FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA - It's spikey caterpillar season again....

Author Topic: PSA - It's spikey caterpillar season again....
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
So keep an eye out when you're walking under trees, and don't go outside barefoot or in flip flops. And make sure they can't come get you at night while you're asleep.

In fact, let's all wear big heavy shoes and stomp as many as we possibly can in order to reduce the population of nature's most evil crawly thing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=024175
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
But they're so cute!
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNggIGSKH8 . Envenomations from stinging caterpillars
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNggIGSKH8 . Envenomations from stinging caterpillars

That one caterpiller looked like a scruffy dog.
So cute.
Don't smash them! They turn into beautiful moths and I love moths.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE_wVdnTIpQ
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That just looks like someone's toupe that jumped off their head and ran away.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

As long as they continue to fall out of trees and sting people, I will continue to smash them. I am bigger than they are, and they have no interest in peace talks.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what caterpillars you are talking about. I'm too busy running from spiders as big as my palm and skeeter-eaters that are starting to border on dinner plate size.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how on the actual bolivia bug video, the last words are, "DON'T touch it!"
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen or heard of this stinging caterpillars. Are they common in all parts of the US or only some regions?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I've never seen or heard of this stinging caterpillars. Are they common in all parts of the US or only some regions?

I never saw them when I lived in Florida, and apparently they're not as common in other parts of Louisiana as they are in New Orleans. They are vile little things, and when they sting you, they leave behind marks that sort of look like stitches.

They look kind of like this around here.

-pH

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got lots of black, hairy caterpillars around here in Ohio, but I forget what my husband calls them. The chickens don't even seem to like to eat them. Maybe the ducks will have better luck. They don't sting, though.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
It's stories like these that remind me why I love living in Michigan. Nice long cold winter that kills off all the bad bugs. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"We've got lots of black, hairy caterpillars around here in Ohio, but I forget what my husband calls them...They don't sting, though."

Maybe fuzzy wuzzys, which are harmless to hold except to those who are allergic, and preferentially feed on weeds mostly. The GiantLeopardMoth caterpillar also looks suspiciously like the picture pH posted. Another picture at an earlier stage of maturation.

Then again, "...fall out of trees and sting people..." might indicate that pH is looking at an intermediate between the early stage and the full-grown BuckMoth caterpillar, which are definitely poisonous.....though not one of the puss caterpillars.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
It's stories like these that remind me why I love living in Michigan. Nice long cold winter that kills off all the bad bugs. [Smile]

Meh. California has nice weather and very few nasty insects.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
(Except for the Californians.)
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:

Unless you consider mosquitos, chiggers and ticks "bad bugs".
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
"We've got lots of black, hairy caterpillars around here in Ohio, but I forget what my husband calls them...They don't sting, though."

Maybe fuzzy wuzzys, which are harmless to hold except to those who are allergic, and preferentially feed on weeds mostly. The GiantLeopardMoth caterpillar also looks suspiciously like the picture pH posted. Another picture at an earlier stage of maturation.

Then again, "...fall out of trees and sting people..." might indicate that pH is looking at an intermediate between the early stage and the full-grown BuckMoth caterpillar, which are definitely poisonous.....though not one of the puss caterpillars.

Some of them look like the Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar, but I think some of them have yellow stripes instead of red. It will be a few months before they're around, but I'll see if I can get some pictures.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I have no idea what caterpillars you are talking about. I'm too busy running from spiders as big as my palm and skeeter-eaters that are starting to border on dinner plate size.

[Angst]

That's what my nightmares are made of. Caterpillars aren't so bad. I would still squish them if they tried to sting me.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones to which pH refers are the buck moth caterpillars. They are vile creatures that infest this state (Louisiana) that already has too many unpleasant infestations (mosquitoes, giant flying roaches, aggressive wolf spiders, etc) and I do my part to annihilate them every chance I get. I just make sure to do so wearing heavy shoes. I HATE these things.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.