FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » xbox 360 gaming (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: xbox 360 gaming
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, that would be fun. I've been busy with work though. Maybe on a day off. I work 10 hour days. [Frown]

Is there some kind of Hatrack group on Live?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack Gamers is the group.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just send a friend request to Hatrack Gamers and MEC will add you (he's the one that owns the Silver membership that serves as the hub for the hatrack group).

ten hour days suck [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Yeah, I only work 4 days a week though. [Smile] And I get five days off in a row every 28 days.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, not so bad then, Nick. [Razz]

Also.

I love Mass Effect. Love. I finished it last night. Awesome.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Yes. I've beaten it 5 or 6 times now. I'm thinking about playing through again. I love that game. Now that I have windows XP on my iMac(finally got boot camp to work), I've been playing Half-Life 2.

Xbox has taken back burner to playing with the computer. [Smile] Let's just say I'll stop calling them "Crapples". I LOVE my iMac.

mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, I started my second playthrough yesterday and have discovered that it IS fun to play again as your character but now at a higher level.

And [Big Grin] at your new mac stance. I mean, the part at not calling them crapples anymore. PCs are good for some stuff and some people. Sorta like, um, some religions.

Back to Mass Effect, it's neat on the second playthrough because you know how things work out, so you notice little things that you didn't know before. Sort of like watching some movies a second time (like the Sixth Sense or something) and knowing the end. It's quite cool.

Oh. And since I have the full intimidate to start with, my character gets to be more of a bitch. [Big Grin]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't start a second playthrough right away with the same character, because I discovered that if you unlock a skill during the game (i.e. use it enough to get the associated achievement), you can then add that skill as a bonus skill to a new character. So instead of playing again with my original character (Infiltrator), I started an Adept and gave him the sniper rifle skill. [Big Grin]

Optimally, what I want to do is have an Infiltrator, Vanguard, or Soldier with the Singularity skill at level 60 and ready for Mass Effect 2... but since that requires something like three more playthroughs I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm DracoFire87 on XBox Live. Unfortunately, my one month trial is going to run out while I'm still in exile in Washington without working broadband, so I will not be available to play anything until July or so. But add me to your friends lists now and I'll add y'all as soon as I can. I should end up having Rock Band, Halo 3, Burnout Paradise, and maybe a borrowed copy of Gears of War.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Make sure you send a friend request to the Hatrack Gamers account. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought Gears of War, It seems alright, but I really don't enjoy going up against people who have played the game for more than a year and just getting my but kicked.

Mackillian has convinced me to get Mass Effect, I was going to wait awhile since I have plenty of games I'm playing through right now, but since she's been playing it consistently for about a month, I went ahead and bought it. I started the game on veteran difficulty and it's been pretty tough. I find I enjoy using the sniper rifle because I can one shot a lot of enemies, although getting the aiming down is tough.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Mass Effect=Awesome

I've got nathan playing it now, since I should really take a break after two playthroughs (and then some) and getting my renegade to 60. [Smile]

MEC, I started out on Normal because I'm a pansy. What class is your character? One thing is that your character needs to be trained in a weapon for it to have any aiming ability. I think only soldiers and infiltrators have that training. Also, once your level grows in that skill, aiming is better, along with upgrades you can attach to the sniper rifle, like a kinetic coil, frictionless materials, and other stuff (I can't remember what the earlier stability stuff is called). But it does improve a lot.

Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Halo 3! Look up 'albino xxxl' yo! Or my little brother (who rocks) 'Antifrenchfrie' also have COD 4 but I dont play that much... Band prac and all...
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing a fair bit of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 these days. I've finished the story mode on normal and realistic, and am now working through the terrorist hunts on realistic. If anyone has it and is interested in some coop, give me a shout. I'm down for story or terrorist hunts. I tried to add the hatrack group to my friends, but the request has been pending for well over a week. My gamertag is Seandor if anyone is interested.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I'll add you guys.

I'm going to rent R6V2, it should arrive tomorrow, however I know Mackillian and T_Smith play it often.

My character is a soldier, I'll probably make an alternative character that's renegade as well as a different class though.

The one problem with being paragon is that I really feel that I should execute the criminals I defeat.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Also, as a paragon, you can't shoot monkeys with cannons. Or punch out crazy people. Or... well, I won't give away some spoilers. [Wink]

Oh, if you're a soldier, just make sure you've unlocked sniper rifles and have at least one little skill bar in there. I played Infiltrator though, so I'm not sure if you sniper is locked or unlocked at the outset.

I want to do a 3rd playthrough with another class eventually. And play it as a Paragon. Though that'll be hard, knowing the Funny that would go down as a Renegade.

However, Final Fantasy VII is next, as commanded by quite a few people who were shocked to find out that I'd never played it.

MEC
Member # 2968

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is a lot of fun, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for introducing me to the game, it's fun playing with you guys.

MEC
Member # 2968

So, is anyone playing GTAIV?
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I sold my 360. Lately I've been running the sidequest gauntlet that is Final Fantasy XII. And looking for a cheap copy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing GTAIV. I really enjoy it, though I'm a bit annoyed at all the 9.5-10.0 ratings it has gotten. It's not *that* good and it has some fun-stealing flaws, IMO.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
I'm playing GTAIV. I really enjoy it, though I'm a bit annoyed at all the 9.5-10.0 ratings it has gotten. It's not *that* good and it has some fun-stealing flaws, IMO.

Man I HATE it when I clearly hold down Y so as to get in a taxi, and instead he jacks it and a cop just happens to be there thus forcing me to gun the cop down, which of course brings helicopters leaving me no choice but to shoot them down with an RPG, thus bringing SWAT down on me. All in all, after I've spent hours running from and gunning down the cops I die and have to start over from the previous save point. It's such a bloody waste of time. [Wink]

The game could use fewer F bombs, but I guess the city IS modeled on New York City.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Man I HATE it when I clearly hold down Y so as to get in a taxi, and instead he jacks it and a cop just happens to be there thus forcing me to gun the cop down, which of course brings helicopters leaving me no choice but to shoot them down with an RPG, thus bringing SWAT down on me. All in all, after I've spent hours running from and gunning down the cops I die and have to start over from the previous save point. It's such a bloody waste of time. [Wink]

The game could use fewer F bombs, but I guess the city IS modeled on New York City.

I've found the exact opposite to be true, I never have any problem, even with four stars. All you need to do is drive real fast and poof, all the cops go away.

Anyone want to get together for some multi-player sometime? I still haven't tried it out too much yet.

twinky
Member # 693

I haven't tried multiplayer at all, but I'm only a couple of hours into the game. I'm dividing my attention between GTA IV and Jade Empire.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
quote:
quote:

I've found the exact opposite to be true, I never have any problem, even with four stars. All you need to do is drive real fast and poof, all the cops go away.

Anyone want to get together for some multi-player sometime? I still haven't tried it out too much yet.

Try it with 5 stars, it's actually quite tricky to get away unless you have a predetermined escape route off a ramp or some such. Has anybody managed to get 6 stars? I think I got it once but I died seconds later so I didn't get to see if they actually call out the national guard.

It's true that often all you need is a semi straight stretch of road and you can just drive fast away from the cops. But try letting them catch up to you and then just driving away, unless you drive the wrong way through one way roads it's kinda hard to shake them. Of course you can always create a pileup behind you and that often does the trick, then you just have to evade units ahead of your position.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Try it with 5 stars, it's actually quite tricky to get away unless you have a predetermined escape route off a ramp or some such. Has anybody managed to get 6 stars? I think I got it once but I died seconds later so I didn't get to see if they actually call out the national guard.

It's true that often all you need is a semi straight stretch of road and you can just drive fast away from the cops. But try letting them catch up to you and then just driving away, unless you drive the wrong way through one way roads it's kinda hard to shake them. Of course you can always create a pileup behind you and that often does the trick, then you just have to evade units ahead of your position. [/QB]

I've managed to escape that way with five stars now. I tried it with six, got extremely close to leaving the circle with no cops in sight, but then a civilian car crashed into me and I got knocked out and died because I had barely any health left.

The quickest way to obtain six stars is trespassing on a locked island, I guess they assume that you're a terrorist or something. I don't think you can get six stars any other way until you unlock all of the islands. In free roam mode I got six stars with T-Smith and some other friends when we all collected as much weapons and ammo as we could, and then I got an apache and flew us onto the roof of a medium sized building, then we just started blasting people. Also I don't know if it always works, but whenever we would enter the helicopter and leave we would get a complement of rockets.

T-Smith, and some other friends and I all got into a bus on free roam mode and decided to have a "party bus" were we would drive all around the central island (whatever is based on Manhattan) and shoot at cops. We got up to five stars before I accidentally drove us in a corner.

Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I got six stars by taking a helicopter to an island that wasn't unlocked yet. I then flew it out over the water to try and shake the wanted level but I couldn't. This was, however, an easy way to unlock one man army.

On another subject, does anybody know when Ticket to Ride is supposed to be up on Xbox arcade?

Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Beat the game today. I guess I'll have to spend more time online now to keep myself entertained. I'll keep an eye out for you folks.
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
I got six stars by taking a helicopter to an island that wasn't unlocked yet. I then flew it out over the water to try and shake the wanted level but I couldn't. This was, however, an easy way to unlock one man army.

On another subject, does anybody know when Ticket to Ride is supposed to be up on Xbox arcade?

What's Ticket to Ride?

I got the one man achievement right in the beginning of the game. I drove up to the bridge where you leave to the next island, then made sure my car was pointing away from the cops so I could shoot at them, get six stars, and run away real quick, I then drove to the safe-house and ran inside and just waited with a shotgun pointed at the front door. I got the achievement before any police showed up, but managed to survive some time longer by shooting anyone who approached.

twinky
Member # 693

Tried GTA IV online last night. Cops & Robbers mode. It was pretty fun. [Smile]
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
What's Ticket to Ride?

Ticket to Ride
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:

I agree with you there.

One of the most annoying things I find are the scripted chases, where you have to keep up to some vehicle where they are literally bolted to the ground and your only option is to follow them until it ends. It's so annoying to have to dodge all the stupid crap they go through over and over because if you miss one thing you fail because you fall behind. And then on top of that, they end it the lamest possible way. I had to chase a frickin' motorcycle through the subway, while dodging trains and making a jump off a bridge, and then to end it, he slows to about five miles per hour, and eventually bumps into a taxi. There was another scripted chase I had to do so many times that I knew the path he would take, so I cut him off at one point and rammed him to try and end it, instead there is no effect on him whatsoever and I go flying off several blocks.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Limited engagement for you Rockband types. I am playing tonight, starting around 7PM. I have 144 songs, so I have a fair bit of DLC.

I am in the Hatrack Gamers group on Live, my live handle is ViolentREMs.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey hey ... I just got a 360! Yay me! I have a Live account (my name is Dakoit), but my internet is really sketchy right now. In fact, after tonight it might be gone for a couple of weeks. But yeah ... I'll have to play with some of you jatraquero's at some point in the future.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

We need to revive the weekly Halo 3 Hatrack Night.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I have halo 3 now yay! not sure when to activate my free month of live yet.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I'm down for some Halo 3, but I will admit that I'll likely be an easy kill, I don't put in the time required to be a good player.

My screen name is "TooMuchGuinness" [Smile]

How do you join the gamer group "Hatrack Gamers" ?
EDIT: Figured it out, request sent.
EDIT2: I know Guinness has more than one n, I swear! [Wall Bash] [Wink]

[ July 23, 2008, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread until now. I'm a lurker, but I've had my 360 for a couple of years now. It looks like I don't have any of the popular titles in here. I usually play little stuff in arcade like Marbleblast Ultra, Uno, Catan, etc.

I'm currently working through GTAIV for the second time after beating it once and all of my progress getting wiped when I tried retrieving a gamertag. It was messy and frustrating. I started from scratch with a new profile because of it. So I'm slowly going through the achievements in all of my games.

Anywho, my tag is "AlleyBetwixtCRO"
I'll request the Hatrack Gamers group next time I'm on!

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I'm down for some Halo 3, but I will admit that I'll likely be an easy kill, I don't put in the time required to be a good player.

My screen name is "TooMuchGuiness" [Smile]

How do you join the gamer group "Hatrack Gamers" ?
EDIT: Figured it out, request sent.

You mean: "TooMuchGuinness" [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
I have halo 3 now yay! not sure when to activate my free month of live yet.

I believe each gamertag gets a free month, so you can test it out on an extra tag if you want.
Nick
Member # 4311

Yes MEC, that's the name. Stupid typos.

Added you. [Smile]

MEC
Member # 2968

Oh, and I'd love to play, but my 360 is broken...again. Yes, it seems when I sent in my 360 for having received the red ring of death, Microsoft promptly returned to me a broken refurbished system.
Nick
Member # 4311

See, that's why the Xbox is almost the only Microsoft product I own. [Smile]

*Mac user*

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm looking for a game I can play with my girlfriend. She's not really a big gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but we're wanting to enjoy my new system together. I was hoping that Civil War game the History Channel put out was two player, but alas. She's played Halo and doesn't mind it, but doesn't really like that much. She's not into any sort of complexity really. I'm just looking for a simple, engaging, fun 2 player game. Right now the only thing I'm aware of on that front is Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but I think she'd get bored with it.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Buy a Wii. Seriously. A lot of people who don't really like video games that much enjoy it because of the simplicity of the controls. Playstation 3 and Xbox360 controls are very daunting to the non-gaming inclined. [Smile]

I think you would be hard pressed to find a game that is simple on either of those two systems.

twinky
Member # 693

Any of the Lego games would be good choices -- Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, or Lego Batman later this year. I played Lego Star Wars II on the 360 with my girlfriend and we had a blast.

We've also gotten hooked on N+, which is an XBLA download. Check out the demo with your girlfriend and see if she likes the co-op.

MEC
Member # 2968

Has anyone else tried Braid?

It's a new arcade title that was just released that's been getting some controversy over it's $15 price tag (most arcade titles cost $10).

The game is essentially a puzzle platformer that has some homages to early platformers like super mario and donkey kong, while including a time control element. Each world has a unique special rule also.

I've been playing the game for a bit and I highly recommend at least trying the demo.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing and greatly enjoying Braid. So far I've made it through all the worlds, and put together all the puzzles for two of them. Now I'm working on finishing the other three so that I can finish the game. But I'm not too concerned about finishing it quickly. It's nice to just sit back and enjoy the beautiful levels and relaxing music.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Have you found any of the secret stars?

I found one by myself, then looked up the rest.

Edit to add: Oh, and I just found out target is having a sale on 1600 point cards for $15. which brings the price of Braid to $11.25, although this would then also bring the price of most arcade titles to $7.50.

[ August 11, 2008, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
hey everybody, my live account year subscription expired, and it wont let me sign in to update the credit card information so i can renew it. anybody know what i should do? i realy dont wanna have to create a new account an lose my gamerscore/rep/whatnot
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Why won't it let you sign in?

Can you sign in at Xbox.com?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.