FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want to write a novelization of Hatrack (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I want to write a novelization of Hatrack
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunnert!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Blayne, how would you feel if we decided to create a book where each member writes a story specifically about you?
It doesn't matter whether he'd be OK with it -- many people here wouldn't be.
I'ld be thrilled, "hey look, people are writing a book about me!"
I really doubt you'd be thrilled, especially if you had no control over its contents. I imagine you'd feel the same way as you do when your threads here don't go the way you want them to.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see Blayne write a book in which a curmudgeonly jerk named Occasional finds a soulmate on an Internet forum and learns to love. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Human:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
But if you do, you'll be deliberately offending people.

This would be the real crux of the matter. Though if prior evidence tells us anything, it's that Blayne doesn't much care about that.
That is so not true. If prior evidence tells us anything, it's that the deliberate offense adds spice to it for him.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What prior evidence? Wasn't it deleted?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I want to see Blayne write a book in which a curmudgeonly jerk named Occasional finds a soulmate on an Internet forum and learns to love. [Smile]

I smell a CRT-lit musical montage!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I request that I not be included in anything Blayne writes.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
What prior evidence? Wasn't it deleted?

Point taken.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I will freely waive any objections to being in this book if Blayne agrees to name his character Mary Sue (or knowing him, probably something more like Mray Sue)

[ROFL]

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
blayne's serializing us so that the people he dislikes can get shot or stabbed or something, I bet.

I will read it, however, as I am a huge fan of comedy.

That's pretty much why I'd be perfectly okay with Blayne using me as a character. I have zero fear of this monstrosity actually getting published, so I'm pretty sure it'd just be us reading it, and I think Blayne's portrayal of me would be extremely amusing.

Hatrack fanfic is woefully underrepresented.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
"I want to see Blayne write a book in which a curmudgeonly jerk named Occasional finds a soulmate on an Internet forum and learns to love."

You have no idea. Well, now you do sort of.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Hey, I'd read it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care if Blayne uses me. I'd read it too. I think it would be funny.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too worried about being recognized.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Having contributed to sites like Wikipedia, I'm used to the notion that anything I put on the Internet is not mine. It's the world's. I may have made it, but usually nobody cares, and that's true of the pseudonym and persona surrounding it as well as the work. Therefore, I have no qualms about this, it might be a fun read. I gave the world permission whatever liberty required to use my image and work for their own ends when I signed up for the Internet, and so did everyone else.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I gave the world permission whatever liberty required to use my image and work for their own ends when I signed up for the Internet, and so did everyone else.
We did not.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I gave the world permission whatever liberty required to use my image and work for their own ends when I signed up for the Internet, and so did everyone else.
You might have. I didn't. The Internet needs to get over this idea that neither law nor civility apply to it. The laws regarding use of likeness, copyright, trademark, and right of publicity do not stop applying because someone invents a new method of publication.

The general rules about these things are well established. Courts have been pretty darned good at interpreting them in light of new technology. The cultural memes of the Internet do not trump the law.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
If he referred to us merely by our forum names could anything be done? I'd be surprised if forum handles were implicitly copyrights. If that's all that he would use then I would have no problem with it.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm not going to address the legalities of Blayne's idea specifically. I don't think I can do that, ethically.

My last comment was aimed at a broad statement about implied license to use of image and works.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
I'm not going to address the legalities of Blayne's idea specifically. I don't think I can do that, ethically.

My last comment was aimed at a broad statement about implied license to use of image and works.

Whats the ethical issue of providing legal information?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Because it could be construed as legal advice in which I have a conflict of interest. I have no desire to create an attorney-client relationship with you.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:

I must've missed that disclaimer in the materials from my ISP.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Because it could be construed as legal advice in which I have a conflict of interest. I have no desire to create an attorney-client relationship with you.

[Monkeys]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What does the monkeys gremlin means?

Also i do not understand how is it a conflict of interest and also I pay in cookies [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It means I was really restraining myself from saying something but couldn't resist quoting the post because I found my thought so funny.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"hmm looking over Dagonne's CV, it appears you worked for a 'Blayne Bradley' in the past, I think we cannot hire you due to that having any proximity to him may present us with severe liabilities. I am sorry"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Also i do not understand how is it a conflict of interest
Because my interests in protecting any rights in publicity, likeness, and copyright are in opposition to your interests in writing the novel.

"[A] lawyer shall not represent a client if the representation involves a concurrent conflict of interest. A concurrent conflict of interest exists if ... there is a significant risk that the representation of one or more clients will be materially limited by ... a personal interest of the lawyer."

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
I'm used to the notion that anything I put on the Internet is not mine. It's the world's.

Even though I do have legal rights, I prefer to think that way about anything I post on the net. It makes for less anger and dissapointment.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.