FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Here's my new website, where's yours?

Author Topic: Here's my new website, where's yours?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who was still checking chrisbridges.com (Halloo? Anyone?) may now find me at cabridges.com. Both addresses work, actually, but the second one will be the one pushed as that's what I'm writing under most of the time.

The new site is on a faster host and I took the opportunity to collect as much of my writing from the various strange places it's been spread and dumped it all here, so there's a lot to wade through. Still working on organizing it to make specific things easier to find.

This now brings me back down to three ongoing sites:
cabridges.com - personal site, catchall for everything, the rambling you used to see at my weekly column
savehiatus.com - the biweekly webcomic I write and Adam Levermore-Rich draws
serenitystuff.com - merchandise by and for browncoats

Plus the assorted obligatory social sites.

So where do you hang your virtual hat?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
My blog:
http://www.brainclouds.net/Darklight/

My company (just re-did the website like 10 minutes ago):
http://www.dlimedia.com/

My creation:
http://www.brainclouds.net/

...not to mention twelve other ARG sites I don't want to mention for game reasons.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm doing a website for my class reunion. I'm playing around with it before getting the class involved. We have a free website through classcreator.com, but I don't like their message forum system - it looks like messages are just posted one after another with no rhyme or reason. (As if all the messages here were listed together instead of separate threads.)

It's a lot different than what I'm used to: either using html or just using something like my blog through Blogger.

So, I'm a little proud of my class website, even though there's not much there yet. And it will probably be an impossible task to get the people who have already signed up for the free site to change over. [Wink] We'll see how it goes.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Nighthawk:

The Papyrus Lite is beautiful, but it makes me feel stupid because I have no idea what to do. [Frown]

But I signed up for brainclouds. I have an idea for a website for a local nonprofit that this might work for.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
My blog and hub, also contains a couple of short stories I'm working on and will also contain various essays I've written -- when I feel like they're ready to be published: http://www.theroadgoeson.com

A Multi-User Dungeon I'm developing (it's currently in the alpha stages for version 3 and so it's completely inactive while I pound away at the code): http://www.me-mud.org

A West End Games Star Wars site I'm working on: http://starwars.theroadgoeson.com

[ July 09, 2008, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
Nighthawk:

The Papyrus Lite is beautiful, but it makes me feel stupid because I have no idea what to do. [Frown]

It's a traditional puzzle, similar to those used in modern day "alternate reality games", that uses a few cyphers.

I still need to post the solution site, but the regulars at the ATRG site I visit (unFiction) solved it together in IRC in under sixteen minutes.

Maybe seeing the original puzzle will help... [Big Grin]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Anyone who was still checking chrisbridges.com (Halloo? Anyone?) may now find me at cabridges.com. Both addresses work, actually, but the second one will be the one pushed as that's what I'm writing under most of the time.

Do you have an RSS feed for cabridges.com?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Hey, Chris, what's a good email to reach you?
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I finally went ahead and created my own personal website. I decided to try drupal, which is even more difficult to learn (for me) than wordpress, which is what I'm using for my class reunion site. It appears to be more flexible, once you get the hang of it, but I'm having a hard time right now.

I need drupal for dummies, but they don't have that one yet.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My neglected personal website: www.joeicarus.com
My blog is linked to from there.

My really neglected math website: www.celebrationmath.com

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Holy crap, you've been writing all that and I didn't know about it?!?

I need to beef up my blog, apparently...

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, missed the questions.

RSS feed for cabridges.com: http://cabridges.com/feed

You can contact me through the e-mail in my Hatrack profile, or through a contact page which I shall shortly make on the site because I can't believe I forgot to add one.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why not just click on the RSS logo on the address bar?

<-- RSS ignoramus

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently started a blog on intercultural relationships that's going pretty well: http://gorigirl.com. There's a strong South Asian influence on the topics, 'cause apparently that's the type of relationship all my readers are in, but I'd love for any of you to stop by, whether you're in an intercultural/interraicial relationship or not.

Also, there's some really cute pictures of our new puppy, Kajol, up now. She's learning all her commmands in English & Bengali.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.... I still had you at This Site, Chris, and didn't find that I had any of these others in my bookmarks. (they are now!)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
Hey, I'm doing a website for my class reunion.

Carol - is there a reason you don't have anywhere on that site the fact that Fort Dodge is in Iowa? (lots of mention of the school name and town, but not the state). Just curious.

(I'm also class of '79 - it was a great year!)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Why not just click on the RSS logo on the address bar?

<-- RSS ignoramus

I couldn't find one. I actually looked at the page source and found it that way.

Edit: Oh, are you talking about the Twitter feed? I didn't want that; I wanted an article feed.

Edit again: I see that there's a feed there for Save Hiatus as well, but there doesn't appear to be any visible feed for the blog unless you peek into the source. Chris, is there some reason you don't have this linked on the page?

Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't think I'm talking about the Twitter feed . . . I see that off to the right on the page itself. On my browser, when I load his page, on the address bar I see the same logo. When I click on it, it lists http://cabridges.com/feed as what's being added to my feed reader.

Maybe I have something loaded that you don't, or maybe it's a browser thing. To me, feeds are mysterious black magic.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Browser, I guess. Maybe.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
www.knitsandweaves.com
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't guess I actually have a website to speak of, just memberships with blogs and networks.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ha! Figured out where in the template I could manually add the RSS button next to my "Recent Posts" (stashed in the widgets.php file).

Sorry, it was a little triumph for me. I'm done now.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Farmgirl:

I guess I figured that it's for a specific audience, who would all know where Fort Dodge is. I can put that in, though, so there won't be any confusion.

Take another look at the site - I changed the theme. I like this one better - it's still flashy, but less girly (IMO).

And, I'm putting out a general call for help/advice. I've done html websites in the past, used wordpress a very little, but wanted to use drupal on my personal site. So far it seems incredibly difficult to learn and I'm not sure it's worth the effort right now. Have any of you used it? I like the idea of versatility, but wish it was easier to figure out and also that there were more (nonboring) themes available.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The people I know who used Drupal spent a lot of time using a lot of profanity. Is there a specific reason you want Drupal instead of another CMS? Like Joomla, maybe?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quid:

I totally understand why they would use profanity. It seems insanely hard. I guess I wanted something with a lot of flexibility, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Plus, the lack of (to me) attractive themes is a drawback.

I can try Joomla. I didn't do a lot of research before deciding on Drupal. But it looked like I could get all the features I wanted and they would use the same theme - which is an advantage over my Wordpress site where the forums and calendar are not themed and look like crap - or at least look boring.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.iteshi.blogspot.com/
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
CaySedai, Joomla isn't bad. Really. There are a lot of available add-on programs that integrate seamlessly, depending on what kind of functionality you need. There are a ton of themes available. It's a great little program. It takes a little while figuring out how to get around in the back end, but not that much and it's fairly logical once you figure it out.

As for your Wordpress site, you could change over your forums and calendar to the same theme as the blog. It would take some work, but definitely can be done.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quid:

Do you know of a site with instructions on changing the forums and calendar to the blog theme? I don't even know where to begin.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh goodness, no. But hubby does it, but he's more of a geek than me in this area, which is why I know it can be done. Me, I might be able to sort of but not entirely do it and break a bunch of stuff but it would still take me forever.

Fugu or katharina or Tom Davidson or a few others will likely have better ideas than me - they know their HTML, CSS, and so on much better than I do.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

I just went ahead and put Wordpress on my site. I'll try to figure out the forums and calendar later, and maybe take a look at Joomla in the future. Wordpress is easier right now and at least I can put something up.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
My website is my poorly drawn webcomic, Crossroads of Booger County: http://cobc.comicgenesis.com
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

CaySedai, when I'm trying out new stuff, I put it up on a subdomain of my site (usually called test or something) and play with it there. That way my main site is still operational and working but I can still mess around.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I missed your reply the first time around. But I'll see if I can figure that out, too. ;-)

On the plus side, I recently enrolled in the web technology program at our local community college. I had taken the first year of this program in an earlier incarnation, but it's changed so much and that was 7 years ago, so I'm just starting over.

I'm going to resist strongly if they want to make me take "intro to computers" again, though.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, good heavens, yes, it would have changed a lot in seven years. Holy moly!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link to my blog.

http://bonnieandrich.blogspot.com/

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memeyou
Member # 11696

- posted      Profile for memeyou           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had a website, how hard is it to make one?

www.foodbared.com - food good enough to blog about

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
No website? Why is your signature a link to a bog about food?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quid: when I took "intro to computers" before, it was very basic. They insisted every one take it, because some people had never used computers before. It was about naming files, basic word processing, using the Internet, things like that. I've been using PC's since 1990, owned computers since 1996, used Macs since 2001. I seriously doubt I'm going to learn a lot from "intro to computers" now, especially since they don't even schedule it until third semester of a two-year program.

(The reason I seem stuck on this subject is because they made me take it even though I had taken it before - in a different program - and they said it was too different. I beg to differ. I think it was a big waste of time and money for me.)

I don't think it will come up. It looks like it's just for people in the transfer program, and I'm not currently planning to go that route.

But as far as the rest of the program goes, I'm fully willing to repeat classes since I've hardly done any of this in the past 7 years.

And the really fun part? I'll still be working full time. Last time I was working as an overnight cashier at Walmart - going to work at 10 p.m., getting off at 7 a.m., getting kids off to school then going to school myself, sleeping from 3 to 9 p.m. At least this time I get to sleep when it's dark out. (My schedule is 2-11 p.m. Mon, Tues, Thursday-Saturday.)

So, as long as I get financial aid, I'll be good to go. I'm starting to get excited. [Wink]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

memeyou:

It can be simple to create a website or complex. You can create good websites using notepad and a browser. I started out making websites on free sites like Geocities or whatever ISP we had at the time. I suggest doing that before getting your own domain name and hosting. I finally "graduated" to that recently. I'm using Wordpress for my site now and learning as I go.

One site that explains how to create web pages is Lissa explains it all. It's designed for kids, but everybody needs to start with the basics. I also like the Dummies books for explaining things. I borrowed them from the public library.

Icarus
Member # 3162

CaySedai, I've been forced to take such intro to computers classes two or three times in my teaching career. [Roll Eyes]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Icarus: it totally sucks to have to repeat something that a) you already know and b) already took (after you already knew it) at that same college.

But, as I said, I don't think it will be an issue. It looks like it's for people taking the transfer option, which is not my plan.

The newest thing is that I got a letter from the registrar's office asking for my official college transcript. I told someone from that office last week that although I took some classes in Chicago, they won't apply to this program. All my other classes are from the same college. Can't they just look it up? (I'm all for doing things the easiest way possible!)

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
My blog/forums/gallery are all available there, talking sports and nerdy stuff.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little late to the party, but why not? I'll be without internet for a week, so I might as well plug my new blog.

http://suddenlyatheist.wordpress.com/

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.