FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do's & Don'ts With Babies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do's & Don'ts With Babies
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
In a word: awesomeness

I'm just seeing these for the first time and am cracking up at them. check them out. I might be buying this book for my brother soon.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw these a few days ago. Freaking Hilarious! I especially liked the one about pets.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
So THAT'S what I did wrong! [Smile]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great. I thought it was just going to be a list.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. In all those pictures there are entrees where a woman is doing it right, while the man does it wrong. There are also entrees where the man does it right and wrong, and where the woman does it right and wrong. But there is not a single entree where the man does it right and the woman does it wrong. Hmmm......
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
What a crock. They depict cribs as right and baby cages as wrong?

Hacks.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done at least two of those things wrong.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband showed me these at 5 AM on Sunday when we were up feeding/ taking care of our 7 week old son. My favorite is "shopping with baby."

[ROFL]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Interesting. In all those pictures there are entrees where a woman is doing it right, while the man does it wrong. There are also entrees where the man does it right and wrong, and where the woman does it right and wrong. But there is not a single entree where the man does it right and the woman does it wrong. Hmmm......
Ummm, the only one where they do that is the breast feeding one.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in class when I saw this--and I couldn't help some of my stifled laughter.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
But the baby looks so happy in the first one!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
quote:
And the "exercising" one, but still, not exactly a strong trend.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Those were a lot funnier the second time through. Not that they weren't funny the first time. I think the wondering if there is going to be any real danger to the babies made it worrisome for me. Apart from the shopping and the exercise, and the buckle... oh, and the pets.

I have to think that only a woman would try to fit a finger into a baby's nostril.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
So funny! I'm emailing those to my husband at work...since we're expecting a baby any day now, it's especially relevant. [Razz]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sad to report that I have seen people buckle baby into a high-back booster-- pretty much the same thing as just a seatbelt-- before baby is a year old. And that I have seen babies plopped in front of the tv for hours before they are 6 months old. And I'm talking "Jerry Springer" and "Law and Order" here, too. *sigh*

Emma tried to eat Jeff's "na-na" once when she was 3 months old, woke up hungry, I was in the bathroom, and he had been in the shower (so was bare-chested.) She saw the nipple and tried to nurse before he could stop her (though actually missed the nipple-- got him on the chest near the shoulder.) He screamed (and had a welt, like a hickey but bigger, for a day or so!)

My sister slept in a drawer for a while (not pushed in, of course-- they pulled it out and lined it with a quilt.) Emma slept in a Purina box lined with a quilt for almost a week until Jeff got his pay check and we could afford a used bassinet. Bridey napped at my dad's house in a laundry basket lined with a blanket until she got too big.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

I've put a kid in a laundry basket once. It worked. None of my kids ever tried to nurse me though.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure a laundry basket is pretty much along the same lines as a Moses basket, right? For that matter, so was the Purina box.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

That was my thinking.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, some men can lactate.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting that! I so needed to laugh today. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother- and sister-in-law once put their baby to sleep in a large drawer when they didn't have any other safe options.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but they didn't close the drawer.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Men can lactate?

[Confused]

[Eek!]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Oddly enough, some men can lactate.

Not exactly what I wanted to think of when I'm trying to eat a sandwich real fast. [Eek!]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to show those to my husband (since he is a new dad who had never had any experience with babies)! He laughed so hard I thought he was going to hurt himself!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
These images are stolen from a book. I happen to own the book, and those are just scans. There's another book about what to do when pregnant.

quote:
And that I have seen babies plopped in front of the tv for hours before they are 6 months old.
My baby is in front of the tv, and she's six months old. Of course she's playing in her exersaucer and pays no attention to the tv, so I think it's okay. When she starts watching the tv, we'll turn it off.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seatarsprayan:
These images are stolen from a book. I happen to own the book, and those are just scans. There's another book about what to do when pregnant.

quote:
And that I have seen babies plopped in front of the tv for hours before they are 6 months old.
My baby is in front of the tv, and she's six months old. Of course she's playing in her exersaucer and pays no attention to the tv, so I think it's okay. When she starts watching the tv, we'll turn it off.
There's a reference to that and a link to buy it at the bottom.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
No, I mean babies strapped into a carrier or bouncer, a few feet in front of the tv, with nothing else to look at or play with and no people in the room, for hours at a time. They WATCH the tv because it's the only thing to do-- they're five months old and instead of playing or exploring their hands or feet or environment, they're just zoned out gazing at tv. It's really sad.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
My son used to suck on the tip of my nose when he was hungry and I got my face near his.

It feels really weird to say that though, now that he's 21.

And my daughter insisted on playing chess, because her big brother did. I don't remember how old she was, but it was way too young to understand the rules.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DSH:
Men can lactate?

[Confused]

[Eek!]

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html
They totally can. But most men wouldn't want to. It would scare them too much.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma used to glom onto noses, too. She always wants to play chess at Grandpa's house (my dad has a set out on the coffee table) but yeah, she doesn't even understand checkers, there's no way she'd get chess. But she knows what it's called and wants to play anyway, so Abba sits down with her and she moves pieces around and says "I win!"
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They totally can. But most men wouldn't want to. It would scare them too much.
Yup. Any man who isn't lactating right now is a coward.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have to say, I would be pretty upset if my husband started lactating.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Coward.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I may not lactate
But I sure do lack taste.

Baby in Dryer--no.

Teen in dryer?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
quote:
You must have missed exercise.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"My son used to suck on the tip of my nose when he was hungry and I got my face near his."

My daughter, Luna 9, did this too. I believe there are pictures. I had to quit allowing this when she got teeth. Ouch.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Your source for the men lactating, while maybe valid, certainly seemed unprofessional, at least from the first few paragraphs (at which point I decided I wasn't terribly interested).
I have heard that Some men can/do lactate, though that's the extent of my knowledge, and I thought it was more anomalous than just ignored/shunned.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't think this was a menu.

My son also used to lift my daughter as in #1.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Yeah, I totally missed exercising baby.
And that is one strong baby..

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
I didn't think this was a menu.

My son also used to lift my daughter as in #1.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/entrees
^^ I used that as my guide, being able to pluralize entree seemed to make sense in my head, and I couldn't think of another word at the time.

I confess that as for myself I am guilty of at least two of those. And if my baby could sit still while we play chess, I'd take it as a sign he/she wants to learn how to play. [Wink]

Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a reference to that and a link to buy it at the bottom.
Oh. That makes it okay then. :-|
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
What, babies are not supposed to break new teeth in on shoes?

This certainly would have been helpful to see a long time ago.

My parents kept me in a dresser drawer. I'm proud to say that they didn't shut it. It wasn't even in the dresser at the time, or so I'm told.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no physiological impossibility for men to lactate. It would just take a highly abnormal hormonal state. Considering the vast array of physiologic abnormality expressed over 6 billion people, there certainly are men who can and have lactated naturally.

Doesn't make it any less mind-boggling.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, enough with the lactating man thing. Ew, just ew!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
It would just take a highly abnormal hormonal state.
Precisely why I would be upset if my husband started lactating.

I know, I know, mph, I'm a coward. [Razz]

Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFLMHO!

I was laughing so hard, I was crying!

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's hilarious. I have picked my kids's noses, often while nursing. Oe I also have done, that I saw on another site, is hose off kids. In the summer it was the best way to deal with diaper blow outs.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so we can lactate, and? Let's talk about milk supply and feeding a hungry baby. Me thinks my boobies aren't going to be up to the task.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I have picked my kids's noses, often while nursing.
Oh, that's another one I've done. Although I often use a kleenex. And I don't stick my finger that far in.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.