FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your favorite fruit? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's your favorite fruit?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to the mango. But I also love grapefruits and watermelons.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I've tried mango several times, I've drunk mango juice, and there's something that makes it not quite enjoyable... Oh well, plenty of other fruit to enjoy.

As for my favorites: nectarines, strawberries, raspberries, pineapples. But I actually like most fruit anyway.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I bought a mamey, which I've never tried before. I was afraid to cut it up and eat it yesterday, because I couldn't tell if it was ripe. But I asked around at work, and I am assured that it is ripe and ready to eat, so I'll eat it tomorrow.

They tell me that they are delicious.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Peaches, raspberries, and grapefruit. Those are definitely my favorites. I like mango too, but only if I dice it and put lime juice, salt and chili powder on it.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the forbidden kind.

Or failing that strawberries.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't hear of a mamey before. So I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out there's a mamey sapote and a mammey apple. I'm going with [url]mamey sapote[/url] for now. [Smile]
quote:
The melon's flavor is variously described as a combination of pumpkin, sweet potato, candied yams, maraschino cherries with the texture of an avocado.
...and that sounds a bit bizarre. Of course, I would try it anyway because I'm just like that.

The mammey apple, on the other hand, is a relative of the mangosteen, which happens to be one of my favourite fruits, although I've only had it once (on a drive with the whole fam damily down to Galle).

Tante, please let me know what you think of it after you've tasted it. [Smile]

I also love mango, papaya, bananas (specifically the sweet short stubby finger bananas that grow here), peaches, and, really, a whole bunch more. And speaking of which, I've got a ripe papaya downstairs that needs to be eaten. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be impossible to pick a single one. Golden delicious apples, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, nectarines, oranges and the purple grapes.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was all about mangoes a few years ago, but lately they haven't done much for me. Maybe I just haven't had a good one for a while. They always seem to be overripe.

I guess my favorite now would be a nice, crisp fuji apple, though I also love blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, monkberry moon delight, etc.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The only peaches I like are the canned ones and the UFO ones. Though I tend to take the peels off of the UFO ones, because they're a little bitter.

Cherimoyas are one of the best fruits ever. If you haven't tried one, you're missing out.

Persimmons are amazing. I had my first one last year, and completely fell in love.

I'm a big fan of bananas, and I like tangelos and clementines. I like pineapple and cantaloupe, but too much of them makes my mouth sting.

Back in Israel, we had melons that were just called "melons". They look like cantaloupe on the outside, and they taste like cantaloupe (only better), but they're green on the inside, rather than orange. Like a cantaloupe pretending to be a honeydew. And they're much smaller than cantaloupes. Maybe half the size. I wish we could get them here...

And cherries. Yum! The red kind, the yellow kind... I don't care. I love them.

And avocados... I know they aren't usually thought of as fruit, even though they are, but they're amazing.

I hate mangos and other similar tropical fruits. They always taste like something's spoiled to me. I'm not sure why.

My favorite apples are Braeburns, but I got put off from apples a little after I almost gave myself cyanide poisoning with them last year.

[ July 04, 2008, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In a perfect world where they are always in the perfect state of ripeness, there is nothing like a peach. And strawberries. Or the two together with skin milk on top. Oh my heavens.

In the real world, I like Pink Lady apples - consistent quality, and definitely yummy.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Raspberries are my favorite, I think (with cream drizzled on top). Followed by blackberries (my absolute favorite for any kind of pie or tart), peaches, red grapes, pomegranates, Clementine oranges...I'm kinda on the fence about strawberries, they have to be perfect before I'll bite into them (but at that point, there's nothing like a beautiful little dark red strawberry), followed up by a good apple--fugis are good, but I once helped partake of a crate of Golden delicious apples that were actually golden and delicious, and they were devine. Very sweet.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fruit, bar none, is a Macintosh apple. However, I'm very allergic to them. So, leaving out all the many yummy fruits that trigger my allergies, I think I'd have to say watermelon.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
I like the forbidden kind.

Is that the kind that comes from a loom?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I haven't hear of a mamey before. So I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out there's a mamey sapote and a mammey apple. I'm going with [url]mamey sapote[/url] for now. [Smile]
quote:
The melon's flavor is variously described as a combination of pumpkin, sweet potato, candied yams, maraschino cherries with the texture of an avocado.
...and that sounds a bit bizarre. Of course, I would try it anyway because I'm just like that.
Yup, that's the one. We'll eat it tomorrow, with lunch.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Cantaloupe. Yum.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I like most fruits, but would rather eat an orange than an apple, red grapes over green. Since I've moved to Hawaii, the only bananas I'll eat are apple bananas.

I despise persimmons and figs - including any baked goods incorporating them.

I'm especially partial to the "summer fruits" as my mother called them - peaches, nectarines, melons of any description (although I would never eat anything that was described as pumpkin/sweet potato/candied yams).

I've always preferred fruits over most candies and used to spend my allowance in the produce section while my siblings were off on the candy aisle. I usually select a dessert with fruit in it at nice restaurant, and usually use fruit and/or fruit syrup on pancakes and waffles.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Honeycrisp apples. They are the greatest man-made fruit ever.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had anything that beats a perfectly ripe nectarine, of the variety that easily separates from the pit. (I have a low tolerance for frustration when eating my fruit. [Big Grin] )

But fresh ripe strawberries are right up there. Never had any from a store that rate. Homegrown seems to be the only way to go.

I like nearly all fruit though. Figs are an exception...and I can't stand to bite through the fuzz on a peach, so I don't usually eat them (peeling them tips my frustration scale).

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Lisa, look here:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Fruitmel.html

"Ogen melon" is supposed to be from Israel. Maybe you can find it under that name.

"Galia melon" also looks like a likely candidate.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
I despise persimmons and figs - including any baked goods incorporating them.

Oh, I forgot figs and dates. Yum!!! I particularly like fresh dates. The dried ones are okay, but nothing special.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
While far from complete, here's an awesome graph inspired by an XKCD comic about grapefruit. You can vote, and your votes are averaged with other voters to create a graph showing the relative tastiness and ease of consumption of the fruits on the graph. mmmm. fruits.

On topic, I love whatever fruit is in season, basically, with the slight exception of things I haven't had much, like persimmons, but I'm willing to bet I'd at least someone like them if someone said here, this persimmon is perfect. (I doubt the quality of persimmons I have had)

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Lisa, look here:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Fruitmel.html

"Ogen melon" is supposed to be from Israel. Maybe you can find it under that name.

"Galia melon" also looks like a likely candidate.

I'm guessing that the Ogen is it. I doubt I can get them in Chicago, though, and they'd hardly be in the best shape if I could. But thanks.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ripe persimmons are the most luscious things ever. They are softer than you can believe an edible fruit can be, and sweeter than any fruit I know.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mangoes -- but the little yellow ones are far superior to the big green/red ones.

Persimmons -- definitely the fuyu, not hachiya. Although those are good for baking. But I dislike eating them out of hand -- they're either not ripe enough (and your mouth tries to turn itself inside out) or they're overripe and squishy. Fuyus have a much wider window of edible deliciousness.

Cherries!!! And raspberries! And blueberries.

Strawberries are lovely, as is fresh pineapple.

Fresh figs are wonderful. Dried are good, but not nearly as good as fresh. Fresh dates are also quite good.

Jon is right about honeycrisps.

But my absolutely favorite fruit is the lychee. And I'm fresh out!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I love the lychee -- so juicy and perfumed.

Although it is easier to get a consistently edible fuyu persimmon, a perfectly ripe (what you call overripe and squishy) hachiya surpasses the best of the fuyus.

My Filipino friends tell me that English lacks the word for the taste of an unripe persimmon. There is a word for it in Tagalog -- something like "mapaclat".

I love what happens when you combine grapefruit with a fruit that plays an opposite role. I think grapefruit and pineapple are perfect together, especially as juice. The pineapple provides the sweetness, and the grapefruit the complexity. I also adore a salad or soup of grapefruit and avocado. The creamy richness of the avocado plays against the juicy tang of the grapefruit. Cold avocado grapefruit soup is a summertime pleasure.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Blueberries: Fresh or frozen, no matter. I've eaten pounds of them at a time.

Lemons: Love the taste. Sourness doesn't bother me, I quite enjoy it.

Limes: Same thing, but slightly harder to eat then lemons.

Fresh strawberries, especially if I pick them myself.

Grapefruit: I'll eat them compulsively if they're in the house.

Clementines/Satsumas: Same thing.

Peaches/Nectarines: I prefer the nectarines though.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all persimmons. I adore a cherimoya (not overripe cherimoya though, that's nasty!) I love cherries, especially the Mt. Reineer variety (yellow with blush coloration when ripe, rather than red or black.) Avocados. Pears (especially D'Anjou.) Apples. Setsuma tangerines. Plums. Nectarines. Peaches (if peeled.) Canteloupe. Dried fruit of many kinds. Really, it's hard for me to think of many I've tried but don't like-- figs (except in baked goods), raspberries (though in some forms they are tolerable), and papaya are the only three that come to mind immediately (though I am not trying that stinky fruit, the one that starts with d, what is that called? And I have to be in the right mood for a banana.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thought of another-- blueberries. I like them cooked but not raw, not at all.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The mango is far and away my favorite fruit, but I can't actually think of any variety of fruit that I've ever actually disliked. If I could meet my nutritional needs eating nothing but fruit, and could afford to do so, I'd probably be willing to give it a go.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

KQ, you're thinking of the durian.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The banana has always been my favorite but lately I've learned how to choose avocados and how to tell when they're ripe, and now they're a huge favorite! Mmmmm, avocados with salt are so great!

I tried a slice of a Fuji apple recently and it was heavenly. One more fruit I've tasted recently for the first time is fresh pineapple and it's also glorious. I had only ever had canned before.

I do love pears and apples and cantaloupe, but mostly I can't eat fruit because it's too sweet for me. One banana a day pretty much maxes out my carb allowance.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cantaloupe the most. Especially with salt.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
STAR fruit they are perfect, but they are never ripe here in chicago. Only in Hawaii.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sometimes you can get them ripe in L.A., too. I wouldn't know about Chicago.
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
My taste in fruit tracks my taste in women.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Although it is easier to get a consistently edible fuyu persimmon, a perfectly ripe (what you call overripe and squishy) hachiya surpasses the best of the fuyus.

I have had perfectly ripe hachiyas. Trouble is, is is an ephemeral state -- each fruit reaches it for about 15 minutes. Tops. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
My taste in fruit tracks my taste in women.

So many possible responses! *head asplode*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
I tasted my first Peruvian fruit last night.

Most fruit tastes the same to me, so I pick what looks good instead.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

We ate the mamey today. The flesh is deeply red-orange -- about like a red papaya -- fine-textured, and firm. It is not a juicy fruit, but it is very sweet. It does have a bit of a sweet potato taste, and a cherry flavor, but the most prominent flavor for me was almonds. My friends say that it is OK to eat plain, but best in milkshakes. I bet it would make an awesome milkshake.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. Thanks for reporting back. [Big Grin] If I ever get the opportunity, I'll make sure to give it a try. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Pomelo. Hands down. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Cloudberries, Blackberries, Watermelon (in roughly that order).
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
This goes in this thread. Small bit of profanity, but the humor makes up for it!
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cloudberries? I've never heard of them!

:: off to google ::

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fruit to eat is a cherry (not the pure red kind but the ones that look like a mix between light yellow and red).

My favorite fruit juice is mango juice by far.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Raspberries. They are growing wild in my neighbour hood.
I keep picking them. Sometimes out of people's front yards and off the side of the railroad tracks.
I think more are growing in other places. I've been here for 6 years and didn't know this.
There are also blueberries and blackberries growing behind stop and shop. They are not ripe yet.
I love florida navel oranges, apples, with a soft texture, especially galas, I adore cherries, avocadoes, seedless grapes, greeny-yellow bananas. Plums and pluots are nicce too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Plums, blackberries, apricots.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Mangoes are good. Made some mango with coconut sticky rice a little while back, and that's ambrosial.

Coconut: also very good, and versatile, though obviously fattening.

Raspberries and strawberries in season. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory put me off blueberries as a kid, and I'm still recovering.

Bananas are good, especially in bread or smoothies.

Nectarines and peaches are probably the best for eating on their own, after the berries.

I always enjoy apples and oranges, but I never really crave them, or think, "yes! An apple would be the perfect thing right now!" That said, I really love satsuma mandarins, especially the easy-peel kind.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Coconut, fattening? I've heard eating a lot of coconut is a great way to lose weight.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps if you have to crack it first...
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
"yes! An apple would be the perfect thing right now!" That said, I really love satsuma mandarins, especially the easy-peel kind.
I have thought that about apples, though at the time I was pregnant and it was one of the few fruits I had NOT just gotten at the store. Of course. [Wink]

As for Satsumas... Satsumas are a very specific kind of tangerine (mandarin.) The peel is the same on all Satsumas. (Yes, it is pretty easy to peel.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.