FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wii gaming (updated: now with some friend codes)

Author Topic: Wii gaming (updated: now with some friend codes)
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
This is somewhat in response to mackillian's thread.

How many people here play Wi-fi enabled games on a Wii?

I'm planning on at least renting Super Smash Bros. Brawl for awhile.

MEC: 0817-3662-3586
Krynn: 4940-5101-7705
C3PO the Dragon Slayer: 3050-7257-8202

[ March 27, 2008, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I intend on it when I get broadband at home. But that'll be a while.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on winning Smash Bros Brawl at a tournament come Saturday at Midnight. [Big Grin]

My brother and I are training all week for it in fact.

I'll be playing SBB online alot once it's out.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding?

Brawl for the win!

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of/play any online games on my wii currently, though hope to/plan to do so once Brawl comes out (big midnight release plans this weekend yesss).
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Midnight?? You'll be so tired that you won't be able to enjoy it when you start playing it right away!

Me, I'm getting it right after spiritual rejuvenation at church.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
The only game I've played online for Wii was Mario Strikers, and unless you connect to one of the few people who doesn't use cheap exploits, it's not very fun. I did have a few good games against my cousin, though.

I've never been a huge fan of the Brawl series, but I might check it out.

The game I'm really looking forward to playing online is Mario Kart.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
/signs on to the Brawl bandwagon
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
The only game I've played online for Wii was Mario Strikers, and unless you connect to one of the few people who doesn't use cheap exploits, it's not very fun. I did have a few good games against my cousin, though.
Yeah, there are a TON of poor sports on Nintendo Wi-fi, which is why I was hoping some of us would like to trade friend codes and play together.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
Midnight?? You'll be so tired that you won't be able to enjoy it when you start playing it right away!

Me, I'm getting it right after spiritual rejuvenation at church.

Technically the tournament starts at 9:00pm but I can't walk off with the game until midnight. I can't buy the game on Sunday along with everybody else as it's the sabbath.

I find a certain level of continuity that in order to prove that I deserve to play Brawl I have to mop the floor with all the folks I can at Melee first.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, my friends and I have been mopping the floor with each other for long enough in Melee. I'm trying to decide how I could/should plot my sleep schedule so I can either stay up late Saturday night and Sunday morning or whatever else. I think I'll stay up friday, sleep in Sat. Then sleep at a normal time Sunday night.

This week is finals for me, so it's sorta a party that Brawl is coming out [Big Grin]

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
My very first Strikers game online, I played and beat the sixth-ranked player in the world. No kidding. It was awesome.

I plan on kicking all sorts of ass in Brawl, when it arrives.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a wii two days ago, but I don't think I have anything I can play online. At the moment, I am still enjoying wii sports and wii game arcade. Also, Mercury Revolution is awesome.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Flaming Toad on a Stick: WOW! Teach me your secrets, I'm terrible at Strikers!
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Flaming Toad on a Stick: WOW! Teach me your secrets, I'm terrible at Strikers!

Secrets? Okay, how about this.

You can hold the shoot button to charge the ball, then press the pass button to pass it and keep the charge. The ball charges faster this way than by passing it around. Even when the ball is fully charged, charging your shot with a powerful character will make it more effective than just tapping the shot button. You can also use a dodge while charging a shot, which is effective with characters like Birdo and DK, as they can throw a defender's tackle aside, then charge and shoot.

It's possible to use effective (read:cheap) moves with pretty much any character, so learn everyone's moves well. Using Dry Bones as an example: when the ball is charged, he can use his dodge to go right past the goalie into the net. His fully charged shot shocks the goalie, and following up with a lob shot will usually go in if done right.

Be sure to have at least one person with perfect passing, and always go for sliding interceptions (when the ball's on the ground) and jumping interceptions in the air. To do this, act as if you were receiving the pass, and press the passing button. You can also shoot directly from an aerial interception if you're in the opponent's zone.

Use items effectively, especially when setting up a Megastrike, and learn your captain's moves diligently, and you should be fine.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

I got Brawl! And I'm having a blast!

I don't have any friends registered yet (I have at least two friends with it, but I've been stuck at home today so I can't ask them for their friend codes yet), but I have spectated several matches.

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I am loving our Wii! I was totally against it and now I am in love with it! I love Boxing! I am actually losing weight and toning my arms! I can't wait to get the WiiFit when it comes out on May. I am going to go reserve one so I am not scrambling like we were to get the Wii! Hubby thinks it's hysterical that I love it so much! I just like that we do it all as a family so I don't feel like we're taking time away from the kids. We're raising little gamers!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
If Wii Tennis had online play, I'd probably need an intervention.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

My wii's in the basement and our wireless router is up one floor and probably 20 feet horizontally away and it can't find a signal for the life of it. It has been on the internet in this place before, but not steadily. Are there any adapters to take the RCA out from the wii and get that signal into my computer via S-video, 15 pin monitor cord or more snazzy looking monitor cord slot(or are all those video outs from the computer..) Becuase if so I could play using my computer as a screen much closer to my router. hm. Regardless, it's a great game that I've been playing way too much (my friends and I got it at midnight and were up till 7 playing it haha. fun times). Very pleased with what changes have been made and not disappointed or annoyed about anything obvious that's been left out. yay.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little disappointed. I ordered SSBB from Toys R Us on preorder back in December, with the understanding that I'd have it yesterday. From what I can tell, it hasn't shipped yet. Honestly, I don't care that much. I'm too busy right now to really get into it, but I'll give them a phone call today.

Despite that, I will plug Toys R Us deal for people. If you buy SSBB from them, they'll give you 50% off one from a list of games. If you were looking to get Guitar Hero III, for example, they'd sell you the bundle for $45, instead of $90.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

My friend got HIS preordered Super Smash Bros. three days early...

...and you won't believe what my reaction was when I found out...

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You're still at his house playing, aren't you?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

No, I have my own copy now, but the transfer did cause a few seizures... [Razz]
MEC
Member # 2968

I've got Brawl now, I'll post my friend code soon.

If anyone also has an X-box I thought it might be a good idea to go onto a private chat with that and then play brawl so we can actually communicate with each other, if and when we play.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
black blade. my friend also won the GameStop Tournament on release night. i unlocked all the chars and have been playing online quite a bit. i think my FC is:

4940 5101 7705

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

0817-3662-3586
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I've unlocked all the characters, but not quite all the levels. I'll post my FC hopefully tonight when I can look at it.

I tried playing Online with random people and it seems like there is a noticeable lag between hitting the button and it executing on screen? Has anybody else noticed this? Does this problem go away under any circumstances? Do you think it's on Nintendo's end or on my end? I play Xbox live all the time and never have this problem.

C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

My online plays lagged a split second during the first match, but then leveled out until you couldn't even tell it was an online match.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
This article cracked me up.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/wii_video_games_blamed_for_rise_in

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

That was one of the silliest The Onion articles I have ever seen.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "silly" was the point.
People think they are doing some athletic tennis move, or exhibiting some bowling prowess, but they are just flailing their wrists around.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
MEC im adding you now. remember to add me.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Who else has been abusing the Stage Builder?

I've made almost 50 stages now. My favorites include a Giant Tank, a course that looks like a train, a "Wall Jumpers" course (which favors characters like Mario, Lucario, Toon Link, Sonic, etc), a big course that consists of two big slopes forming a huge valley, a series of Battlefield clones that consist of special terrain features, and the first one I ever made: Death Match. I also made a stage where it's impossible to get a KO, which I call "Tigger Movie" because of the way characters bounce all over the place when damage gets racked up.

We should have an official Hatrack Super Smash Bros. Brawl stage exchange!

MEC
Member # 2968

I'd like to see some of those maps, of course We'd need to exchange friend codes first! [Wink]
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

3050-7257-8202
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We might never see MEC on xbl again!

Also, I'll let Nathan know he needs to check on this thread since he likes SSBB.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Update: I have discovered how to lose on Tigger Movie! Dragoon, star thing, and some Final Smashes.
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Update: I have discovered how to lose on Tigger Movie! Dragoon, star thing, and some Final Smashes.

Yeah, I built a stage like that after you described it and found that the computer characters in the game would kill themselves with those things after awhile.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.