FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fox to make live action "Cowboy Bebop"

Author Topic: Fox to make live action "Cowboy Bebop"
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
No, really. We fans are ecstatic on the inside. *SOB*
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many things wrong with that subject title.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was never a big fan of Cowboy Bebop, but I can imagine the hesitance I'd feel towards any of my favorite animes being made into a live action movie.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
They totally need to cast Bruce Lee for Spike.

... oh no why is there no sobbing emoticon first avatar and now this whyyyyyyy

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
http://lca.tabulas.com/siep/bebop.jpg

Yeah...I dunno.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the series, but I wasn't a big fan of the movie. Where do you go with something like that?

Though going back to some random point in the series and having a fun adventure could be a blast. IF they get the characters right. Let's face it, Faye's most notable physical charateristic did sometimes detract from her nuanced personality. And what real actor can bring that blend of smooth con artist, studied indifference, and vulnerability we need in Spike? Disrupt the balance and you destroy the character.

I don't think live action Bebop is impossible, but it's going to be darn tough. Animation is just more forgiving than reality.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
A live action version?? Mmmm... could be cool in the fact that it would bring more attention to the original show, but knowing many Americans will just assume that the live action is the orginal and not bother to see what birthed it (see what happened to the old Roman stories that Shakespeare remade).

I loved the movie... great leadup to the final two episodes of the series.

And the last episode has the best and saddest song in Anime, "Blue".

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
noooooooooooo
nooooo
nooo
no!!!!
These remakes have got to stop. It's fine the way it is!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think a live-action Cowboy Bebop could be pulled off, and done very well...though I have little to no confidence it will be in this case.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Actually, I think a live-action Cowboy Bebop could be pulled off, and done very well...though I have little to no confidence it will be in this case.

Really? I can't think of any actor who could pull off Jeet Kune Do convincingly, let alone Spike Spiegel himself.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memeyou
Member # 11696

- posted      Profile for memeyou           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ability to do the fighting scenes with the same feel they have in the movie is more a question of the director/choreographer than it is with an actor.

www.foodbared.com - food good enough to blog about

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

quote:
Originally posted by memeyou:
I think the ability to do the fighting scenes with the same feel they have in the movie is more a question of the director/choreographer than it is with an actor.

Uh, okay. I think the actor needs some actual native skill to make it look convincing, no matter the choreography. Whenever someone with zero martial arts experience has a highly respected choreographer, the result is still someone simply aping the movements.

Case in point, Kill Bill. I was not convinced that Beatrix Kiddo knew how to hold a sword, how to punch, et cetera. The scenes looked pretty, but were not as authentic as they could have been if they had been performed by someone with Jet Li or Jackie Chan's skill. Maybe it's just my habit of nitpicking.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by memeyou:

www.foodbared.com - food good enough to blog about

"With the same feel they have in the movie"...which movie do you mean? Which fight scenes? You've lost me.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by manji:
Really? I can't think of any actor who could pull off Jeet Kune Do convincingly, let alone Spike Spiegel himself.

I'm sure there are many. There's probably someone in hollywood that studies it. I don't know about playing the character but I guarantee you Ray Park could pull off convincing on-camera Jeet Kune Do.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
This could be cool... Except... Except...

Producer Erwin Stoff is Keanu Reeves' manager... Infer what you will.

[Angst]

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
*YAWN*

Won't be better than Serenity....

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
See... I figure that the live action has ALREADY been made. And they called it Firefly.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

You guys think Joss Whedon's Firefly and Serenity were a rip-off of Cowboy Bebop?

There are far more differences than there are similarities. [Smile]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, what actor could possibly manage to not emote and occasionally smirk just like Spike? The show's got some good episodes and usually plenty of style, but I've never understood people's love of the main character. Keanu Reeves could play Spike just fine.

Though if I was doing the casting in seriousness, I would go with the ever-lanky Crispin Glover.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think Firefly was a ripoff. One of the major attractions for me to Firefly was how much it reminded me of Bebop. What will be a ripoff is when they actually TRY to do a live-action of Bebop.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

There are many more differences between Bebop and Firefly than one being animated and the other being live action.

Neither were the first "Misfits in Space" show, for that matter. [Smile]

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the actors. The only way this movie could possible be good is if Yoko Kanno does the music.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
So true
but i am not sure if she wants to go hollywood

alas.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
If she did, I'd see the movie just to hear her score in a surround sound theater. Mmmm...Farewell Blues.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so long as they use a real corgi.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
Just so long as they use a real corgi.

Awww
Corgis are so cute.

manji
Member # 11600

I hope they get a shot of Cowboy Bebop at his computer.
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
this was one of my favorite anime series of all time, including the movie. i would much rather have another anime movie or mini series. a live action cowboy bebop movie sounds awful. i cant wait to laugh at anyone who goes to see the DBZ movie.

EDIT: they better get the music right. What ever happened to The Seatbelts? where are they now?

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.