FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The IRS is just going to send me money? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The IRS is just going to send me money?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I used TaxAct, so maybe there's something about how they process their payments that makes it look like a multiple direct deposit. The IRS person said they were just figuring it out themselves based on the calls that were coming in and they hadn't figured out exactly why, just that a large number of people who had to pay to e-file are in the "mail a check" category.

But the IRS web site specifically states that direct depositing your return into multiple accounts means you're getting mailed a check (down at the bottom) so, Tom is definitely in for a wait.

It says something about entering into a financial arrangement with your tax preparer in the next paragraph, so that may be why mine is in this category.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh. Turns out it doesn't matter what software I used, since I owed them money this year and used direct debit, I'll be getting a paper check. For whatever reason, they can't use that same account information to do a direct deposit.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My social ends in the May 9th group. I wanted to update anyone who is interested that I received my electronic deposit yesterday.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My direct debit says "IRS" on the description line, so I'm hoping that means they just forwarded my information to the IRS rather than collecting the money from me and then disbursing it to the IRS, which I would guess creates the problem, if I had to guess.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify, paying to e-file ONLY changes you to paper check IF you pay to e-file using your refund. (At least, that's how it's supposed to work.) If you paid with a debit/credit card to e-file with Turbo Tax, you will still get direct deposit.

Also, if you chose to get a "refund anticipation loan", that usually bumps you into the paper check category, too.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I just checked the mailing schedule, and if it comes by check, we will have just missed it to move/go on vacation.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not use my refund to pay to e-file, nor did I take a refund anticipation loan. I'm still going to have to wait til 6/20. Again, the IRS person with whom I spoke indicated that there was something at work that they didn't yet understand clearly.

Edited for clarity.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me, it may be different for Tax Act users. From what I understand, TurboTax users who used debit/credit to pay should still get it via direct deposit, though. And some Tax Act customers who paid that way are getting thiers direct deposited, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

One other thing not relevant to your situation but that might be to someone else's is that if you filed your taxes after mid-March you may not get your payment on schedule. (Though some people are. It really seems almost totally random at this point...)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

On year I found my refund check in my backyard. It was all torn and tattered, like that camp song about the billboard. I think it must have gotten blown out of the mailbox on a gusty day.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my check! Of course, it is already spent, but still nice to have it.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I had Turbo Tax deduct the fee. I'm hosed. I needed this money for the trip my wife and I were going to take to LA next month.

Now I have to try to figure out where to come up with the money.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

We'll just pay down some debt, mostly.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Bummer, brojack. [Frown]

What's kinda annoying is that the IRS didn't say ANYTHING about this until AFTER people started getting (or not getting) their money. You would think if they knew this was going to happen they could give some notice so people could plan accordingly.

brojack17
Member # 9189

Exactly. I think I'll still be able to make it but we won't be able to do as much as we thought.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine early this morning. I'm DD group 2.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't decided if I'm going to spend mine on coke and whores, or cigarettes and Russian brides.

Actually I'll probably save it for a rainy day.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, brojack, cause for hope (at least a small amount): just read one woman's post that she had TT take out her fees from her refund-- and got her refund DD into her account the day it was supposed to (today) anyway. So again, it seems this is all completely weird and almost randomly people are getting or not getting DD according to some very strange rules.
pooka
Member # 5003

I haven't seen/gotten mine. [Frown] If it was coming by DD, we should have been the 9th. But we did owe, and I did pay the filing fee with a different account, and I filed on April 15th at about 11:15 p.m. So who knows, right? So flippin' exciting.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the last group, used TurboTax to file online, and did get mine direct deposited today.
Just in case you were all wondering.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ditto-- showed up late last night.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
No moneys for me yet [Frown] Guess it'll be late next month or early July. At least that gives me more time to think of something to do with it, though I suppose I should do the grownup thing and put it towards paying off the new car.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

My sister-in-law is lending us part of her check for our vacation. We'll have to back off a little bit but we'll still have a good time.
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
We got our check on the 9th, and it was the minimum for join-filers, $600. We've put it toward my wife's student debt.

EDIT: We received the money by direct deposit, of course.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
Rather, it was by direct deposit, in case anyone was wondering ;-) I filed our tax return with TurboTax.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Still haven't seen mine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.