FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jesus vs. Gandalf (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jesus vs. Gandalf
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Caviezel and Ian McKellen set to re-make The Prisoner for TV in 2009.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-prisoner/

For your entertainment, the viral site is here:

http://70.87.154.219//

(I couldn't resist creating a post with this title. Sorry.)

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus wins according to Google
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
This could have been the best hatrack thread of all time.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It still can. Don't let me stop you.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf, definately. Gandalf has a sword for one, an enchanted sword! And the Elvin Ring of fire.

What does Jesus have? Nothing that wasn't already claimed by like 25 other "Messiahs".

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

OH THATS IT! He can CLONE HIMSELF!!!!
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Mithrandir Would win
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It helps that Jesus is a pacifist that wants/doesn't mind/doesn't resist death.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of them are capable of resurrecting from death, so just how are we measuring victory here? And against that sword of Gandalf's, let me point out that Jesus casts a mean curse, at least if the target is a fig tree. You never know, it might work on humans too.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus can resurrect from death willingly. Wasn't Gandalf resurrected somewhat indirectly?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Same way you deal with respawning players in Doom I'd guess. First deity (Gandalf isn't quite human) that hits a certain frag count wins.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Doctor flies in, sticks his head out of the TARDIS, laughs, and goes off to have some fun in Barcelona. (The planet.)
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it Gandalf the White or Gandalf the Gray?
Is it pre-resurrection Jesus or after?

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, seeing as how Tolkien was Catholic and in many ways intended LotR to be a Catholic story, Jesus being much higher on the religious food chain than Gandalf (Grey or White) would win easily.

Doy!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

On the other hand, the New Testament is also a Catholic story yet Jesus is killed by a few puny humans *shrug*
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. Jesus has a very protective father.

And a very powerful one.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

To quote a different franchise from the Testaments, "it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"

It doesn't matter that Jesus "could" call down fire and brimstone if he in fact doesn't and prefers to preach about love.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
While Gandalf smites fire demons.

Does Jesus have 2 hunter body guards? (in legendary mode)

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
A comment on the accuracy of: "Well, seeing as how Tolkien was Catholic and in many ways intended LotR to be a Catholic story" from Rakeesh.

The edition of the LOTR that I read had a preface by tolkien in which he said blatantly that he intended no symbolism nor allusion in his story, but that people were free to read whatever they wanted into it as long as they realized he didn't intend any.

I say Gandalf also.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Gandalf is that if he dies then he is done. Jesus seems to be able to circumvent that problem [Razz]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they fight?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
The problem with Gandalf is that if he dies then he is done. Jesus seems to be able to circumvent that problem [Razz]

Which is, again, why I think The Doctor would step in and mop the floor with both of them.

[/derail]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Why would the Doctor fight Jesus? Or Gandalf?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus is G-d. Jesus' Father is G-d. Jesus participated in the creation of the World and will participate in the World's destruction.

Gandalf knows a few real cool majic tricks and cheats death. He doesn't get resurrected.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
umm...do we all forget? Gandalf has a hat and can blow smoke rings. Point proven? I think so.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf is also a god. A polytheistic minor one, but a god none-the-less. And he doesn't die or get resurrected, his human avatar does. He just goes back to Valinor and then returns to Middle Earth. I say Gandalf wins.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Why would the Doctor fight Jesus? Or Gandalf?

Well, if we go with the premise that Jesus and Gandalf are fighting, that's a gargantuan battle that has the potential of ripping apart the seams of reality.

Someone has to fix that stuff.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please, don't ever let me have to choose sides between the Doctor and Jesus.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Oh, please, don't ever let me have to choose sides between the Doctor and Jesus.

Have you accepted The Doctor as your Time Lord and Savior?

[Big Grin]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gandalf is also a god. A polytheistic minor one, but a god none-the-less.
I believe God (big G) trumps god (little g).

Jesus is omnipotent. Gandalf is not. Gandalf could only win if Jesus allowed him too. If it was Jesus' will that Gandalf win, can it really be claimed that Jesus "lost"?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
if we go with the premise that Jesus and Gandalf are fighting
I asked about this first. I don't accept it as a given that they would fight.
Scott R
Member # 567

I'd be more interested in hearing about Tom Bombadil vs Gandalf-- even Gandalf the White.

Though I can't think of a reason they would fight, either.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I'd be more interested in hearing about Tom Bombadil vs Gandalf-- even Gandalf the White.

Though I can't think of a reason they would fight, either.

For your speculative amusement no doubt. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I believe God (big G) trumps god (little g).

How Judeo-Christian-centric of you.
I prefer to think that in this age of equality one would not practise discrimination against the gods on the basis of a big 'G' or a little 'g'.
Wouldn't want to get sued by the god Zeus [Wink]

quote:
If it was Jesus' will that Gandalf win, can it really be claimed that Jesus "lost"?
If someone loses intentionally to you while playing chess, it still counts as a loss for them on the board, even if it is Kasparov that is intentionally losing.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you accepted The Doctor as your Time Lord and Savior?
He's my Time Lord alright. Hasn't had opportunity to save me ... yet ... I'm waiting....
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

What are the rules to this game?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
rules?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Chess?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Gandalf vs. Yoda?
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's a hard one.

Mmmmm... still Gandalf though.

Back on the Jesus vs Gandalf fight, you know what I think would actually happen? I think Gandalf would go all "You shall not pass." on Jesus, and Jesus would be all "Love your neighbor." and would just sit down on the bridge and light up a pipe, and then Gandalf would see that and ask for a pull off of it, and then they'd just end up in the most awesome and colossal smoke ring/ship/object blowing contest of all time.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, excellent.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking pre-resurrection or post-resurrection Jesus?

Once Jesus ascended to heaven didn't his body become immortal. It's not like he can die again. All Jesus would have to do in order to win is judge Gandalf and cast him to Hell, outer darkness, purgatory, whatever.

Gandalf would have nothing on a resurrected Jesus. If it was a fight between the mortal pre-resurrected Jesus and Gandalf the Grey, I would have to agree with Alcon on the colossal smoke ring/ship/object contest.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
rules?

Like...what parts of each contestant's story are we allowed to use for our evaluation?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Even pre-resurrection Jesus was capable of awesome parlor tricks. See turning water into wine, (ultimate kegger trick), walking on water, (ultimate surfer trick), turning rocks into bread,(ultimate culinary trick). He escaped murderous crowds on multiple occasions and no explanation was given as to how. Also cursing the fig tree was pretty intense. TBH barring God willing that Gandalf defeat Jesus it simply would not happen.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
If Gandalf fought Jesus we would all be the losers.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think Jesus could be easier pwned if he was pulled into Middle Earth.
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf: Your powers are weak, old man.

Jesus: You can't win, Gandalf. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Zhil:

Jesus: You can't win, Gandalf. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

So...Jesus will turn into a ghost that gives common sense advice to a spunky teenager?
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't taking the analogy that far. Just that Jesus becomes more powerful than Gandalf.

But... if you consider the trinity to be a single "god", then the holy ghost is Jesus, and then...

Yea I dunno. [Frown]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Zhil:

So...Jesus will turn into a ghost that gives common sense advice to a spunky teenager?
Actually, that sounds exactly right. [Smile] This thread reminds me of the Star Wars vs. Star Trek battles you find around the nets.

I suggest we rename this thread to "Trek Wars for atheists"!

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.