FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Euro 2008 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Euro 2008
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone watching the Euro 2008 football games? Or taping/tivoing/dvring them, given the afternoon timing?

My husband, Abhi, is an Italy supporter, while I don't have any strong ties to any of the teams. I wouldn't mind seeing Portugal do well, though, and I'm rooting for Austria & Switzerland since they're the hosts and underdogs.

The Italy vs Netherlands game is just now wrapping up, and it looks like it's going to be a shutout, 3-0 for the Dutch. Quite a blow for Italy, given that they were the World Cup winners two years ago. And, while the first goal was scored by a player blatantly offsides, the second & third were just excellent play by the offensive side. Italy looks outclassed.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Is anyone watching the Euro 2008 football games? Or taping/tivoing/dvring them, given the afternoon timing?

My husband, Abhi, is an Italy supporter, while I don't have any strong ties to any of the teams. I wouldn't mind seeing Portugal do well, though, and I'm rooting for Austria & Switzerland since they're the hosts and underdogs.

The Italy vs Netherlands game is just now wrapping up, and it looks like it's going to be a shutout, 3-0 for the Dutch. Quite a blow for Italy, given that they were the World Cup winners two years ago. And, while the first goal was scored by a player blatantly offsides, the second & third were just excellent play by the offensive side. Italy looks outclassed.

There was an Italian player down inside the goal--to me, this makes the play on-sides and the goal legit.

The Dutch have a knack for imploding at the worst time. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against Romania and France.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Yeah, Fusiachi, I was listening closely to the commentators on the rule regarding players off the field after the game. I do think it's an odd situation. I'm not sure if you can count that player who was down as "deliberately" off the field (which would make it not offsides) - he got a pretty hard accidental hit from the goalie. But if it was ruled as offsides that would certainly give a bit of an incentive for defenders to "fall" off the field when they get injured in the scuffle. So I'm a bit ambivalent about it.

Either way, though, I don't think the goal was decisive in the game. Sure, I'm sure it turned the momentum, but, despite a few good shots on goal, Italy just wasn't playing at the level of the Dutch. Abhi will disagree, I'm sure. It was a fun game to watch - especially since he's at work and wasn't moaning in my ear. [Smile]

Any thoughts on the games tomorrow? I really don't follow any of the teams in Group D, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Rootin for Portugal and Netherlands! Pretty psyched about the win, sorry about Italy though. [Big Grin] van Persie is amazing, even in the fifteen minutes he played for Holland he did great, Hope he's fit for the whole game against France [Wave]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
im watching the games. i saw germany win. looking forward to the france/italy game, cuz you know both teams will win their first game. overall im cheering for germany.

i watched some of the Croatia game

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching the tournament, although the French-Romania nearly put me to sleep. We're playing like crap, but the French didn't do any better. And after seeing how the Dutch and the Italians played, I think those two sides have the greatest chance of making it to the quarterfinals. The Dutch were simply sublime, but the Italians didn't play as bad as the score says either.

From other groups I like Germany and Spain (although Spain is a constant underachiever at final tournaments). I'll keep an eye on Portugal too.

[ June 10, 2008, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
England isn't even in it and it's still all over the TV. I'm sure Europe won't miss the England fans. [Wink]

I'm not a big footie fan, but apparently most people here are meant to be supporting Poland or wherever their favourite immigrant player or neighbour comes from instead, which is nice.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dutch and the Germans are my teams this year.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Germany wins it. Just because they have Podolski and Kloze... ;p
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
Germany wins it. Just because they have Podolski and Kloze... ;p

and Ballak and Schweisteiger (Germany has a good squad) [Wink]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'll be cheering for Greece. I have fond memories of the mini-riot we took part in (in Chicago) after they won 2004. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rooting for Polska! It bums me out that so many Polish-born players play for the German side though.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Yay for Ibrahimovic!
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Anybody watch the Spain Russia game?
i was real curious why they didnt start Fabregas. He won the youth player of the year award and is crazy good. (Torres is all hype, David Villa is the man!)

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, so much for that side. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
Anybody watch the Spain Russia game?
i was real curious why they didnt start Fabregas. He won the youth player of the year award and is crazy good. (Torres is all hype, David Villa is the man!)

Fabregas is very good, but he doesn't fit well into Spain's game, and they have more talented midfielders anyways. Fabregas is slow on the ball and is at his best when he is the playmaker. In Spain, they're all about the counterattack and moving it up with speed and one-touch passing.

I heard the coach said he'll be starting as soon as he gets in better form, but I think they're better off with their current midfield lineup.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a sports bar, and the crazy rush of Europeans who swarmed in and demanded the game be put on all screens with the sound on took the whole restaurant aback on Sunday. I don't remember them being this crazy four years ago, but I can hardly blame them. I just got done being that crazy when the hockey finals ended.

I mildly root for France, just because it's where my ancestry dates back to. But I can't say I really care.

One thing I do find rather fascinating, is that if you actually watch some of the games and listen to the announcers, you see that the different nations have really diverse and different styles of play. It's something you really don't see as much in sports like baseball, American football or basketball, though to somewhat of a degree on hockey. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study linking the style of play of different nations to something about that nation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mostly supporting the Dutch. Last night I had the dubious pleasure of watching the Spain - Russia match. I'm not convinced that the socreline was a far representation of the quality of the two teams - but that's football...

One aspect ofthe game I did enjoy was the referreeing. I thuoght the man in yellow did a great job at keeping the gaen going and not falling for the diving tactics of one or two players. He had a couple of tricky decisions, but I though he played them well.

To be honest, Spain have one of the most capable midfields in the tournament (I'm a heavily predujiced Xabi Alonso fan) and when you couple that with Torres and Villa there are going to be goals.

Good luck to them, but I'm staying with my mates the Cheese Heads...

In response to your query Lyrhawn, I think there is a noticable difference national 'styles'. The Dutch have always played a considered pasing game, the Italians fall over at the slightest provocation, the English play well, then get knocked out (or don't even qualify) and spend the whole tournament moaning... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can find a schedule for the round robin on line?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

The Portugese showboat and make simple plays look complicated...(mostly Ronaldo and Quaresma)
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Spain/Russia game when it was replayed. I don't know if that was a particularly good match or if my expectations are low since I usually watch MLS, but it was pretty to watch. Very pretty.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Rabbit, the BBC has a pretty good schedule page - you can see it listed day-by-day, or by group, or whatever.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jhai, Now I just need to find when they are being broadcast locally.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Do you have ESPN2? If so, go here.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

YAY Portugal win [Big Grin] Deco had a great game, and ronaldo is a natural attakcer. There were a couple times when is seemed scary because Portugal's midfielders don't like to play defence. GO Portugal and Holland!
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Switzerland v Turkey. A good passionate game with a fine result, which I won't spoil for those who are in a different timezone.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

umm ... i thought all the games were live, oh wait, are they replaying them so people can watch the ones that are at strange times? (i only watch the live ones)
pssst. what was the score of the Switz/Turkiye game? [Wink]

Jhai
Member # 5633

LargeTuna, they replay them here in the States in the evening, I think, as well as showing them live. Just go to the BBC link I posted above to see the score.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
GOLTV is a beautiful channel.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bootjes
Member # 11624

- posted      Profile for bootjes           Edit/Delete Post 
and 4 to 1 against france just now.
The colour orange is getting pretty dominant around here. (today I saw dogs wearing orange t-shirts)

Posts: 129 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

And we kind of have to beat those guys to qualify... (Ok, we qualify with a draw if France - Italy is also a draw...) The upside is that the Dutch are now qualified, and in first place for sure, so they should be less motivated. The downside is that they're Dutch, and will continue to play even if qualified. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Italy kinda got cheated on that offsides call early on. I really don't understand why they don't use technology to review the close ones. I understand not wanting to slow down play, but when the ball has been shot, play has stopped anyways. If they had another ref watching the camera, he could immediately signal if there seemed to be an issue with the call, and they could stop game play for a minute for the head ref or linesman or whatever to hustle over to the sideline to review the tape.

Still, I think both the games today were pretty good - and the Dutch are looking amazing. Clear favorites in the betting pools now, I bet.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Yeah, both the guy who scored and the one who was in front of the goalkeeper were onside. We were lucky I guess that the referee missed it... And I agree about using video reviews, especially for the decisive situations. It's stupid that they don't when it would take a few seconds to check things out, and as you said in the most important situations the ball will be out of play anyway (after a false offside, or a missed offside leading to a goal, etc).
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Go Brilliant Oranje
Bisbigliando
Member # 11646

- posted      Profile for Bisbigliando           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend stopped by and saw that I was watching Netherlands v. France. I got the standard, "But nothing ever happens in a soccer game" complaint. A minute later, that minute French/Dutch goal exchange happened. I think we may gain another fan!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bootjes
Member # 11624

and everything is getting oranger and oranger.

orange wigs
orange wooden shoes
orange windmills
orange schoolbags on flagpoles (highschool exams)
orange cakes
orange bread
orange tea
I can have a complete orange breakfast with even orange juice!

Posts: 129 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Fussball ist wie Schach, nur ohne Würfel. -- Lukas Podolski
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Oh yeah, saw that on eurosport.com. Laughed my ass off.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by bootjes:
and everything is getting oranger and oranger.

orange wigs
orange wooden shoes
orange windmills
orange schoolbags on flagpoles (highschool exams)
orange cakes
orange bread
orange tea
I can have a complete orange breakfast with even orange juice!

I'm eating an orange Popsicle right now.
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Fussball ist wie Schach, nur ohne Würfel. -- Lukas Podolski

Chciales napisac: Pilka nozna jest jak szachy, tylko bez szachownicy - Lukasz Podolski [Smile]

Btw. please, lose against Austria. Please do. We should have won but the referee was bought.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

What a turnaround from Turkey! I was sure the Czecks got the match in the bag at 2-0... Then I figured they'll win it on penalties. And then nothing. [Smile] What a comeback...
Jhai
Member # 5633

Turkey should have won - they were making all the challenges, especially in the second half.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Only game I've managed to catch thus far was Austria V Poland. That penalty at the end was heartbreaking for the Poles I'm sure, but the guy should have kept his hands off the Austrian.

The fact it happened in extra time is even more frustrating I'm sure as all Poland had to do was hold onto the ball.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Turkey should have won - they were making all the challenges, especially in the second half.

Yeap. It's strange that in the first half, even if the Turks had more possession, it was still the Czechs that seemed to control the match. And then in the second half it was like two completely different teams were playing.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, we suck, and the French are no better. Italy and Netherlands qualify, Italy struggling but still there (as always), Netherlands in brilliant fashion, easily winning against us with their B team.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Eurosport.com: Early Doors

quote:
COMING UP: It's another winner-takes-all scenario in Group D as Sweden take on Russia for the right to get trounced by the Dutch.

Jhai
Member # 5633

Hehehe.

The Dutch really have an embarrassment of riches this year, Corwin, you shouldn't feel bad for not winning against their "B" team. There are plenty of other teams that would love to have half of the B players.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Oh, I don't feel bad. Romania hasn't really shown much in this tournament. Defense was our strong point against Italy and France, but we were almost certain that we needed to win at least one match to qualify. Our coach showed no intention to switch to a more attacking strategy when needed, and our players simply didn't look motivated. Look at what the turks did in the last 15 minutes against the Czechs, coming back from 2-0 to win in the dying minutes. That's motivation! I would have been happier had they scored even one goal, but they didn't manage to create any clear chances to test the Dutch reserve goalkeeper. So yeah, we're not final eight material this time, better to lose, realize we have work to do, and come back next time.
bootjes
Member # 11624

hup holland hup
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, I guess the Germans had to start playing at some point. [Wink]

And the Turks are incredible. They just came back in the dying seconds of extra time to equal 1-1 and go to penalties. They're just about to start. Third time they come back at the end of the game, lets see if they can go all the way in this one.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.