FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Denver Conference

Author Topic: Denver Conference
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Going for a conference in downtown Denver for the first four days of June or so. A few questions for those that may be in the know, since I've never been to Denver.

1) Any sights to see (particularly useful are those that will still be interesting after a normal workday or so)?
2) Affordable places to do stuff (non-smoky pool halls, arcades, etc.)?
3) Any areas to particularly avoid if I do not want to get shot when jogging at night?

4) Any chance at getting inside Cheyenne Mountain? [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

*bump*
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they close down Cheyenne Mountain? [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a long time since I lived or have been back to Denver. My memory is the Art Museum and the Museum of Nature and Science were good. If you have transportation check out Red Rocks and go up to Lookout mountain. The views are great from there and Buffalo Bill's grave is there. There is baseball close to downtown at Coors Field.

Cherry Creek use to be a good place to run and bike.

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read BannaOj's excelent landmark, I thought of Denver. This might be the place to share that. The Museum of Nature and Science is still a great visit. I was taken there as a young boy. My most vivid memory was of the butterfly collection. I was impressed with a butterfly that had a six foot wing span. Over the years I have shaired that memory with a number of "doubters". A couple of years ago, My family was vacationing in Denver and I took my children. I was really looking forward to confirming my veracity. The butterfly collection was magnificant. However the biggest exibit was a large moth, with enormous wings. But, nothing close to 6 feet. I was a little embarassed, until as we were walking into the next room, A young boy walking in front of us, said to his Father, "Dad, did you see that big butterfly? "It's wings were this big!" He held his arms out in a full spread eagle. Then I remembered, he was just the same age I had been on my first visit. The remembered butterfly had just grown up as I had. Oh, you might want to check the Rockies Baseball schedule. The mile-high stadum is new, clean, and fun. If you are into history, (or Broadway music) the Molly Brown house is also fun. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo uses the name now. It's closer to Colorado Springs. But, I'm sure you can get in.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have to worry about smokey pool halls. They passed a smoking ban. [Grumble]

There's lots of hot springs around, which are very very nice. Don't remember the name of the one I went too, but I loved it. Might be 30 minutes or so outside of Denver. I think it might have been Indian Springs.

www.coloradodirectory.com is probably the best resource for outdoorsy stuff.

I went to a cool rockabilly club last time I visited. Great live bands, dancing and a small pool hall upstairs. I think it was called Skylark (edit: on Broadway next to Alameda) or something. My sister (who lives there) just recommended a place called Gabor's. I haven't been there though.

Also, there are lots of local brewpubs and breweries. Too many to mention by name. (edit: scratch that. Flying Dog is great. And it's got label art by Ralph Steadman which is super cool.)

And of course there's Red Rocks. (edit: which has already been mentioned)

[ May 31, 2008, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Mmmm, like the non-smoky aspect. Good for me, not so good for you though I guess.

I'll be sure to check out the Rockabily club named Skylark, sounds like a good tip. I'll also try to get to the Museum of Science and Nature since that seems to be a common pick, although my ability to get away during work hours may be limited.

Thanks for the tips guys [Smile]

Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not too late, you should check out the Tattered Cover bookstore just outside the 16th Street Mall in Downtown. It's awesome.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Invesco Field! Go Broncos!

I'll be in a cabin the mountains outside of Denver for 2 weeks this August. Can't wait. [Smile]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.