FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidential General Election News & Discussion Center (Page 38)

This topic comprises 68 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  66  67  68   
Author Topic: Presidential General Election News & Discussion Center
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Since when is an superficial beauty a Christian ideal?

You're claiming that God approves of pretty people more? You can tell the elect because they have a BMI of 22 and are over 5'8"? That personal virtue shows itself in designer suits?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe that is why the loonie ultra-feminist left on the left coast hates the Palins so passionately. They both exemplify conservative, Christian ideals of what it means to be a good man and woman, and they look really attractive--sort of living, breathing refutations of the hedonistic, self-first, amoral "ideals" of the above-mentioned LUFL on the LC.
[/QB]

Er? So people hate them because they are physically attractive, religious, and seem to have a good marriage? That's pretty out there. (BTW, why is it ideal to be physically attractive? That seems shallow.)

I've never been clear on these "amoral ideals" the left is supposed to have. As far as I can tell, they are the daydreams of a reactive right who can't figure out how to be happily married to the opposite sex if someone else is happily married to the same sex. I don't have that problem. My husband and I are doing great. He even changes diapers and looks quite manly doing it. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The "beat the good ol' boys" network, ignores the fact that she is steeped in it. She was a director on Ted Stevens' PAC, for crying out loud!
--

On an unrelated note, we had a primary here in MA. Being "unenrolled" I got to pick my ballot. I chose the Democrats ballot. The only wrinkle was the Provost, who was running unopposed. My wife, the night before, had mentioned that he had been caught a month ago stealing change from coffee machines at the office.

So I wrote in this guy instead. Oh wait, maybe this is related. My choice is definitely a handsome devil.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron is conservative he won't realise Mcsame will ruin the country until he has. Conservatives won't change their minds until they realise the world has lied to them.

Edited to remove religious joke

sorry

[ September 18, 2008, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: T:man ]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That smiley does not make your against-the-terms-of-agreement specific-religion-bashing comment okay. You should remove it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I'm trying to reserve judgement on Gov. Palin (and still waiting for someone to even try to make a serious case that she is qualified for the VP slot)....

Chuck Hagel, for one, won't be making that case.

The relevant excerpts:
quote:
"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel said Wednesday in an interview. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."
quote:
Palin has cited the proximity of Alaska to Russia as evidence of her international experience.

Hagel scoffed at that notion.

"I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, 'I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia,'" he said. "That kind of thing is insulting to the American people."

quote:
Hagel offered a couple of caveats on his assessment of Palin: Experience is not the only qualification for elected officials — judgment and character are indispensable.

Washington experience isn't the only kind of experience, Hagel said, and he noted that many White House occupants have been governors with no time inside the Beltway.

"But I do think in a world that is so complicated, so interconnected and so combustible, you really got to have some people in charge that have some sense of the bigger scope of the world," Hagel said. "I think that's just a requirement."

quote:
I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of the United States," Hagel said.
[Edited to add all of the excerpts]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
She's a Barbie that can be trotted out for empty points but not actually taken seriously.

Actually, I think that the "caribou Barbie" meme is dangerous, in that it leads people to under-estimate her.

quote:
If McCain's campaign trusted her to not make a fool of herself, she'd be campaigning by herself.
Mmmm...I don't know. She speaks well, and in most campaign appearances she wouldn't actually be forced to deviate from a predetermined script in ways that would reveal her ignorance or lack of thought on pertinent topics. I think that the real reason why she's mostly been campaigning alongside McCain is that she invigorates crowds in a way that McCain simply does not. Her presence props him up rather than the reverse.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tad nercous about the foreign policy experience of the top of the ticket.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey! Spain is like a Latin American country! In, you know, in some ways.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
'Cuz they speak Latin, right?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh :: I actually just found out that Quayle didn't actually say that when I double checked it atsnopes a second ago. When I started this post I was intending to say that I still couldn't quite believe that he'd actually said it.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mmmm...I don't know. She speaks well, and in most campaign appearances she wouldn't actually be forced to deviate from a predetermined script in ways that would reveal her ignorance or lack of thought on pertinent topics. I think that the real reason why she's mostly been campaigning alongside McCain is that she invigorates crowds in a way that McCain simply does not. Her presence props him up rather than the reverse.
Precisely.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whatever the definition, Americans today score over 110 on average. Stupid grade creep strikes everywhere.

Nothing grade-creepy about this. Much of the world's population is malnourished, and very little of it is educated in test-taking to the extent that Americans are. Those two effects between them are going to make the American average higher than the world average.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

When I was twelve I scored 187, yet I had horrible grades, I'm just an excellent test-taker.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
While Dick Cheney is Vice President President Bush is safe from lunatic fringe assassination, for no person on the far left or the far right wants a President Cheney.

If Senator McCain does win the election, and returns to his more moderate stances, I know that many Lunatic Right will be waiting, hoping, and possibly praying for his passing so that the conservative Palin can take charge.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
She then gave that money to Alaskan citizens--giving each one checks that so far total something like $5,000. Now that's an "economic stimulus package"!

And yet she's still taking earmarked money from the federal government. Maybe less than the last guy, but not none, and not just a little.

How can someone who calls herself a fiscal conservative take a penny from a defecit-spending federal government to use in her own state when her own state has so much spare cash that she can afford to blow it on something as inefficient as rebate checks? And why wasn't that money used to pay down the national debt, or fund the war in Iraq, rather than pay off voters and improve her approval rating?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The other argument is duh, of course she gave them a giant paycheck. Alaska has massive oil revenues to spread amongst a relatively tiny population. They have a small budget with few demands, and a source of revenue that's the envy of a great many states (hell, the envy of some small nations). That's not a particularly impressive accomplishment of hers.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Alaskans were getting energy-money long before Palin took office.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you really got to have some people in charge that have some sense of the bigger scope of the world," Hagel said. "I think that's just a requirement."
You can have a bigger scope of the world without having multiple foreign visa stamps in your passport. Nor do you need to be a Washington insider to have a bigger scope of the world.

I'm fairly certain that a number of Jatraqueros have a bigger scope of the world than ANY of the presidential candidates.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
She's a Barbie that can be trotted out for empty points but not actually taken seriously.

Actually, I think that the "caribou Barbie" meme is dangerous, in that it leads people to under-estimate her.

quote:
If McCain's campaign trusted her to not make a fool of herself, she'd be campaigning by herself.

Zombie + Barbie = win?

....now....an actual zombie Barbie...that would be neat.

Zombie Barbie and Rabid Attack Tortoise in 2008!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

From Obama's recent speech mocking John Mccain's call to fire the SEC chair:

quote:
"In the next 47 days you can fire the whole trickle-down, on-your-own, look-the-other way crowd in Washington who has led us down this disastrous path.
Like-- BIDEN, maybe?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Biden an advocate of trickle down economics? That's usually a Republican thing.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, why is it ideal to be physically attractive? That seems shallow.
I like pretty people.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
you really got to have some people in charge that have some sense of the bigger scope of the world," Hagel said. "I think that's just a requirement."
You can have a bigger scope of the world without having multiple foreign visa stamps in your passport. Nor do you need to be a Washington insider to have a bigger scope of the world.

I'm fairly certain that a number of Jatraqueros have a bigger scope of the world than ANY of the presidential candidates.

I agree with you, but at the same time, the campaign has yet to give any indication that she has sufficient knowledge of the world. The fact that she said she could see Russia from an island in Alaska and that that was a piece of her foreign policy credentials and wasn't kidding strikes me as a pretty huge red flag. Add to that her nonsense about Alaska's energy concerns making her a national defense expert because energy is a national defense issue. There are three or four things wrong with that too.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Is Biden an advocate of trickle down economics? That's usually a Republican thing.

No-- and I don't know that Mccain is either. 'Trickle-down economics' is code for 'scary conservative politics that we don't really care to explain, but it must be bad because Reagan and Bush
1 loved it.'

Biden Kowtows to Credit Card Companies

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think that it's more due to the fact that when they campaign separately she draws much, much larger crowds than McCain does on his own. I can't remember seeing everyone paying nearly this much attention to the VP on the ticket for either party previously.

--Enigmatic

ETA: Somehow I missed that there was a whole other page after the post I quoted. [Blushing]

[ September 18, 2008, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Enigmatic ]

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Those who think Sen. Biden will handle Gov. Palin easily are vastly underestimating Palin. In my estimation she has twice his I.Q., is an extremely fast learner who has been well-prepared by the McCain advisors, she has already shown herself to be very articulate, confident, and poised, and they don't call her "Sara Barracuda" for nothing.

Wow Ron. Do you just, like, believe things because they are "republican?" I mean, anyone who saw the Charlie Gibson interview with Palin would choke on the words: "confident" and "atriculate" not to mention "poised." And what exactly is in it for you to swallow this offal from the Republicans anyway? I would expect that "independent" and "free-thinking" people would have a very easy time of dismissing Palin for the super fly-weight personality she is.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

1876 XD
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Strider, guess what, the earth is round! You're just living on the left side, and you think that is all there is.

Ask the people in Galveston, Texas, and thereabouts, and see if they agree with what you say about the weather being great.

HH Snap! Liberals don't know how to deal with bad weather. Obviously Strider does not care about Black peo.... I mean Texans.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

You might as well claim she runs a two-minute mile, can hold her breath for five minutes, and has calculated the final digit of pi.

I have made projections which indicate that there is a 50% likelihood of that number being between 5 and 9.
Member # 11614

Well I have 100% belief that it is between 1 and 9.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

No-- and I don't know that Mccain is either. 'Trickle-down economics' is code for 'scary conservative politics that we don't really care to explain, but it must be bad because Reagan and Bush
1 loved it.'

No... "Trickle-down economics" is a rather specific term describing policies that favor the wealthy under the premise that they are the ones creating national wealth, and that by doing so the wealth that they generate will "trickle down" to the middle and lower classes, thank you very much.

Like, for instance, McCain's tax plan, which cuts the corporate tax rate of the country which presently collects the fourth-lowest amount of corporate tax revenue in the industrialized world.

You can argue as to whether trickle-down economics works or not, but pinning the term on someone and then claiming it's so vague it can be applied to anyone seems in this case to mostly suggest a lack of research, to put it politely.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

No-- and I don't know that Mccain is either. 'Trickle-down economics' is code for 'scary conservative politics that we don't really care to explain, but it must be bad because Reagan and Bush 1 loved it.'
"Trickle-down economics" is a catch-all phrase that can refer to any economic theory that advocates increasing the wealth of the rich, either individuals or corporations, to benefit the general economy because corporations will then invest more into their companies, hire more people, pay them better, etc. It's not specifically a Republican or conservative theory, but after Reagan and Bush Sr. promoted it heavily the Republican party became tagged with it.

McCain is definitely a proponent of this, as he has fought for over two decades to deregulate Wall Street and favors tax cuts for the rich, despite his new pro-regulation stand of the last 24 hours.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:

That's unfortunate.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What if it's 0?

On a slightly more political point, it looks like Obama's retaken the lead in national polling. And the new Insider Advantage poll has Obama at +10 in Colorado. That's nice to see, but considering that just a couple days ago McCain was at +2ish, I'm wondering if there's not something strange going down there.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest two major things: the financial crisis plays more to Obama's favor, and some of the public are taking a closer look at Palin now that the novelty is wearing off.

[ September 18, 2008, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

What about zero... There is only a 90% probability of it falling between 1 and 9.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:

McCain is definitely a proponent of this, as he has fought for over two decades to deregulate Wall Street and favors tax cuts for the rich, despite his new pro-regulation stand of the last 24 hours.

I stood against pork-barrel spending for 24 hours once. Boy were my legs tired.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

What about zero... There is only a 90% probability of it falling between 1 and 9.
The final digit of pi? Maybe I forgot to carry the 1, but according to my calculations there's a 0% chance that it's anything.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
quote:

The final digit of pi? Maybe I forgot to carry the 1, but according to my calculations there's a 0% chance that it's anything.
[Hail]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
quote:

Our research poles show that most of the people who believe in transcendental numbers are stoned slackers. The earth was created 6,000 years ago, and for some reason that make me feel more comfortable with myself than the idea that the universe is infinitely complicated and inviting of man's expanding knowledge.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our research poles show that most of the people who believe in transcendental numbers are stoned slackers.

We now use the Polish for research? Awesome, where can I get some? [Razz]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
No, we use the Polish for notation.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Our marketing Croatians will get back to you.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
We're going the other way now. Just so you know.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
pinning the term on someone and then claiming it's so vague it can be applied to anyone seems in this case to mostly suggest a lack of research, to put it politely.
Who did this?

My point was that 'trickle-down-economics' has become a code phrase for liberals the way 'liberal media' has for the GOP. Using the term is meant to invoke partisan feelings, not for the purpose of clarifying policy.

No one wants to comment on Obama's gaffe?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No one wants to comment on Obama's gaffe?
Could you be more specific? I browsed back through this page and couldn't figure out what "gaffe" you are referring to.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
From Obama's recent speech mocking John Mccain's call to fire the SEC chair:

quote:
"In the next 47 days you can fire the whole trickle-down, on-your-own, look-the-other way crowd in Washington who has led us down this disastrous path.
Like-- BIDEN, maybe?
This one. Biden is one of the crowd in Washington whose votes have led us down this disastrous path.

As explained here.

Scott R
Member # 567

I don't think I've ever been as disillusioned with politics in America as I am right now.

I didn't expect the GOP to come up with anyone ethical-- none of the contenders for the Presidency really fit the ethical bill. I did not expect such blatant, bald lies, though.

But Obama, I had a lot of hopes for him. I hoped that he would raise the level of political discussion AT LEAST.

It hasn't happened. Instead, he is guaranteeing an oppositional minority in Congress by his conduct in this campaign. This means four more years of the GOP squalling and threatening to filibuster everything. It means no political reconciliation; it means idealogical entrenchment on both sides.

Which is the OPPOSITE of what I was supporting Obama for in the first place.

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Limbaugh, hitting back over usage in ad, says Obama "stoking racism"
From the Fact Check Desk: Obama's New Spanish Language TV Ad Es Erróneo

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 68 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  66  67  68   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.