FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Ship has Come in: A Landmark Thread (Update) Deployment Soon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My Ship has Come in: A Landmark Thread (Update) Deployment Soon
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the Navy needs its nukes. I think the head of the Nuclear Propulsion Program, Admiral Donald is probably smoking from the ears about this latest incident. If this keeps us from training, then the Navy is severely short on operators for quite some time.

30 years. I can't imagine doing this for that long. Wow.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
The last 10 years he was not on a sub. He worked at the Navy Annex.

He got promoted and obtained higher ratings. He didn't stay where he started. On the Robert E. Lee he was a Master Chief. I could actually tell you his whole career, as I inherited all of his papers. I have every performance review and job promotion and all of his correspondence with the Navy.

[ May 09, 2010, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: School4ever ]

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by School4ever:
My BIL is a nuclear guy on a sub. Has been for years. His last re-up bonus was HUGE because the navy needs nuclear guys so badly.

My grandfather was also a nuclear guy on a sub - one of the first - the U.S.S. Robert E. Lee. He was in the navy for 30 years.

My grandfather was on the H-boats.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I finally qualified as mechanical operator. I get to go to the USS Ronald Reagan in San Diego. I am so pumped about that! San Diego!
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

And SD is only a couple hours from the L.A. Hatrack clump.

Just saying. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hey. Congrats. I'm in San Diego. One of my best friends is in the Navy, but unfortunately did not get stationed there because he kinda got caught with a handle in his room one time and that was his form of punishment. (According to him)

[ September 29, 2010, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

Well now I get to stay up all day checking out, after being up all night because I was on midshift. This is going to be a long day.
The Reader
Member # 3636

Another update. We'll be going on deployment soon, in the next month, to the standard places in the pacific. Then we'll be in combat support operations for Iraq and Afghanistan. The length will be greater than half a year. Obviously I'm being intentionally vague for OpSec reasons. [Razz]

I'm pretty excited. I have some stateside loose ends to tie up, but they should be simple. Maybe I'll start getting those skill sets the recruiting commercials all promised!

The carrier is pretty cool. It is not like the old days. There is satellite TV with NFL Sunday ticket, slow internet, and planned activities.

It's weird when we're in port and it's a weekend. The huge ship is nearly devoid of activity. It's easy to walk aft to forward on the messdecks and not pass anyone if it's late enough at night.

At sea it's different. The chow line goes up two ladder wells and into the hanger bay. It's so cool to stand right next to FA-18s when you're in line to eat bad food. I think this is the same food prisoners get.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand you have some security concerns regarding posting here. I know a pilot with the 7th fleet, who flies an FA-18 (technically, I think he's flying an FA-18E). I have no idea what his deployment schedule is, either.

Good luck, and I guess, have fun over there. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Reader, just read through your thread. I've got a lot of friends who are Sailors and Marines in San Diego, including one who I'm pretty sure is going to be on your deployment.

May I ask where you went to A-school?

If you happen to stop at Pearl Harbor and get some time off, and feel like hanging out with a fellow Hatracker, let me know. I'm stationed here at MCBH Kaneohe Bay.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

I posted that previously. It was in Goose Creek, SC.

I'll keep Hawaii in mind, but the schedule is loose.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, and stay safe!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Safe travels. [Smile]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure to take a lot of books. Or video games. Or something to do. I read 40+ books on my last Japan deployment.

And you're wrong about the food. I'd reckon that prisoners get FAR better food. Coming home from a deployment to Hawaii, this was our menu:
- "Pancit" (spaghetti noodles with chunk beef, no sauce)
- No sides or anything to drink but water and root beer
- "Pie" consisting of grape jelly on pizza crust

Also, our boiler exploded, so we were cruising along without AC and on emergency power for about a week on the equator.

And you might want to see what kind of items that the ship store runs out of on long deployments. You can make a good deal of money by supplying stuff. On any long deployment when I was in, Camel "Hard Pack" cigarettes could go for as much as $15 / pack (they don't sell them in Asia), and I've seen Newports going for $10. Some food items like jerky, peanut butter, and Mountain Dew can also fetch a premium. That is, if you have any room left in your rack locker. My shop would keep an area of chair lockers for food / cigarette storage.

Needless to say, I got out after six years. Good times!

[ January 05, 2011, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Herblay ]

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

Chewing tobacco and monster is what's huge now. I can get a premium for that stuff. It also works to get a qual card signed when someone is realle jonesing for nicotene or sugar.

Pancit. I had it once in A school. It was one of the worst things I have ever eaten. The pie is still the same, but there was peanut butter cake today that was killer good. We had crab legs a few days ago, but they always pull out the good stuff for the times right before we pull in.

I think an advantage to being on a carrier is that there is room for more supplies, and the opportunity to fly more on if necessary. There are vending machine banks on board, full of Monster and candy bars.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.