FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've always said Oklahoma is the buckle of the Bible Belt

Author Topic: I've always said Oklahoma is the buckle of the Bible Belt
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN Video (Safe for work)

Apparently, there is an Oklahoma politician running in Oklahoma County (Oklahoma City area) and has put out a comic bashing gays. He says roads and the homosexual agenda are the big topics to run on.

I'm a pretty conservative guy, but this is ridiculous. There are so many more topics that are important.

Wow.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only a comic, but a badly drawn comic.

quote:
He says roads and the homosexual agenda are the big topics to run on.
Because you know those homosexuals are very good at eroding roads and bridges...and values.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

That's exactly what I thought.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if he were saying that the roads were good to run on, that would be an interesting pun. As it is - not a very nice image.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
what a moron. I hope he gets trounced.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I always found roads to be much better to run on than homosexuals.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice comic book. I wonder whether Sony Pictures or Warner Brothers will be first to buy the film rights.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering what types of shoes are best for running on homosexuals? Cross trainers?

On a serious note (with apologies for the bad joke above) I totally agree that this guy sounds like a true jerk, and agreed there are much more important issues in the world and I hope he is soundly trounced in the election.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
If this guy loses, it won't be from bashing gay people. Oklahoma is a VERY anti-gay state. This guy's message of hate will sell very well there.

I wish I could get MY poorly drawn comic on CNN...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could. Just get elected to office first.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: Even if I could win something like that (which I couldn't. my opinions are incredibly unpopular.) I'd have to use my real name for it. *shudder*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Are you a homophobe?"
"Well I don't actually know what homophobe means..."

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:

"Are you a homophobe?"

[Roll Eyes]
I never like using the term 'homophobe' because it always translates in my brain as in 'scared of gay people' as opposed to 'scared of being gay'.

This guy may or may not be a homophobe. He is, however, a bigot.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:

"Are you a homophobe?"

[Roll Eyes]
I never like using the term 'homophobe' because it always translates in my brain as in 'scared of gay people' as opposed to 'scared of being gay'.
I think rather than "scared of" it translates better to "averse to". This can encompass both people who don't like/don't want to be around gays, and those who are afraid of being gay themselves.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm Crazy guy+ Comic= Elected

(Hope it'll work for me.)

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Homo (same)+Phobe (extreme fear?)= Averse to homosexuals.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my problem with "homophobic" - in order for the appellation to make any kind of sense at all, you have make a special exception where "phobic" means something different than it means in all other contexts.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
That's my problem with "homophobic" - in order for the appellation to make any kind of sense at all, you have make a special exception where "phobic" means something different than it means in all other contexts.

Or just be more clear on what 'homo' is supposed to mean. If it means 'homosexuals', then you have to changed the meaning of phobic.

If it means 'homosexuality' or 'homosexual acts', then I think it applies a good portion of the time.

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it means in all other contexts.
The suffixes -phile and -phobe, in other contexts, do mean "attracted to" and "repelled from". Francophiles are not literally attracted to the French any more than homophobes are necessarily literally repelled from, or afraid of, homosexuality. In the squishy context of expressing human ideas through imperfect language, it's the best we can do at present.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
If this guy loses, it won't be from bashing gay people. Oklahoma is a VERY anti-gay state. This guy's message of hate will sell very well there.

I wish I could get MY poorly drawn comic on CNN...

You say that, but I had always heard that Tulsa has the second most homosexuals per capita. That could or could not be true. I have met plenty of homosexuals in Tulsa throughout my years of living here, but I would say my trip to San Francisco was a real eye opener. That could be the per capita thing though. Or that stat could have been hogwash. It's not like anyone is lining homosexuals up to be counted.

I agree with everyone here. This guy is an idiot.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

bro: really? I've never heard anything like that about Tulsa. Dang, it woulda been a lot easier to move to Tulsa from North West Arkansas than to move all the way out here...

I coulda been an Oklahomo.

brojack17
Member # 9189

[ROFL]

Like I said, I always "heard" that, but I'm not immersed into the culture so I can't say for sure.

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

According to...you?

Edit: I'm from Oklahoma and everyone I've spoken to or heard speak about this are scared he'll ruin Oklahoma's image, not happy he's ready to run out gays.

In fact, I hardly see how declaring all of Oklahoma as "anti-gay" and ready to buy a message of hate is not, itself, a message of hate. Just in the opposite direction...

*sigh*

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't aware Oklahoma had an image.

[Razz]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I think it looks a lot like a saucepan.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

I always said a cleaver. I describe Tulsa as being where the hole would be on a cleaver.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree that this guy is a possibly dangerous toady who can only do damage to the image of Christians, Oklahomans, Politicians and Conservatives, I do take umbrage with the title Homophobic.

This title has been too hastily slapped on to anyone who questions the appropriateness of homosexual behavior.

A homophobic person is one dreadfully afraid of homosexuality. They run from it, or turn in anger to strike at it in an irrational way. This is most obvious in self-mutilation when they strike at themselves and their own homosexual impulses.

However there are people who have rational concerns about homosexuality. If we label all of them as phobic, we can not have a discussion with them. You can't talk with crazy people.

This is similar to labeling all homosexuals as deviants or insane. It cuts off any communications.

There is no proof that this politician is homophobic. He is definitely anti-homosexual, but it appears he is trying to find a beard to distract the public from his ongoing corruption investigation.

The Gay community is the unfortunate victim of his desparation.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Ginol: I'm happy to hear Oklahoma has gotten better from when I grew up just across the boarder. Between what you and Bro said, maybe there's hope.

But not from this guy. And not from that city counsel woman who was on about the gay agenda. (anyone got a link to that? I'm not sure how I'd search for that.)

We'll see how the citizens of Oklahoma react to this gentleman in the ballot box.

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
What is it going to take to get people to understand that homosexuals and pedophiles are not synonymous? I think that annoys me more than most of his "rational" arguments for his gay-bashing. That and his assertion that "No one has been able to oppose the truth of this comic book." ...maybe because we all are too shocked by the sheer stupidity of some of his "logic"?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I hate it how people think it's their business to know who everyone else likes to sleep with.
If I choose to sleep with a woman, tell me why it's YOUR business. Give me a damn good reason, and I'll rest my case.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Because if you sleep with all the pretty women, that's less for me.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, I hate it how people think it's their business to know who everyone else likes to sleep with.
If I choose to sleep with a woman, tell me why it's YOUR business. Give me a damn good reason, and I'll rest my case.

It certainly isn't, and I wish it could stay that way.

Too many people seem to want to force the matter of who they sleep with into my business.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memeyou
Member # 11696

- posted      Profile for memeyou           Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, I think at some point there is a pragmatic reason a community needs to enforce standards in order to keep the community together. Sounds kind of authoritarian, but it's done all the time.

Should the community disapprove of homosexual relationships? There are people on both side of the argument and both sides seem to think the other is being wildly ridiculous.

We don't allow dueling to the death anymore. Why not? Everyone involved is ok with it, what business is it of ours if 2 consenting adults feel like killing each other.

Not to say I'm against it, just that it's not like there is no rational behind disallowing *insert favorite contentious item*. These consensus's change through time and between locals, too, of course.

www.foodbared.com - food good enough to blog about

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I choose to sleep with a woman, tell me why it's YOUR business. Give me a damn good reason, and I'll rest my case."

Because God told me it was, of course!

/sarcasm

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:

It certainly isn't, and I wish it could stay that way.

Too many people seem to want to force the matter of who they sleep with into my business.

I certainly agree with you on this one as well. Pride parades always piss me off because of how ridiculous they can be.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
[/qb][/QUOTE]I certainly agree with you on this one as well. Pride parades always piss me off because of how ridiculous they can be. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, it's better than the Gay Shame Festival...

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I guess. One is a rejoicing of it, the other one is more of an intolerance/hatred/whateveryouchoosetocallit kind of event.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I certainly agree with you on this one as well. Pride parades always piss me off because of how ridiculous they can be. [/QB]

They're public events so if they're an issue, you can avoid the area or change the channel. [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.