FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » chipotle (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: chipotle
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had "authentic" mexican food. I am not saying it is nasty, but it is not great...

To each his own. Some people really like "authentic" food from Scotland, and Norway too.

I really don't understand the goat thing though. It must be an aquired taste...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I mean it's just that "basically beans and corn tortillas prepared the cheapest way possible" only fairly describes a minimum of real mexican fare.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The most mouth-watering movie I ever saw was "tortilla soup" which demonstrated some high end mexican cuisine. This would be a more valid comparison to a great steak.

If you don't like the cheapest authentic mexican food, it doesn't mean you wouldn't like other authentic mexican food.

cheap mexican tacos compared to Kraft mac & cheese? Or a McDonald's cheeseburger? I'd take the tacos.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you can give the el cheapo eats that much — the mexican menu can go far on a limited budget because it makes such good use of basic foodstuffs.

But the two types of messkin I really like are

1. The kind you get at a genuine mex oasis where they serve margaritas in bell jars and make their own sauces and chile verde to put on everything.

2. the fruity high-end mexican 'fusion' dishes where they export everything that works for mexican food and use it to revolutionize haute cuisine.

This is actually a subject I could blabber on about more than I used to blabber on about politics, so, I best be careful.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I really like Moe's, but what do I know?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.