FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IHT article on trolling

Author Topic: IHT article on trolling
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably one of the more disturbing things I've read.

The lack of morals, of simple human decency, of, hell, of anything resembling the better aspects of humanity really freaks me out. I can handle monsters--genocidal leaders, dictators, whatever--because it is vast and at least they believe there is a purpose, however skewed. Here, though . . . well, this is just viciousness for its own sake, for instant easy gratification.

Honestly, the guy they interview--Jason Fortuny--I don't buy his excuses. Lots of people have hard lives, so I don't accept that. And his explanations for what he does, those ring pretty false, sound more like after-the-fact justifications.

Particularly the bit with the Epilepsy Foundation's website (which disgusted me even more, because working with epilepsy treatment has given me a much stronger appreciation of how awful it is). He claims that he's--what, teaching people to be more careful about the Internet? To watch out for someone who will intrude on a safe space and do something potentially life-threatening? Wait, no, that's exactly what he did. That's like a murderer shooting a fellow, then claiming he was just trying to teach the guy he oughtta wear a bulletproof vest when he goes out.

What do you think? Is this even vaguely justifiable, any of it? Why does someone do stuff like this?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds vaguely sociopathic to me.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a thread, but having a second link is useful since NYT requires registration.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He is a putz, and nothing he says will change that. What an ass.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Lulz is watching someone lose their mind at their computer 2,000 miles away while you chat with friends and laugh," said one ex-troll who, like many people I contacted, refused to disclose his legal identity.
I'm used to that with real people. I call it The Game. I don't know if my mom just attracts the manipulative type or what, but they've been around as long as I can remember.

Personally, I play the Anti-Game. Your goal is to make me angry. My goal is to frustrate you by not giving in. If I get mad, you win. If I show no emotion until you go away, I win.

It's pretty sick, but it's the only I way I know to not get regualarly sucked in. The people who get mad just get it more often, especially if they're a Game Player themself.

quote:
It is tempting to blame technology, which increases the range of our communications while dehumanizing the recipients. But this does not explain the initial trolling impulse, which seems to spring from a destructive human urge that many feel but few act upon.
That I completely agree with. Technology just makes The Game easier to play.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
They should get out more and actually have sex with girls.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, let's be fair here. There are homosexual men and heterosexual women who never have sex with girls and don't do this sort of thing.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I play the Anti-Game. Your goal is to make me angry. My goal is to frustrate you by not giving in.
The problem is, they hold all the cards. Because you're just defending against or trying to ignore them, all they have to do is penetrate those defenses once to "win." And there are thousands of them and they have nothing better to do.

Consider what the griefers have done on various MMOs, where they can focus on tearing down someone's "accomplishments" without building up any of their own. All they need to do is figure out which thing you care about, and then ruin it for you.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
Blayne, let's be fair here. There are homosexual men and heterosexual women who never have sex with girls and don't do this sort of thing.

But they should!
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because you're just defending against or trying to ignore them, all they have to do is penetrate those defenses once to "win." And there are thousands of them and they have nothing better to do.
True, but non-reaction is boring. And there are a lot of other things to do in a day. I generaly find that 20-30 minutes is the max attention span on most folks. If you can hold out for a half hour, they're almost guaranteed to go away.

MMOs probably work a little different. I played back in the day when there were GMs to handle that sort of thing. On EQ1 no less. I've gotten the impression that there's less oversight now, but I haven't played in so long, I have no idea how it's usually handled. Guild revenge? Training half the zone on the guy?

The Anti-Game would only work if everyone refused to play while the trolls were causing problems and call the company to let them know about the ultimatum. The trolls would either give up out of boredom or be thrown out by a company afraid of losing their entire player base. Short of a full on strike, though, it would be totally ineffective in a confined space.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

nowadays the GMs just say "we do not condone griefing as it is well within the context of the game" although they make the exception for griefing newbies in the newbie zones.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy like this, once. He was the most unprepossessing person you could possibly imagine in real life. He seemed so nice, though when you got to know him better there were plenty of signs of personal pathology. But in fact he was (is, I suppose... he's likely still alive) a complete sociopath, criminal to the core.

He had all sorts of justifications, too. "I'm doing a good thing by teaching people not to leave themselves vulnerable to people like me." (Right!) "Anyone who only has locks that can be defeated is giving implicit permission for me to break in." (Uh huh.) "I'm conducting an experiment intended to explore the human psyche." (Sound familiar?) <laughs>

My explanation is that he felt so totally powerless in real life that he exulted in this pseudo power online. I actually think it's a sort of addiction that can take hold of people when they're too young to really understand what they're doing, and then never let them go. Their entire being becomes justified and supported by this "duping pleasure", the joy of fooling or playing tricks on someone else. As much harm as they can do to their victims, they're doing far more harm to themselves without realizing it. They're turning themselves into non-people, destroying their own selfness. Then their desperate need for a self drives them even more into enslavement to the only thing they've found that makes them feel real, the joy they take in harming others. It's very sad and ugly. Imagine the road back to real humanity and freedom for one such as this. It would be a dark road indeed, one requiring enormous courage and perseverance.

If you look closely at these people, I know you'll find they're all deeply, even mortally wounded. Their cruelty to others, however, is only an outer sign of their far worse cruelty to themselves, and every evil act they do burns many times deeper into their own flesh.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the first part of your post, but I think it's unlikely that any of this behavior actually harms the people doing it more than it harms their victims. There are definitely people in this world who are so totally lacking in human empathy that they only really feel physical pain or the "pain" that comes from being restricted from acting on whatever impulses are driving their behavior.

Also, I believe that abuse/neglect in early childhood (or rather, at the "wrong" developmental periods in childhood) can trigger this kind of mental aberration, I don't think that abuse alone is a sufficient explanation. And I think it makes a lousy excuse.

Ultimately, I predict we will pass more laws against this kind of behavior because:
1) We find the behavior intolerable
2) Laws are basically the way we have in our society to address misbehavior

I don't really think there are more sociopaths out there today than there ever have been. But I think that the anonymity of the internet makes it easier for certain types of these folks to get their "fix" and to escalate their behavior.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* Longer version posted in this thread:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=053443;p=0&r=nfx#000000

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
By trolling the Epilepsy Foundation's website, he thinks that he is helping people by showing them their weaknesses. All he is doing is hurting people and justifying his pleasure in it.

An analogy to this is the Jigsaw killer from Saw. The circumstances are of course widely different, but the game is the same. They both think they are helping people, but an objective observer can see that the opposite is obvious.

Not that I want to talk about Saw, but Jason Fortuny (from the article) really seems to think he is helping people, even as he enjoys their pain. I would call him a child, but most normal children are capable of empathy.

I have known several people like this. They are so miserable and insecure that the only way they can get any feeling of self worth is to drag others along into their despair.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
How disturbing.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Email me if you want to hear the story I had posted here. I really don't feel comfortable telling it here.

[ August 05, 2008, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
*agrees with Bob* (as usual)
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I will erase this post in about five minutes, but feel free to email me if you have any questions.)
*puzzled* Why'd you post it if you're going to erase it five minutes later? I'm confused... [Confused]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I just don;t want it up for long. I am paranoid, but wanted to share a story that is very real, so people can be cautious.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.