocked she hasn't played that up. It's the truth.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

MattP -

Ironically, the media finally got it right when they said "Stewart slams media." What he did was an actual slam I'd say. The rather civil talk of the candidates is not a "slam."

Icarus -

I don't think Obama was really hoping that Kennedy would get him YOUR vote. Voters in Massachusetts are what he's likely aiming for, and the voters in any state the senator in question actually represents are the people they are hoping for. Senators rarely have cross state appeal. Besides, what they REALLY want, beyond the superdelegate vote, is the machinery that senator has in the state. They want the phone banks and volunteers and such. If it did work, you'd just be a bonus.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The media did not manufacture anything. If you have not caught what Bill Clinton has been saying, and recognized for yourself the same tactic he used against Jesse Jackson when he was running for president, then you simply are not politically astute. Politics must be very boring for you, if you have no depth perception.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no need to get personal.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I didn't say they are making anything up, they are just being melodramatic. It's the image they create. They make it sound like the candidates are frothing at the mouth and dueling with pistols. It's not nearly so animated. They ARE taking swipes at each other, but it's mostly under the breath one liners, or even straight up one liners, but they aren't the diatribes that the media are reporting.

I know a sensationalist report is a lot more dramatic and people probably tune in more, but it's not true, and it actually changes our national political process, which makes it irresponsible.

Edit to add:

The type of sensationalism they have been doing would be like me saying that when you call me "not politically astute," it'd be like me reporting that as "Ron wildly attacks Lyrhawn with personal swipe."

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

OK, let me put it this way. If you are politically astute enough to see what is going on beneath the surface appearances, politics can be really fascinating.

Just to be clear, I am not a supporter of Sen. Obama. I voted for Sen. John McCain in the primary in Michigan. I just had to comment on the significant endorsement Obama received today, and point out the implications of the negative comments Sen. Kennedy made about the way certain people are campaigning, along with the political context. Bill Clinton has used this tactic before. He got away with it then, because he was subtle about it, and it was not clear what he was about until it had happened. Not so now, and Bill Clinton is angry at the media only because they spotted him using the same tactic again and called him on it.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The real Kennedy connection.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wow. I had no idea.

Great link riv.

rivka
Member # 4859

Blame my dad, who told me about the story. Google did the rest. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The media did not manufacture anything. If you have not caught what Bill Clinton has been saying, and recognized for yourself the same tactic he used against Jesse Jackson when he was running for president, then you simply are not politically astute. Politics must be very boring for you, if you have no depth perception.

Ron, Jesse Jackson and Bill Clinton have never run for president the same year. Jackson ran in 1984 and 1988.

So I have no idea what tactic of Clinton's you're referring to.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The type of sensationalism they have been doing would be like me saying that when you call me "not politically astute," it'd be like me reporting that as "Ron wildly attacks Lyrhawn with personal swipe."
RON AND LYRHAWN ENGAGED IN APOCALYPTIC SUPER SAIYIN CONFLICT OF CENTURY

LYRHAWN ASKS PEOPLE OF EARTH TO GIVE ENERGY TO SPIRIT BALL TO FINISH FIGHT

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol, I don't see CNN devolving to Dragon Ball Z references.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The democratic primary race has been remarkably clean as far as I can tell. At least in comparison to the GOP.

quote:
Open war? Hardly. The GOP side is closer to open war than the Democratic side.

quote:
The whole thing has been incredibly overblown by the media. Every time they say someone "lashed out" or "attacked" another candidate, they make it look far worse than it really is. If you really look at what they are saying, it's really not that heated at all. The media are being sensationalist to a wreckless degree.
Unless of course you are talking about Republicans in which case there is no limit to the war they are raging against each other. Or were those first two quotes sensationalist to a wreckless degree?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably "wreckful." [Smile] ("reckless")

---

Samprimary, you made my lungs bleed.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
THAT'S MY SCHOOL!!!!

Sadly, I wasn't there to see the speech, but a bunch of my friends did, and they said it was amazing. I wish I could have been there, but apparently the line to see him was enormous. People got up at 6 am, just to see him speak.

As for the Kennedy's endorsing him, it will certainly help, rather than hinder. The Kennedy's have a kind of legendary status in my state (Massachusetts) and they are still one of the leading families in the state. I know my brother, for one, has a intense love of all things Kennedy. I don't know how many people it will help sway, but it certainly can't help.

Rivka, I love that link. I never knew about it, and I think that's an amazing story that should be told. But I can completely understand why Obama doesn't really want to flaunt it. To me that just seems a little bit personal.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Link rivka.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Today, in a very emotional public event before a boisterous crowd at American University in Washington, D.C., Senator Edward (Ted) Kennedy, brother of slain former president John F. Kennedy, conferred the mantle of JFK on Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.
Evidently they forgot the part of the ceremony where the previous owner of the mantle ascends to heaven in a chariot of fire.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the gist of rivka's link? It's blocked from my work, unfortunately.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kennedy was appealed to by an "airlift" scholar exchange program, and funded the travel of Barack Obama's father to the United States. There he married Obama's mother. He left the family when Obama was 2 to go to Harvard, which is kind of sad. I suppose I should read one of Obama's books in more detail because it's very interesting to me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

gist of rivka's link:

In the late 1950s, Mboya, a labor leader in Kenya was trying to establish a scholarship program to bring Kenyans to study at US Universities. When negotiations broke down with the state department, he contacted then senator Kennedy who was head of the Senate committee on Africa. Kennedy arranges a $100,000 grant from his families foundation to keep the program running. It was under this grant, that Barak Obama Sr came to the US to study where he meet and married Barak juniors mother.

The article also talks some about the current chaos in Kenya and Obama's relationship with different parties in the conflict.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

By the way, I love that they called the crowd at American University "boisterous." That's my school for you!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Are you the one I gave a ride home from that hotel party?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
quote:

Ron, Jesse Jackson and Bill Clinton have never run for president the same year. Jackson ran in 1984 and 1988.

So I have no idea what tactic of Clinton's you're referring to.

That's because you lack Ron's depth perception. He's able to see depth, not just in space, but in time as well. I'm afraid you are just not politically astute, Morbo.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evidently they forgot the part of the ceremony where the previous owner of the mantle ascends to heaven in a chariot of fire.
And the section where Ted Kennedy gives the Matrix of Leadership for Obama to light his darkest hour.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Morbo, you appear to be right--Walter Mondale was the Democratic nominee in the campaign for president in 1984. But the tactic Clinton used to head off Jesse Jackson from winning the nomination was indeed as stated.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
But the tactic Clinton used to head off Jesse Jackson from winning the nomination was indeed as stated.
Despite Bill Clinton not running for President then or having anything to do with the Mondale campaign? Are you saying he did this just for the heck of it?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
quote:
And the section where Ted Kennedy gives the Matrix of Leadership for Obama to light his darkest hour.
Arrrggg!!! To what depths have we sunk when a classic biblical reference is met with a Transformer cartoon!! Transformers don't even wear mantles!!
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

The Transformers are bigger than Jesus.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami, as long as Obama's campaign rallies don't start playing You've Got the Touch over the loudspeakers...

[ROFL]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Noem, can you see this one? Or this one?

I have to say, while I find the story amusing (and historically interesting), I'm a bit taken aback by how much Obama supporters react to it. Why does it matter? (Honest question -- I don't get it.)

Evie3217
Member # 5426

yeah, pooka, that was me. And for those of you who want to actually see the endorsement, here it is.
pooka
Member # 5003

I guess there's something cool about knowing Obama's very existence was made possible by JFK.

"made possible by..."

Sounds like how they intro sponsors on PBS.

(Evie: Well hi there! I thought your handle had an A in it for some reason.)

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I totally agree. It just makes it so much sweeter. Nope, it's me. You probably just got confused because my real name is Abby. That's probably where you got it from. No worries.
pooka
Member # 5003

That would do it. [Smile]
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

For the record, I totally dig my imagery, especially if one casts Howard Dean as Ultra Magnus.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Irami, as long as Obama's campaign rallies don't start playing You've Got the Touch over the loudspeakers...

[ROFL]

--Enigmatic

If Obama played Dare or You've Got the Touch at a campaign rally, I'd vote for him just for that.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
quote:
Unless of course you are talking about Republicans in which case there is no limit to the war they are raging against each other. Or were those first two quotes sensationalist to a wreckless degree?
I really don't think either side is approaching anything like open war. Just that the GOP field is a much more open race, and they're struggling more to gain a lead. Both sides in this have been fairly clean, in my estimation. But with the republicans there's been rampant push-polling again. The campaigns themselves most likely aren't running the robo-calls, but they're not exactly falling over themselves to denounce them either. And then there was Huckabee's nonsense with the attack ad he decided to "pull" because of a change of heart.

The main idea, I suppose, is that if the charge of "open war" should be leveled at anyone, it shouldn't be the democrats. I don't personally think the GOP is operating that way either, so maybe we can all just agree to blame the media again.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Icarus -

I don't think Obama was really hoping that Kennedy would get him YOUR vote. Voters in Massachusetts are what he's likely aiming for, and the voters in any state the senator in question actually represents are the people they are hoping for. Senators rarely have cross state appeal. Besides, what they REALLY want, beyond the superdelegate vote, is the machinery that senator has in the state. They want the phone banks and volunteers and such. If it did work, you'd just be a bonus.

Fair enough. [Smile]

But I think Kennedy has a negative effect on anybody who has ever heard of Chappaquiddick, for one thing.

(Not enough to actually change my vote, though.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Could be. I don't know enough about New England voters to know how they feel about Kennedy.

I wonder though, how many people who were already wanting to vote for Obama are going to say "Well if Ted Kennedy likes him, that just totally ruins it for me, I'm going to vote for someone else."

Generally I find endorsements like that have a much, much bigger benefit than they do a negative effect. But I'm more than curious to hear the other side of that question. Kennedy makes no difference to me one way or the other. Maybe if Rush Limbaugh backed Obama or Ann Coulter I'd start to question Obama, but that's my point of view, I don't know how people who hate Kennedy view the matter, it could be the same way.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, like I said, it doesn't turn me away. But maybe the issue isn't people who were going to vote for him, but people who were undecided. Kennedy will bring some of those in, of course, but he could conceivably push some of those away as well. The message Obama's selling is one of a changing paradigm of how we view government. I don't associate Ted Kennedy with change. I see him as very much an old guard Democrat.

As for New Englanders, I can only assume they love him, since they keep electing him. Just one more way New Englanders always root for the wrong guy.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

Excuse me, are you saying that all New Englanders always root for the wrong guy? That is merely a matter of opinion. I personally think, as a New Englander, that we vote for the people who will best represent our country and do the best for change and to make our country a better place. I honestly don't think we root for the wrong guy, just like I think you can't bunch all of us together. I think that I, as a person from Massachusetts (and proud of that fact), I like what the Kennedy's have done for my state. I think they have been loyal in terms of doing what is right for my state and putting the beliefs and needs of the people first. I also like the ideals of both JFK and RFK and I believe that they did a lot for this country and I wish they were still here. I really don't appreciate you attacking all New Englanders that way. I like who I vote for. You may have a different opinion, and I completely respect that, but please don't try to assume things about my part of the country, and I'll try to do the same.

As for the Kennedys, yes, I do love him. Heck, my brother has a kind of man-crush on JFK. I think they could have done great things, just like I think Obama could do great things if given the chance. It's time for a change. This country needs to get our faces out of our butts and deal with the world today, instead of constantly looking at the past. We need someone who's going to make the changes that need to happen for the next generation, so that I can have something to look forward to, so that people like me can be proud of being American. Because, right now, I'm not proud. I'm abroad right now, and a lot of the times I'm ashamed to be American, especially when I'm asked to defend my country's stance on so many things,
not least of which is the war in Iraq. I want something to be proud of, and I think Obama is the best person to help us achieve that.

Edit to add: I challenge you to find anyone who can argue the fact that Ted Kennedy hasn't been one of the most dedicated public servants in government. He has worked for the last 46 years in the government trying to make this country a better place for all of us.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.