FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » chipotle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: chipotle
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I found out a couple days ago that they built a chipotle relatively close to where I live (New Jersey). I was pretty excited, since I hadn't been to one since I left Denver almost a year ago.

It was a bit different though, first there weren't nearly as many people there as there would be in Denver. I also noticed that the music was noticeably different, I think I prefer the normal mix of music they have. Lastly, when I got my burrito, it was about two-thirds the size they normally were. I'm not terribly upset that it was smaller (I could probably lose a bit of weight anyway), but the fact that it was still the same price was annoying.

Anyway, I'd just like to recommend that people check this restaurant out if they get the chance, which might be easier since they seem to be expanding.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
There was just a hep A outbreak at a Chipotle near me. Other than that, it's good.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Chipotle is great. They're basically In 'n' Out for burritos. You can order a quesadilla, but it isn't on their menu. Their ingredients are all really good quality, and the one near me gives free drinks to students. Good stuff.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
Chipotle is great. They're basically In 'n' Out for burritos. You can order a quesadilla, but it isn't on their menu. Their ingredients are all really good quality, and the one near me gives free drinks to students. Good stuff.

Having never been to California, I wouldn't know what in 'n' out is like. I like to think of chipotle as the subway of burritos.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Jersey? I'm Exit 9.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Relatively, the food quality at a Chipotle is better than that of a Subway. I made the In 'n' Out comparison because of the simplistic nature of the menu.

I'm not huge on In 'n' Out. Very overrated.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to prefer Qdoba, but Chipotle is also fairly good.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Chipotle has far superior guacamole to Qdoba. It's some of the best guacamole I've ever had (including my mother's and she's from Mazatlan Mexico).
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Last time my wife and I were visiting her family in Denver, we got Qdoba and Chipotle for lunch and compared them. If I remember right, we all vastly preferred the Chipotle.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you find yourself going more than once a week, you might want to read up on their nutrition facts. I got a little concerned when I learned their expansion had been serviced by McDonalds, although there is no link between them now.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Chipotle is amazing. There's one right by my campus and they too give free drinks to students. I love it. I can't wait to go back. It's on my list of my first meals back in DC.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
::commits acts of burrito snobbery::
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Okay, but seriously. Chipotle is only good in comparison with other fast food/national "Mexican" joints.

I recommend exploring Burritophile and seeing if you can find something better near where you live/work/visit.

I also recommend ditching burritos and becoming a taco enthusiast. Burritos are tasty, but tacos are divine.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I live in San Diego. [Wink] 'Nuff said.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Tijuana street tacos. Yes, there was a dude a few feet away barking and saying that we were eating dog, but you know, they were so good, I didn't care.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
Okay, but seriously. Chipotle is only good in comparison with other fast food/national "Mexican" joints.

I recommend exploring Burritophile and seeing if you can find something better near where you live/work/visit.

I also recommend ditching burritos and becoming a taco enthusiast. Burritos are tasty, but tacos are divine.

Oh, I agree. I live in Southern California and I will always pick the local shop for authenticity, but a lot of the time when I eat Chipotle it feels less like I'm going to have a heart attack. Even though I know there are still a ton of calories.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Emp, where do you live?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

re: street tacos-- Now there's a great way to catch Hep A, especially in Mexico City
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Jim-Me:

Yeah, I wouldn't do that now. This was in 1990 and I was a clueless teenager.

But they were very good. I started with the shredded pork in a corn tortilla with pickled carrots and onions and ended with the flank steak, cilantro and salsa verde in a flour tortilla.

pooka
Member # 5003

There is a trailer making tacos for a soccer match on our way home from church every sunday now that it's nicer weather. I see them patting the tortillas by hand and think about not breaking the sabbath.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
the flank steak, cilantro and salsa verde in a flour tortilla.

*drools*

that's good stuff right there...

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I'm also a big fan of the classic shredded or ground beef, lettuce and queso in a corn tortilla that is then fried until the tortilla is crunchy. There's a place in Pacheco (Calif.) that serves those. Awesome. They also do a mean chile colorado.
pooka
Member # 5003

I like pork. It's the only meat I really like at Chipotle and there used to be a carne asada stand near my husband's office that we went to once.
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like to think of chipotle as the subway of burritos. [/QB]
Except Chipotle can really advertise healthy choices. Have you seen them prepare their rice? Loaded with butter!
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

You know, somehow they seem a lot more keen on letting me see them grill the meat than showing me how much butter they put in the rice.
Itsame
Member # 9712

The rice doesn't have butter in it. It's vegan.
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Gumby:
quote:
I like to think of chipotle as the subway of burritos.

Except Chipotle can really advertise healthy choices. Have you seen them prepare their rice? Loaded with butter! [/QB]
Well, of course they're different. I was comparing them in the way the food gets constructed, you walk along a sneeze guard and pick out what you want in it from what they show. I like Subway for it's crisp fresh vegetables, and it's dietary menu.

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Where in Jersey? I'm Exit 9.

I'm off Exit 135 on the parkway.
pooka
Member # 5003

Are there really vegans who like to eat at Chipotle? I should think the racks of roasting meat would be a bit of a turn off.
Itsame
Member # 9712

I'm vegan, and I eat there once every few months. Then again, most people on campus eat there a few times a week.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

TAKE THAT BACK!!

Living in vermont i wish i had an In 'n' Out, no one here has ever been to one, or to 7-11, or Wendy's, Panda Express, and so many more... i hate this place! can't they eunderstand i don't like BurgerKing..can't they see it?... can't they?

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Big City Burrito is the best burrito shop there is, at least in my opinion! I think it's way better than Chipotle or Qdoba because I feel my burrito is more customized so it tastes better. There are also more unique items like the potato burrito and the breakfast burrito. The hot sauce bar is a cool feature. It holds probably 30 different bottles of sauce in different brands and spiciness. Anyone who comes to Colorado should definitely try Big City!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
quote:

TAKE THAT BACK!!

Living in vermont i wish i had an In 'n' Out, no one here has ever been to one, or to 7-11, or Wendy's, Panda Express, and so many more... i hate this place! can't they eunderstand i don't like BurgerKing..can't they see it?... can't they?

I will admit, for fast food, they're serviceable. But I hear most people proclaim them as the best burger ever, which they are not. Far from it.

And none of those other places you listed are cream of the crop, either. Try using yelp.com or something, man. I'm sure a good burger's around you somewhere.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chipotle is great. They're basically In 'n' Out for burritos.

.. Can't say I make the same comparison. Chipotle, to me, is a fairly generic chain that serves "mexican" for whitey.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like "mexican" but it's wholly unremarkable food 'round here.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that bothers me about the Chipotle near me is that it's the only place in the town I live where the employees are at all likely not to speak English.

I understand it's not absolutely necessary to speak a lot of English to serve burritos on an assembly line, but when you don't understand "a little sour cream," or "no lettuce," then I'd say you don't qualify to be a server. I speak enough Spanish to order that way, but that would just make me look like a jerk- I shouldn't have to do it.

Also, the salad dressing they have there is DIVINE. You can ask for it in your burrito or on your tacos, and I highly suggest that you do try it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, no good fast-food(haha, reminds me of jumbo-shirp...whats the word for this?) around here, or anywhere near here. I used to visit california when i was younger, it was fast-food heaven there. We don't even have any arcades out here any more, or mini-putt. eh.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
quote:

TAKE THAT BACK!!

You've got to be kidding about Wendy's and 7-11, those are everywhere.
pooka
Member # 5003

I had Chipotle for lunch today. Darn you kids!
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never understood why people think that "authentic" mexican food is so good. It is basically beans and corn tortillas prepared the cheapest way possible. Oh, and an occasional goat...nasty!

It is, I suppose, good cheap food, but doesn't hold a candle to a great steak...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
I have never understood why people think that "authentic" mexican food is so good. It is basically beans and corn tortillas prepared the cheapest way possible. Oh, and an occasional goat...nasty!

It is, I suppose, good cheap food, but doesn't hold a candle to a great steak...

I'm not actually a big fan of a straight up "great steak".

That's a bit oversimplified too, and seeing as how a great steak isn't in the realm of good cheap food, I call shenanigans on your comparison.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:

Clark! That's maybe 20 minutes from my door. I'm by Rutgers.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
The rice doesn't have butter in it. It's vegan.

Correct, the liquid they pour 1/2 a cup or so into the rice is Margarita Mix.

Chipotle rice = white rice, cilantro, salt, sugar, and lime.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You've obviously never had real Mexican food. My husband and I frequent a Mexican/Salvadorian taqueria that is simply out of this world (El Charrito Caminante for anyone in DC). Comparing Chipotle to a good taqueria is like comparing Panda Express to a proper noodle shop in San Francisco's Chinatown. And I do like Chipotle, but it's not the same.

And what's wrong with goat? I typically get a goat taco & a beef taco for dinner for all of $4, which is significantly cheaper than our local Chipotles. It's SOO good. Goat, like lamb, is really bad if it's cooked poorly, but it's probably the tastiest meat (again, with lamb) if cooked well. You can always tell a good restaurant by how they cook their goat/lamb.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

quote:
I'm not actually a big fan of a straight up "great steak".

Wow, me and EmpSquared are like twins in this thread.

By the way, I live in San Francisco, so I mock all your taqueria options. [Razz]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Do I get to mock yours, because I am in SD? [Smile] I don't mock them, I pity them. I pity the foo! Of course, I can only basically have the beans, but still... There's a brilliant vegan restaurant that is east asian/burrito fusion.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the food options here in DC almost as good as those in the Bay Area. Really, all that matters is getting a large enough immigrant population to support real restaurants. There's fewer in number, but those that exist are nearly as good. I'd say any quality issues are more due to having lack of farm-fresh produce than anything else. Prices are higher, though.

Do pity us for lack of In-N-Out.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stuffing my face with food as I read this, and this thread is STILL making me hungrier. I love Chipotle, but I also adore the smaller burrito places we have here. Comparisons are futile as I simply have different moods when it comes to dinner. ("Mmm I want some junk, fake Mexican tonight!" [Smile] )
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

When you ate this "authentic" mexican food were you perchance actually sampling actual mexican "prison" food?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:

Clark! That's maybe 20 minutes from my door. I'm by Rutgers.
That's awesome, I'm assuming that you live by the Newark campus then? What do you do there?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Newark campus? I said Exit 9. That's the New Brunswick campus.

[suspiciously] Are you sure you're from New Jersey? [/suspiciously]

I don't do anything at Rutgers, I just live near there. I'm a night nurse at a nursing home in Hudson County. I live in Middlesex County. And you live in Union County, you Exit 135-er, you! My son goes to high school off Exit 137.

MEC
Member # 2968

Sorry, I reversed the order of exits on the turnpike around exit 11 in my mind.

I live in Westfield for now, though I'll probably move out once I get my associates in Engineering. I've been taking classes part-time at UCC while working in Morristown. I'm not sure where I'll go from here, possibly NJIT.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.