FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Berkeley Recants (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Berkeley Recants
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
I signed up for Selective Services today. Had to. Made me a bit angry.

The website has a bunch of pictures of hip, happy-looking teenagers playing guitars and holding frisbees. It feels so dishonest, and I don't like it.

Meh. It's not dishonest. The point of the images is to show that all males have to register, no matter where they come from or what their styles are.

I wouldn't exactly say that all the images are of happy-looking teens, either. The dude on the far right, and the baseball player don't look thrilled.

(It's because they're pinko commie draft dodging cowards, I'm sure.)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that the difference is how they define harassment. There is a t level of connection within a family that allows for more leeway for some behaviors that it does for non-family members. I know my family can say things to me that would be incredibly rude if a non-family member said it, but I am less offended when my family says it.
I understand that. That's why I pointed out I was referring not to the connotation of the word 'harasment', but its actual definition.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
I think that the difference is how they define harassment. There is a t level of connection within a family that allows for more leeway for some behaviors that it does for non-family members. I know my family can say things to me that would be incredibly rude if a non-family member said it, but I am less offended when my family says it.
I understand that. That's why I pointed out I was referring not to the connotation of the word 'harasment', but its actual definition.
I know....I just wanted to rephrase it.

Also, it proves that someone WAS listening to you. [Wink]

There area lot of behaviors that could constitute harassment, but don't always. Sexual harassment cases are full of examples.....the same behavior from two different people can be viewed so differently, and that is only one example. That is part of why those cases are always so touchy, and at times hard to prosecute.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.