FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thoughts on ST: Nemesis

Author Topic: Thoughts on ST: Nemesis
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever entertained the possibility that "B4" is really Lore?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite frankly, I don't think B4 was anything more than a cheap way to

(SPOILER, on the off chance you haven't seen the stupid movie)

bring Data back from the dead if the movie did well and they found they were actually in the position of making another one.

Nemesis is not a movie that's worth burning out a lot of neurons over, quite frankly.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Nemesis was the first of anything to do with Star Trek I ever saw and what got me into Science Fiction.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen it.

Don't care to.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Anyone ever entertained the possibility that "B4" is really Lore?

You would have to assume that Data didn't do a competant job of dismantling Lore at the end of the Lore/Rogue Borg episode.

I don't think there's any reason to think that.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There was no such movie.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall anything that would suggest that he could be, although the fact that no one even mentioned Lore in the entire film is somewhat puzzling.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
There was no such movie.

Well that's what happens when you're stupid enough to release one week before The Fellowship of the Ring. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sterling on B4, and I can't imagine anyone didn't think that when they saw the movie.

Nemesis had the sweetest graphics of any of the movies, as far as the battle scenes are concerned (which were pretty cool)

Plot wise? It's beyond weak, and frankly made very little sense to me when I first saw it. First Contact was always my favorite, followed closely by Generations. I liked Insurrection as well but not as much. If Nemesis is how they were hoping to relight a fire under the series, it was a pretty awful attempt.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nemesis also had Wesley Crusher.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
But his line was cut.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Actually Nemesis was the first of anything to do with Star Trek I ever saw and what got me into Science Fiction.

...Then it did some good, I guess... But I still don't think it's a particularly good example of either Science Fiction or Star Trek. Maybe a little better than Insurrection in my book, if only because the latter actually had cast members saying in interviews "You know, that really doesn't make sense if you think about it..."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
B4 was a cheap shoddy plot device cum macguffin inserted into what was among the worst of all the star trek movies, if not the worst. I doubt they gave much thought to the potential lore.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
There was no such movie.

Well that's what happens when you're stupid enough to release one week before The Fellowship of the Ring. [Big Grin]
I rented it. I couldn't finish it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
No but seriously Nemesis was pretty freaking terrible.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It was terrible, but it did have the best space battle graphics.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought Nemesis was okay, but whatever... [Dont Know]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I agree with Sterling on B4, and I can't imagine anyone didn't think that when they saw the movie.

Nemesis had the sweetest graphics of any of the movies, as far as the battle scenes are concerned (which were pretty cool).

Best graphics, maybe. I'd argue strongly that in terms of cinematography, pacing, and editing (not to mention understanding that space battles involve more than two dimensions), the battle scenes in "Wrath of Khan" are far and away the best action sequences of any of the Star Trek films. Really, they should be considered required viewing for anyone looking to film tense, thrilling, and intelligent scifi action, Star Trek-affiliated or otherwise.

It should probably be noted at this point that "Nemesis" was designed from the outset to evoke (some would say "rip off") "Wrath of Khan," using the TNG crew. Its failure, I think, is made all the more glaring considering the quality of its source material. Whereas "Wrath of Khan" was a masterpiece of character-centric military scifi that used the advancing age of its leads as thematic material to mine, and remains the darkest of the Star Trek films in tone, "Nemesis" was a rote mindless action flick with only one genuinely cool moment- the ramming sequence. Picard and company really deserved better.

Also, if we include sources from outside the movies, the Dominion War from DS9 blows everything from the films away. The CGI is somewhat dated at this point, but nowhere else in Trek will you ever see real fleet actions involving hundreds of starships. I'd take five minutes of war footage from "Sacrifice of Angels" over the comparatively puny climactic battle sequence in "Nemesis" (oooh, four whole ships!!!), any day.

[ July 03, 2008, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Tarrsk ]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.