FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ode to Macaroni and Cheese (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ode to Macaroni and Cheese
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just too lazy to use/wash measuring cups.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In general, though, I am annoyed by the "I am way too cool for a recipe" attitude.
Some things taste good because you follow a recipe, and a cook is not a better cook just because they improvise.

It has nothing to do with "I'm too cool for a recipe." There are lots of factors, including:

1.) Sometimes I'm cooking based on what I have in the cupboard. Being able to season and spice to taste gives me the confidence to make something that's at least edible and often quite tasty.

2.) If I'm trying duplicate something I've tasted, there's really no other way to do it.

3.) I like to play with recipes. I couldn't do this reliably until I got better at seasoning and spicing to taste. I'm still not great at it, which leads me to ...

4.) It's good practice.

5.) Many fresh ingredients vary considerably. For example, tomatoes vary in sweetness and acidity. Being able to adjust the seasoning and spice allows me to produce a better dish.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything Dags, ElJay, and Ela said.

Also, improvising may not make one a better cook. Being able to improvise certainly does.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate all of your feedback, but I remain annoyed by the attitude. It is a sort of holier-than-thou thing.

On the other hand, I always remember the scene in Dandelion Wine when the daughter-in-law organizes the grandmother's kitchen, makes her use a cookbook, and all of her food tastes like crap.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Can you clarify whether you think any of the statements in this thread exhibited that attitude to you?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really, it just reminded me of annoyances at other times, I guess.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, improvising may not make one a better cook. Being able to improvise certainly does.
I would modify that to read "Being able to improvise effectively certainly does". I've known cooks who improvise regularly who would be far better off following a recipe.

With that said, I enjoy improvising in the kitchen. Its fun, I learn from it and I often come up with better results than when I follow a recipe.

When I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance and was suddenly unable to cook with most of the ingredients in common recipes, being able to improvise literally saved me. If I were limited only to gluten free recipes, my culinary life would be a lot more boring. That's even more important to me now that I'm living in a country where I can't easily buy many of the gluten free products available in North America and Europe.

BTW Dagonee, A good homemade Macaroni and Cheese is one of my comfort foods as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a source of gluten free macaroni locally here in Trinidad. Your lead post made me crave the stuff. Way to twist the knife in the wound.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread keeps making me think of culturing some crème fraîche.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get rice flour and make your own pasta? It wouldn't have to be elbow-shaped.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I would modify that to read "Being able to improvise effectively certainly does". I've known cooks who improvise regularly who would be far better off following a recipe.
[Big Grin]

quote:
BTW Dagonee, A good homemade Macaroni and Cheese is one of my comfort foods as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a source of gluten free macaroni locally here in Trinidad. Your lead post made me crave the stuff. Way to twist the knife in the wound.
[Frown] I'm sorry.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Can you get rice flour and make your own pasta? It wouldn't have to be elbow-shaped.

I've never been successful making pasta with rice flour. I used to make pasta with wheat semolina all the time but it simply doesn't work with rice. I've tried to find out how they make commercial rice noodles but haven't succeeded.

I have been able to find asian rice noodles here, just not macaroni (or anything tube shaped). The hole in the middle is important for creating macaroni and cheese with the right texture.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Also, In response to an earlier question about soy flour, I don't recommend using it (or any other bean flour) in a rue. I can make a good rue with rice flour but soy flour just doesn't seem to have the right starches in it.

Also, you don't use enough flour of any kind in a Bechamel sauce to be able to significantly enhance the protein content by using soy flour.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
I would modify that to read "Being able to improvise BTW Dagonee, A good homemade Macaroni and Cheese is one of my comfort foods as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a source of gluten free macaroni locally here in Trinidad. Your lead post made me crave the stuff. Way to twist the knife in the wound.
[Frown] I'm sorry.
You're forgiven, [Kiss]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Heh. Good point.

I'd offer to mail you some of the Passover mac'n'cheese, but they're frozen . . . [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

What is the passover mac'n'cheese made from? Is it potato based or something else?

I've been told that rice is considered "Hemetz" by Askenazy Jews but not by Sefartic Jews. What about new world "grains" like quinoa and amaranth?

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
What is the passover mac'n'cheese made from? Is it potato based or something else?

Potato-based.

quote:
I've been told that rice is considered "Hemetz" by Askenazy Jews but not by Sefartic Jews.

Not exactly. Rice and legumes are "kitniyos" -- definitely not chametz, but not used by Ashkenazim on Pesach. (In general -- for infants, the elderly, etc. an exception is made. That would not be the case for true chametz, where it would have to be a life/health risk for an exception.)

quote:
What about new world "grains" like quinoa and amaranth?

Quinoa is debated; some consider it kitniyos. No idea about amaranth.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Rabbit, I know what whoever gets you for next year's gift exchange needs to send you-- gluten-free macaroni!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(rivka, that was fascinating, thanks!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
I had some Mac n Cheese for lunch today. It was rather tasty. This thread made me crave some starting about a week ago. Finally got some. [Big Grin]
Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, In response to an earlier question about soy flour, I don't recommend using it (or any other bean flour) in a rue. I can make a good rue with rice flour but soy flour just doesn't seem to have the right starches in it.

Also, you don't use enough flour of any kind in a Bechamel sauce to be able to significantly enhance the protein content by using soy flour.

It depends on what you mean by significant. It's definitely got more nutrition than refined white flour, and as far as I'm concerned, every little bit helps, even though it's not much. (And I know very well what the nutritional values of my ingredients are.)

As I said earlier, it's good enough for macaroni and cheese. I probably wouldn't use it for something where the bechamel was a more obvious ingredient.

YMMV. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Extremely ignorant question here...

Why is pasta not okay for Passover? All the bags of noodles I've ever bought list "durum wheat semolina, water" as the only ingredients (unless it's specifically noted as egg noodles or rice, etc.). Is it something about the wheat itself? There's no yeast involved, I thought.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who would be better off following a recipe: In general, if you're going to experiment with seasoning, start with a recipe, and modify it. That's a whole lot different than attempting to create a recipe from scratch.

Also, there is theory behind cooking. You can do a fair job if you follow the rules, even if you aren't following a recipe. Just like if you follow music theory you'll get something that sounds like music, even if it's uninspired, it still works. Following a recipe generally ensures that you're following the rules (but it can also be uninspired).

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

EL, if you read the link, you'll see that wheat in forms other than matzoh is not permitted. Or something like that. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
EL, if you read the link, you'll see that wheat in forms other than matzoh is not permitted.

Pretty much. It's actually quite possible to have matza that's not kosher for Pesach. The stuff made all year isn't.

And it's not an ignorant question at all. I know plenty of Jews who grew up in traditional (but not Orthodox) homes who didn't know there was anything wrong with pasta on Pesach.

Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by this thread I tried a new version of macaroni cheese last night.

I used penne instead of macaroni (the larger tubes worked really well). The cheese sauce contained a mixture of medium and mature cheddar with mozzarella and parmesan as the topping.

I added sautéed leeks, mustard and smoked salmon as extra flavour. It was delicious.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you people know how difficult it is to get good cheese here? The best cheese I can get at my local grocery store - the big store - is Parmesan (and it's actually a pretty good quality, too) and processed cheese slices. [Frown]

On another note, thanks to this thread, I tried mashing cauliflower, similar to mashed potatoes, but of course with garlic, green chillies, and red chilli powder added, and even Fahim loved them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I used penne instead of macaroni (the larger tubes worked really well). The cheese sauce contained a mixture of medium and mature cheddar with mozzarella and parmesan as the topping.

I added sautéed leeks, mustard and smoked salmon as extra flavour. It was delicious.

[Hat]

Sounds wonderful.

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
random: this thread makes me happy... (and hungry)
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Quick question, Kettricken: how did you keep the leeks from adding fibrous bits to the sauce?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
On another note, thanks to this thread, I tried mashing cauliflower, similar to mashed potatoes, but of course with garlic, green chillies, and red chilli powder added, and even Fahim loved them. [Big Grin]

Sounds fantastic. I'll have to give that a try.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:

Sounds fantastic. I'll have to give that a try.
Agreed.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite way to mac and cheese is to use pipette shape pasta (from Barilla), extra sharp cheddar (less greasy because you can use less when the cheese flavor is more intense), and hot dogs. I'm telling you, hot dog juice adds so much great flavor to mac and cheese! The pipette pasta is so great at holding sauce inside of it so when you bite down, you get a burst of yummy, warm cheese sauce. Mmmmm. I need to buy more cheese on my next shopping trip so that I can partake of the tasty goodness!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, can you get New Zealand/Australian canned cheese? I've read that the flavor is comparable to cheddar. Cheap cheddar, but cheddar nonetheless.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at our local store, I don't think. Hmm, I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to check again. At the old place we used to shop, we could even get haloumi on a regular basis, but now that we're in another area, we can't. Same chain department store, different stock. Well, in all fairness, the old neighborhood was where the overseas school is that all the diplomats send their children to, so there are a LOT of foreigners there (teachers & other school staff as well as a lot of diplomat families, for example), so it's not surprising that that location had better foreign food selection. *sigh* <whine> I just have such a hard life! *sob* </whine> [Big Grin]

There are places where we can get better cheese, and there's one chain that I can think of that has a decent (decent being a relative term [Big Grin] ) of imported cheeses, but we don't go in that direction very often, and the prices they charge... Yowsa!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quick question, Kettricken: how did you keep the leeks from adding fibrous bits to the sauce?

I don't know what Kettricken did, but when I use leeks as an addition to other recipes, I usually do a fine julienne across the grain on the leeks quartered lengthwise.

---

Edited to add: YUMMY thread

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
when I use leeks as an addition to other recipes, I usually do a fine julienne across the grain on the leeks quartered lengthwise.
What does "across the grain" mean in this context? When I look at leeks, I see two different textures I might call "the grain," each in opposite directions.

Do you mean in the direction that would make rounds if the leeks weren't quartered lengthwise (that is, across the stalk)?

The perils of being self-taught - this is probably well-defined somewhere I haven't come across yet. [Smile]

Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All I did was sliced half a leek in half legthways, then sliced accross and sauteed in a bit of butter until they were soft.

I didn't add them until I was putting it all together just before going in the oven. We didn't notice any fibrous bits - they were just soft pieces of leek.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
quote:
when I use leeks as an addition to other recipes, I usually do a fine julienne across the grain on the leeks quartered lengthwise.
What does "across the grain" mean in this context? When I look at leeks, I see two different textures I might call "the grain," each in opposite directions.
Ah, yes, I should have realized it wasn't clear.

I am doing this from memory, so do correct me if it doesn't make sense.

Leeks have longitudinal ribs, kind of like celery. They are much smaller, much less fibrous, and much harder to see, but they are there. You can see them here -- same grain as for celery.

This is cutting a leek horizontally. I do this first in order to cut off the tough dark green tops. Next I cut off the little stringy roots at the bottom (single thin slice takes care of that). Often the leeks have dirt embedded way down at that end, and it's often kind of hidden. So then I make a vertical cut to halve the leek along its length -- this is perpendicular to the knifecut shown in the above photo. That gives you two long pieces. I do that again (lengthwise) to get four long skinny pieces.

At this point the leaves of the leek are usually separating out. It's easy to rinse them really well now on all sides in a colander, separating with your fingers. You'll probably see some of the dirt that was hidden away.

Then I reorient the pieces of the leaves all lengthwise again and do a fine julienne across that grain I mentioned earlier -- this cut is just like the photo above, although it is on washed and separated leaves. You are cutting across the part where the tough fibrous ribs of the celery would be. You end up with pieces rather like this.

---

A similar process can be found illustrated here. He ends up with more of a dice than a julienne, but it's the same general idea.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Kettricken:
quote:
All I did was sliced half a leek in half legthways, then sliced accross and sauteed in a bit of butter until they were soft.
Yeah, I think most recipes have you wash after halving lengthwise. I am not very good at the wash and usually end up with still-trapped sand, so I halve them again. Most people probably don't need to do that second step.

quote:
I didn't add them until I was putting it all together just before going in the oven. We didn't notice any fibrous bits - they were just soft pieces of leek.
Yes -- they soften and melt down like sauteed onions or celery.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks for the clarification, Kettricken and CT. It makes perfect sense.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]

The leek and potato soup at that last link looked fabulous. That meld of flavors is one of my favorites.

Hmmm. Time to get some leeks.

---

Edited to add: Ooooo, cream of asparagus soup with tarragon. Have a great Moosewood recipe somewhere.

I made a quite nice spring pea soup last night with a mild vegetable broth, frozen sweet peas, salt, and pepper. Just a little dill and lemon juice to round it off after the puree.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Colcannon is my favorite thing to do with leeks.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yum!
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I am not very good at the wash and usually end up with still-trapped sand, so I halve them again. Most people probably don't need to do that second step.

IME, it depends on the batch. Probably on the farm and/or growing soil, I'd guess. Sometimes cutting in half is plenty, and sometimes not making a second cut would mean eating sand. [Wink]

I've never gotten fibrous bits from leeks either. They're yummy in soup. I imagine they'd be lovely in mac'n'cheese.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sometimes if they're really sandy I just separate out the layers before I rinse. Not take them completely out but separated all the way apart. Then rinse, then you have to hold them kind of tightly when you cut, but it works okay, and I like those perfect little half circles. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

I always do that with the top half. The bottom half I like to leave attached to cut.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I hardly ever eat the top half. I just put them in my stock.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently improvised version of pot roast that turned out quite tasty:

3-4 pound chuck roast
1/2 10 oz can diced tomatoes
1 sliced white onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1-2 Tbsp chili powder
1 stalk celery chopped
1/4 tsp coriander
Few dashes of Liquid Smoke

Mixed everything but the meat together, then topped the meat with the mixture, sealed in an oven bag, oven 250F, 6 hours.

The combination of chili powder, smoke, and tomato gave it a rather nice flavor somewhere between BBQ brisket and beef chili, but not strong...Still pot roast-y. Very tender and moist as you'd expect from the long roast with the tomatoes. The onions came out tangy and sweet and tender (but not mushy) and more tempting than is good for one's social benefit.

Would like to cook the meat this way next time I'm getting ready for BBQ beef sandwiches, and let people add BBQ sauce to taste rather than slather the meat in it.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You should put that on the recipe site. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Though I am morally opposed to liquid smoke. [Razz] )
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.