FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tranformers Rant (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Tranformers Rant
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
The episode of Beast Wars where Dinobot beats down every darned member of the Decepticons and dies in the process was incredible. I don't think I cried, but I came awfully close.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't actually like hard scifi and I am perfectly willing to suspend some disbelief, but you have to give me SOMETHING. Let's take X-men for example (not the third one). It was very enjoyable to watch. Plausible...hell no! They throw in some mumbo jumbo about DNA and evolution but if you set that aside, you've got a great movie with some decent action about outcasts struggling for acceptance and about the fear people have of things that are different - more powerful.
I don't know, I think you can do the same thing with Transformers. It was very enjoyable to watch. Plausible...hell no! They throw in some mumbo jumbo about a war that raged for years and the Autobots and Decepticons, but if you set that aside, you've got a great movie with decent action about robots who protect mankind because they believe that mankind is inherently worth fighting for and saving, that humanity is worthy of being saved which shows an optimism and joy about humanity that is embodied in how the humans rise up to fight themselves--very powerful.

I think you have to see Transformers in that light and suspend your disbelief about the robots themselves because inherently, the movie is about humanity and a sort of humanistic philosophy that is interesting.

I really liked it...

Oh and I had the toys when I was a kid...really good stuff. But lets not spread that around...

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that this thread has now stretched to 4 pages.

Yes, you want a successful thread. Rant about some ones beloved childhood memories!

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It would have had more posts had the word "rape" been in the title instead of the body of the thread.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should change the title to "Transformer rape"?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
>_<

Thanks ever so much for THAT image.

*scrubs brain*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
It would have had more posts had the word "rape" been in the title instead of the body of the thread.

Or something about religion or atheism. "If a Transformer met God, could he still be an atheist?"

[Smile]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So then, is Hot Rod just some annoying punk kid who got lucky and became the leader of the Autobots, or was it fate? If Hot Rod hadn’t caught the Matrix, would Ultra Magnus have been able to activate it?
The Matrix flashed because it got DROPPED.

Ultra Magnus could have opened it... if he'd used the finger holds!

quote:
I also enjoyed Beast Wars. There’s an episode where one of the Decepticons has his brain scrambled (probably from an EMP or something) and goes around claiming to be Wonko the Sane. Clearly, any children’s show that subtly references The Guide wins.
Actually, a prominent Transformers fan named Ben Yee (he actually registered beastwars.net, but then gave it to Hasbro and changed his site to bwtf.com had Wonko the Sane as his screen name on the newsgroup alt.toys.transformers.

The story editors of Beast Wars, Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio, used to read that newsgroup and put that reference in as a nod to Ben Yee.

Of course, he clearly chose his screen name based on the Hitchhiker's Guide, so it still comes back to the Guide.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.